UC Merced Class of 2027 Official Thread

I’m checking ucm immunization requirement but found that they are quite strict, is the Covid 19 booster shot also required? there is another one called Meningococcal which requires taking after 16 years old. Don’t know how UCM handle those students that are not fully meeting those immunization requirements, can they go to school first then take them in school clinic?

These vaccine requirements are required at all UC campuses. Some have deadlines after school starts (ex. flu shot is usually by Nov 1). Others are required before you can register for classes. For COVID, the primary series is required, along with at least one booster.

UC Merced has a FAQ page. If your question isn’t answered there, they have a phone number to call.

If your questions have not been answered on this page, please contact the Immunization Line at 209-228-2273 Option 4

Thanks! I’ll give them a call next week.

1 Like

Oh ok so you would get that sorted out before SIR

Because I am prob gonna try to commit to a school in the next 2 weeks so I can start my housing app

you decided to commit on ucm already? you probably still remember me from UCR site.

No not yet Im thinking UCM CPP OR CSUF I got a Full Ride to UCM. CPP doesn’t”t pay for housing & still waiting on the award letter to CSUF. Gonna tour them next week.

1 Like

Just Toured UCM. Thoughts, very nice & clean campus The only problem I see its literally in the middle of fields. They have transportation to merced & shopping center. But it might take me a while to get used to.

6 Likes

I have attended the UCM Bay Area event. Very well organzied. They said all the upper division classes are small class oriented. For lower classes, they are around 200 students, but still are professors teaching. TAs are for student assistance only. A lot of opportunities for research. Buses are available for shopping areas.

3 Likes

Yup its honestly not a bad choice, campus is so nice most of the buildings got a complete renovation in 2020. Yea its in the middle of fields But its like having a private UC. I don’t get why people talk so badly about it. Anyways Im almost 100% sure im going to commit but i want to wait on my csuf award letter

6 Likes

Honestly, I believe you make a good choice. UCM is not bad at all. It has all you need to become successful. The old students have shared their successful stories at the event. If you work hard at UCM, you will be as successful as at other UCs. If you are just playing at school, you will fail no matter which UC schools you go to. Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you have you guys committed to any school yet?

We couldn’t make it to the Bay Area event but thank you very much for coming back here with your thoughts. Merced does seem isolated, but if there are kids intent on making friends, there will be something to do. I noticed that there are a lot of churches which helps as there could be volunteer opportunities. Plus the hospital is another place to volunteer.

1 Like

I think it’s the research opportunities that could make a kid stand out if they are interested in grad/medical school. I’m not sure how easy it is to get these positions at other UCs.

I’m sure you received the colorful brochure they sent recently with the acceptance letter. They highlighted a few graduates from UCM, and I’m really impressed with where they are now.

1 Like

I attended the bay area event too, and surprised to see so many people attended this event (maybe over a thousand?), it shows that UCM is getting quite popular in Californians. That has changed my old thoughts about UCM, it has a big potential to continuously go up. I visited UCM campus months ago, it’s true that it’s located in the middle of farmland, but the school itself is quite new and clean, looks great. I don’t care too much about whether a school is in the middle of farmland, as long as it can teach my kid well, then my kid’s college education is successful.

2 Likes

I am planning to attend the April 22nd event (Bobcat day) with my son. I really want him to visit the campus in person before he makes the final decision. I believe it is only around 2 hours drive from bay area.

2 Likes

I have read a ton on UCM and I agree it seems like a private UC. Everything I have read, UCM has great programs and research opportunities with fantastic teachers. Go for it! And then let us all know how your first year is going.

1 Like

Yes I was about 60% before the tour of commiting before the Tour now im about 100% unless offered a full ride to another school closer to me.

4 Likes

That’s wonderful…I’m rooting for you and UCM.

Have you committed yet ?