UC San Diego Class of 2027 Official Thread

Created a separate thread to vent about UCSD decisions here - Vent about UC decisions

It means your dorm will be in that Roosevelt college’s dorm if you choose to live on campus and your GE requirements is defined by Roosevelt. I believe someone posted the GE requirements of all the colleges a couple days ago.

You should also see your major in the portal.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words.
Congratulations to your applicant for getting in UCLA!

1 Like

My son was accepted! He is so excited!
Weighted GPA: 4.29, unweighted GPA: 3.97
Number of a-g courses taken 9-12th: 27 a-g
Number of UC approved Honors/AP/IB or DE classes: 1 honors, 6 AP’s
Intended Major: Media
Non-local CA resident from large public high school, Bay Area
Not ELC
EC’s: Varsity Baseball, acting, lots of film-related EC’s

Accepted to: UCSD, CSULB, CSUN, SF State, Puget Sound, ASU
Waitlisted at: UCD, LMU, UCSC
Rejected at: UCLA, UCI

This whole experience has been very unpredictable.

2 Likes

D accepted for Economics!

Weighted GPA 4.33, UW 3.94
Number of A-G classes: 35 years
10 AP, 3 honor, plus 24 college credits
San Diego resident from large public high school
ELC- yes
2 sport varsity athlete, president and VP of 2 large clubs- one academic, lots of ECs!

Accepted to: CP SLO, UCSD, SDSU, Westmont Augustinian
Waitlisted: UCLA
Rejected: UCI

*Slo is her dream school, so probably committing there!

3 Likes

Hi … My Daughter is accepted in chemistry major at UC San Diego, but lately she wants to switch to biochemistry major, is it possible for it?

Thanks a lot !

Accepted!! (History major)

UW GPA: 4.0
W GPA: 4.48

6 APs, 2 Honors, 2 Dual enrollments (all 5’s on exams, 4 on one)
ELC (top 9%): yes
Awards: book award from another university, UoR high school award in the humanities, social impact fellowship designed to bridge educational inequities for first-gen students, NSLI-Y finalist, U.S. youth ambassador finalist, national award for first-gen students
ECs: Japanese-American exchange program, president of culture clubs, Spanish honor society, mental health; AP World history tutor, owner of a blog, superintendent student advisory council
Accepted to: Cal Poly Slo, St. Andrew’s, UCSD, SDSU, Cal Poly SLO, UC Irvine, UCSC, SJSU, UCD, Macalester, Bowdoin, Williams, Amherst,Reed, Case Western, Rochester, American, UVA, SFSU
Waitlist: UCLA, Pomona college

College admissions is truly random! I hope everyone receives the news they desire in the future <3 Thank you for being a supportive thread. I wish you all the best.

3 Likes

Seventh College is the newest among all colleges, but currently they are constructing Eight College at Theater District Living and Learning Neighborhood.

1 Like

Don’t know acceptance rate, but if the ranking matters to anyone - UCSD bio med/bio engineering at Jacob ranking in 2022 (USnews) ties #4 in the country with Berkeley and Stanford. #1 is John Hopkins and #2 is MIT, GA Tech. Then 3 ties between UCB, Stanford, & UCSD. https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/biomedical-rankings

2 Likes

Thank you so much. This is very helpful. It will make it easier for me to convince my son.

Hi … My Daughter is accepted in chemistry major at [UC San Diego] but lately she wants to switch to biochemistry major, is it possible for it?

Thanks a lot !

1 Like

It looks like biochemistry is an uncapped major, so she should be able to switch to it with no problems. Here is a list of majors at UCSD (capped majors are marked with *) Undergraduate Majors at UC San Diego

Hi … My Daughter is accepted in chemistry major at UCbut lately she wants to switch to biochemistry major, is it possible for it?

Thanks a lot !

Decision: Accepted
Major applied to: General Biology
Muir College

ACADEMIC STATS::
UC Unweighted GPA: 4.0
Weighted GPA: 4.727

Comments about course load (including senior year):
Number of AP courses/exams (scores in parentheses): 7 AP (5, 4, 4, 3) 3 pending
Number of IB courses/exams (score in parentheses): 0

Bio Med STEM program
Class rank # 3 of 500

SUBJECTIVE::

Extracurriculars: Varsity Baseball, STEM club, school spirit club

Job/Work Experience: none

Volunteer/Community service: yes

DEMOGRAPHICS::

State/location of HS (if domestic applicant): CA , Riverside County

Applied for need-based financial aid? NO

First Generation? NO

Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/denied:

Accepted UCLA, UCI, Chapman, SDSU, CS Monterey Bay, CS San Marcos, La Verne, ASU, SUU, NAU, U of Utah, U of Hawaii, Hawaii Pacific, Point Loma

Denied: Univ of Texas Austin - Biology

1 Like

Major applied to: Nano engineering (1st choice)
Roosevelt College

ACADEMIC STATS::
UC Unweighted GPA: 4.0
UC capped GPA: 4.32
Weighted GPA: 4.48

Comments about course load (including senior year):
Number of AP courses/exams (scores in parentheses): 4 (5,5,5,3) - his school didn’t offer many APs and I’m glad they understood that!

Number of IB courses/exams (score in parentheses): 0

Community college DE classes: 5 including linear algebra

Class rank - high school doesn’t rank them

SUBJECTIVE::

Extracurriculars:

Job/Work Experience: part time one summer

Volunteer/Community service: yes - started his own nonprofit for learning disabilities

DEMOGRAPHICS:: South Asian male
(race is not considered by UCs but guidance counselor told us this demographic is a disadvantage everywhere outside CA, and this seems to be true based on outcomes)

State/location of HS (if domestic applicant): CA , San Mateo county

Applied for need-based financial aid? NO

First Generation? NO

Other: couple of learning disabilities. Important factor in understanding why not lots of ECs…and for understanding how hard it was to maintain a 4.0!

Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/denied:

Accepted:
UCD, UIUC, Virginia Tech - all for materials engineering, his first choice

Cal Poly Pomona, SJSU - for comp sci

Denied:
UT Austin, Purdue - both for engineering

Cal Poly SLO hasn’t gotten back so assuming it’s a no
Stevens Institute of Tech - waitlisted (they know he applied as a safety I guess :grinning:)

1 Like

https://fas.ucsd.edu/types/scholarships/regents-scholarships-for-entering-freshmen.html

Entering freshmen and transfers without demonstrated financial need receive an annual honorarium of $5,000. Entering freshmen will receive the honorarium for 4 academic years.

Regents scholars who are CA residents, and have demonstrated financial need will receive additional scholarship and/or grant funds to meet the financial need for 4 undergraduate academic years for freshmen.

Beyond the financial award, the biggest perk is priority registration.

Major: Molecular and Cell Biology
UC unweighted GPA: 4.0
UC weighted & capped GPA: 4.33
UC fully weighted GPA: 4.58
Number of A-G classes: 24
Number of UC approved Honors/AP/IB or DE courses: 11
In-State/OOS/International: In-state, local
ELC (top 9% CA HS): Yes
ECs: too many to list (varsity basketball, clubs, leadership roles, academic league, internship, part-time job)

Accepted: UCD, Cal Poly SLO, UW, UO, CU Boulder, SDSU
Waitlisted: UCLA, UCSC
Waiting on: UCSB, Berkeley, USC, Emory, Tufts, Wash U (deferred from ED)

She is very excited! I couldn’t agree more with the people who’ve said this process has been very unpredictable. We’re just happy it’s almost over and these kids can take a much needed break (hopefully) over the summer.

5 Likes

Hi! My son is a recent 4 yr rotc scholarship winner. He got into UCSD and Steven’s for Aerospace/Mechanical engineering. Since we want to make the best use of the scholarship, we were seriously looking at Stevens until yesterdays result. Is Steven’s not a good school for engineering.

Waitlisted for math/music
4.0UW, 11APs, 3 CE, school doesn’t rank but in top 9%, in-state
AIME + strong music ECs/awards
Pretty disappointed, does anyone have any insight?

1 Like

Daughter Accepted - Major - IS-International Business
In State
UWGPA - 3.96
UC GPA 4.3
WGPA - 4.75
9 AP
Accepted - UCI, UCSD, UCD, UCSC, UCR, Cal Poly SLO, SDSU, USD, Santa Clara
Rejected - UCLA

2 Likes