UC Irvine (OOS) vs UC Davis (OOS) vs Skidmore (full ride) for psychology

Oh honey.

Your dreams are bigger than your budget, and your goals are still forming. Taking on debt without a clear plan is never a good strategy. Taking on debt when you have a superb alternative is an actively bad plan.

I don’t know what rankings you are referring to, as Skidmore is not typically ranked in the same groupings as the UCs (LAC v National University), but from a prestige perspective, Skidmore is not lower than UC-I or UC-D.

If you have your heart set on California, and that is the perspective you took with you to Skidmore, then I would expect that you would have seen every possible negative and dismissed every possible positive. Being brutally honest with yourself: did you really give it a fair chance?

Anyway, if your only 3 choices at this point are 2 that you cannot afford and 1 one that you do not like, then your best options are:

1. community college for 2 years and then apply to transfer to a school that suits your needs at that time;
  2. a gap year or
  3. checking out the clearing house to see who still has openings for this autumn that you can afford (though you will almost certainly trading down).
3 Likes