UC Riverside Class of 2027 Official Thread

Thank you! Hopefully I get accepted.

So do you think acceptances will come out at 6 A.M.

*meant to say 6 P.M.

Could be just check your portal everyday at 12pm and 6pm

1 Like

DD- Waitlisted for Environmental Engineering
Unweight GPA: 3.8. / Weighted 4.1
Capped GPA: 4.2
Instate
EC: Participated in a highly competitive program, research, and leadership positions. Unfortunately, I hired a terrible college counselor for UC PIQs. DD could have done a better job on her own.

Another Painful UCR waitlist for my son (computer engineering) today. He applied to 5 UC’s and 5 Cal states with around a 4.2/3.8+. Passed 5 Ap exams in one year and had a tons of leadership and multiple sports Captain rolls. Got into Fullerton and Cal state San Marcos. Rejected UCLA and UCSB. Waitlist - UCSD, UCR (today), Long Beach, SDSU, and UCi. Still waiting for Cal Poly Slo which I now believe will be a rejection or waitlist. Frustrating not to be able to plan or know. He’s really not interested in the two he got into. Shocked with the UCR, SDSU, and Long Beach waitlists. Maybe the major he’s trying to get into.

2 Likes

CS and CE are the hardest ones to get into. Didn’t your son apply for UC Merced CS?

1 Like

I think its because of the PIQs? All the UCs are very heavy on that.

If he is not interest in CSU Fullerton or San Marcos, why apply to them in the first place? That is why it is important that all schools on any students college list be places that they are willing to attend.

1 Like

Were his PIQs good?

The UC GPA I am referring to is the weighted capped one.
https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

CSUs are all good. Fullerton is a solid option. Is there a reason he is not interested in it?

2 Likes

@littleB7
Completely agree that Fullerton is a good option. Both son’s had friends that attended CSUF and are doing quite well post grad. One is an Mechanical Engineer working for Boeing and other was a CS major working at a startup in San Diego.

2 Likes

In a way my son prefers CSU over UC for engineering because he has heard that CSU is much more hands on, learn by doing while UC can be more theoretical. I don’t know for sure if this is true, but based on this information he prefers the CSU method. He is waitlisted at UCR but ok with it because he’s been accepted to ME at Cal State Fullerton. Good luck to your son as he makes his decision.

1 Like

Our kids (mine included !) really put the UC brand on a pedestal but it helps to point out to them that UCs typically only provide an edge in research. Where actual job skills/hard skills are concerned , a CSU definitely can hold up on its own merit and some of these urban CSUs actually have great access to internships and jobs.

4 Likes

That is a very good gpa for UCR

I thought they were really good and we had a prior uc admission friend help with suggestions.

1 Like

What were his ecs?

Good to hear. Maybe that will end up being an option.

We didn’t get to visit some of the campuses until after applications were due. We applied to all that were more southern California not really knowing all the details. After visiting a few, he had his favorites.