UC Santa Barbara Class of 2027 Official Thread

I’ll be majoring in communication btw~

The admit rate for UCSB’s College of L&S was 27% with an average 4.40 Uncapped fully weighted UC GPA for 2022. The College of L&S does not admit by major.

man my D23 would like to get an offer from UCSB for Env. Science… She has an unweighted UC GPA above that, but… it’s been mixed bag on the other UCs…

Same…hoping for an admit to environmental science from UCSB for my daughter as well. She was waitlisted at UCLA and feeling a little defeated.

1 Like

Hi applied for the letters and sciences physics BS path. What do you like about the CCS BA degree?

2 Likes

How do they not at all admit by major if they have target enrollment by major?

2 Likes

I think that could apply to most majors. My kid was ranked top 15% in her class comfortably (by 0.5 GPA almost) in the top 9% statewide and she’s been flat out denied by UCSD, UCI, UCLA. Waitlisted for UCD but accepted (fortunately) into UCM, UCSC, UCR.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Did she apply to Cal Poly SLO? Hope she has an acceptance that she is excited about - best of luck!

What time do UCSB results get released tomorrow?

1 Like

They may have target enrollments for each major but students are free to change majors within the College of L&S regardless of the major listed on their application. UCLA, UCSC, UCB all do not admit by major into their College of L&S.

From the UCSB FAQ: * College of Letters and Science: A request for a change of major in the College of Letters and Science is guaranteed for freshman applicants (except for majors that require an audition). A list of majors can be reviewed on our Majors page. Students will see the change of major reflected in their applicant portal in 48 hours.

3 Likes

My son is in exact same boat - Applied to Engineering in all UCs and got in so far only in UCSC, UCR, UCM , waitlisted in UCD and waiting Calpoly

@Gumbymom What is the admit rate for Mechanical engineering at UCSB?

1 Like

The CCS Physics major also leads to a BS degree. The lower division Physics class sizes are smaller. You can find the description of the major & the major sheet in the link above. My kid is in CCS Chemistry/Biochemistry (smaller cohort) and has access to research opportunities.

1 Like

UCSB does not post the ME admit rate. The College of Engineering information is a 22% admit rate, Uncapped Fully Weighted UC GPA GPA average of 4.52 (App-21,350 Admit-4775) from 2022.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone can make a blanket statement like that.

At every UCSB in-person admission session I have attended, they emphasized that they want to see math, math and more math when determining if a student is academically prepared for engineering. This video gives a little more insight and says you must choose engineering as your first choice.

1 Like

I have no expertise here. Just hypothesizing after reading the UC forums admit stats. I would love for it to be proven wrong, which might offer a shred of hope. :sparkles:

It is great if UCSB weighs math heavily as my son is currently taking LinAlgebra/Diff Eq/Multi Calc dual enrollment right now :crossed_fingers:. Thank you for sharing the presentation - appreciate it!

7 Likes

(Almost) Exact same case here! I am applying for physics as well and is waitlisted by both UCI and UCSD. Good luck to your son!

1 Like

Good luck to you too! I hope you have some good options so far?

3 Likes

Well not really, I am an international student and I only applied to a handful of schools. So far I got UIUC but my parents won’t let me go there. So UCSB is probably my last hope.

1 Like