UC San Diego Class of 2027 Official Thread

This is the college that my D23 was just admitted to, and I’m feeling like it’s a great fit for her based on the GE requirements (not too much math!) and the location and housing. We loved this area of the campus when we visited, and it seems centrally located? Do most students live in the housing for 2 years and then move off campus?

1 Like

Definitely take advantage of the 2 years housing guarantee, they have apartment styles housing for continuous and new transfer students and they are very nice. Otherwise, I heard nearby off-campus housing are expensive.

1 Like

That’s great to hear. Thanks! Just in the few little video tours I’ve watched so far, it looks more spacious than UCLA triples that my son has lived in. Plus so many dining options right there. Kind of excited about UCSD just based on the dorm lol. Guess that’s not what she should make a decision based on, but a nice dorm definitely doesn’t hurt!

4 Likes

My daughter is currently at Revelle. UC San Diego is not socially dead. It’s a lie. One thing is true though. If your kid doesn’t wanna spend a lot of time in the library studying, this is not a place for them. This place is very competitive.

5 Likes

My son also got into Sixth and is having similar thoughts. Through the whole college application process he was telling me dorms don’t matter to him, but then when he started looking for info about his college after he got his UCSD admissions decision, “Mom, Sixth looks really nice!” :rofl:

1 Like

@MatadorGuy my son is also deciding between UCSD and UC Davis and I was so bummed to see their admitted students day is on the same day. That being said, he has spent quite a bit of time at UCSD as that is where his older brother went, but I want him to relook at it through the lens of an admitted student. I can’t stand all the hoopla that it is socially dead. My oldest had a great college experience, he did study hard, but also found life long friends and had plenty of social opportunities. I think college is what you put into it. My second is at UCLA and the big difference is the sports, the students do so much partying and socializing around the sporting events. Since neither UCSD or UCD are big sports schools, I wonder if socially they are somewhat similar…keeping an eye on this thread for any more information people can share.

Thanks!

1 Like

Great point about the sports. I think that’s one of the reasons I was feeling sad for my daughter not being admitted to UCLA – the sports and rah rah team spirit is so fun there! BUT then I remembered that D23 couldn’t care less about sports. So no need to be sad about that for her at Davis or SD or wherever else. :rofl:

2 Likes

@GoldRush2 my third is not into all the sporting events and has said that is not a priority to him. I went to a huge sporting school and loved it so much and have to remember this is his journey not mine. So similar to you, don’t have to feel sad for him not to get that experience.

His sister is at sdsu and his gf will be so if he feels the need to watch an event he can cheer them on.

Great input, thanks. Regarding sports, UCSD just switched to Division 1 for all sports and have adequate facilities, so the potential is there for a similar positive sports support environment like UCSB has. My son and I attended a UCSD Men’s basketball game earlier this season, and it was fun, even though it was empty (they even had a nice little pep band)

It’s not make or break for my son if a school has a mega sports-events atmosphere, but he makes a good point that it’s nice to have a common-ground event that brings students together for free like a well-attended sports game where people can show their school pride.

Davis has football that’s well supported - but they don’t have La Jolla beach right next door :slight_smile:
We will see what he chooses. I’m leaning towards him attending the Triton Day to confirm his positive thoughts for UCSD vs Aggie Day might muddy things more, but we keep going back and forth.

1 Like

UC “socially dead” is a myth. :blush:

1 Like

She will love Sixth dorm ocean view and the sunset! Plus the food is the best among all the dining hall although she could dine at any dorms. My son (in Warren) frequently ate at Sixth dining hall since he took several classes at Sixth lecture hall.
Most students live off-campus in junior/senior year except students who received 4 year housing. The rent is likely similar to Santa Cruz or Berkeley. There are off-campus apartment but you have to look early.

Thank you! This is so helpful.

Agree that dining commons and lobby hang-out areas in dorms were a key place for socialization and connection 35 years ago when I was in school and sadly both seem to be disappearing. That said, I am not sure it is solely to blame for UCSD “dead” reputation. SDSU has the opposite social reputation and also no traditional dining halls.

We are very impressed with UCSD chancellor Khosla for his vision so far. His vision and effort for the improvement is palpable every year. Not only many new grandeur construction projects but also community became very vibrant.

2 Likes

Someone up the thread asked if the environment at UCSD was competitive, and I answered that I didn’t think it was overly competitive. Maybe I just thought it was at the level to be expected when we have all these intelligent and hardworking students in one place. :slightly_smiling_face:

Missed posting this earlier, doing my part as I’ve found so much useful info in CC…

Decision: Accepted, Seventh (1st choice)
Major (and division if applicable) applied to: Environmental Systems

ACADEMIC STATS::
UC Unweighted GPA: 4.0
UC Capped Weighted GPA: 4.4
UC Fully Weighted GPA: 4.7
ELC (top 9% CA HS): Yes

Comments about course load (including senior year):
Number of a-g courses: 24 years
Number of UC Approved Honors courses: 12 years
Number of AP courses/exams (scores in parentheses): 11 (5 tests taken, all 5’s, 6 courses senior year)
Number of IB courses/exams (score in parentheses): 0

SUBJECTIVE::

Extracurriculars: environmental clubs/activities, speech & debate (nationally ranked, many awards), varsity athlete (for fun, not ranked or recruited), all ECs included leadership roles
Volunteer/Community service: 200+ hours
Summer Activities: environmental research, community service, debate camp
Supplemental/Augmented Review: No

DEMOGRAPHICS::

State/location of HS (if domestic applicant): CA Public
Country (if international applicant): US
First Generation? No

REFLECTION::

Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/denied:
accepted: UCSC, UCD, UCI, UCLA, Northeastern, UMD College Park, UMN Twin Cities
waitlisted: Pomona
deferred to RD: Stanford
denied: none so far

2 Likes

Waitlisted:
Weighted GPA: 4.4, unweighted GPA: 4.0
Number of a-g courses taken 9-12th: (skipped 11th, so graduation in 3 years) 27 a-g
Number of UC approved Honors/AP/IB or DE classes: 4 Honors, 1 AP, 10 DE college classes
Intended Major: Environmental Science
Non-local CA resident from small public high school in rural area
Top 9% of class at junior year for UC
EC’s: Varsity Cheer, ASB Vice President, class VP’s 2 years, Interact, NHS, part-time job 15 hours per week. Good PIQ’s.

Waitlisted: UCSD, UCD
Accepted: UCSC, SDSU, Cal Poly SLO, Cal Poly Humboldt, U of Arizona
Denied: UCLA

As of now, probably headed to Cal Poly SLO.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your clarification about PIQs and explanation about fit. I had a similar experience as your DD (UCSD and UCI waitlist + UCLA rejection), but I was admitted to Tufts and UCSB today!

3 Likes

has anyone been to the admitted student reception, not the one on campus but in nearby areas? we just received an invititation to the in Los Angeles on the 25th.