UC Santa Barbara Class of 2027 Official Thread

UIUC is an excellent school! What is their concern about it?

1 Like

They never tell me the exact reason but I guess it’s either A) It is way too cold there or B) they never heard about it and assumed it is a bad school. I tried arguing with them but well, the rulings are final. :pensive:

1 Like

how do out of staters usually get to UCSB? fly to LAX and take some kind of shuttle bus? or fly all the way to UCSB after transferring in PHX or Denver or something like that? is getting to UCSB hard (getting to, not getting in to)?

Is there a link for these stats?

Thank you

1 Like

The numbers are my notes from the UC Counselor conference 2022. You can look at the presentation slides here: Box

2 Likes

When I went to UCSB (back in the day) I would usually fly into Santa Barbara. The airport is very close to the school. But, that is usually more expensive and less flight options. It is the most convenient. Otherwise you can fly into LAX but that drive is usually 2.5 - 3+ hours depending on traffic. There is a bus that goes directly from LAX to Santa Barbara.

4 Likes

Other options:
Back in the day, I used to take 2h Amtrak ride from LA to SB a lot and then take the free (for students) transit bus to UCSB. Beautiful views & lounges on Coastal Starlight. I even got on the train from SB then onto LA-Chicago train to see Grand Canyon. :wink:

On a student budget, I took greyhound from San Jose a few times to SB and then the transit bus. I hear there is a convenient & safer bus btw UCSB & SF Bay Area now (4.5h).

2 Likes

Can everyone register this event?
Next Steps for Admitted Freshman Students (ucsb.edu)

My son, a freshman, flies out of Santa Barbara Airport all the time. It’s super convenient and is a quick bus ride from campus. He flies Southwest and I believe they have flights to/from Phoenix and Denver.

2 Likes

Im able to, are you?

Yes

SWA started flying into Santa Barbara two years ago.

3 Likes

Looks like it is for applicants even though it says admitted students

2 Likes

If it makes you all feel any better my DS was accepted to UCSC, UCD, and Poly while waitlisted at UCI and UCSD with a denial to UCLA. Pre-Chem. major declared for UCSB. Have no idea how it will impact his chances…

1 Like

Yeah

That GPA is a self-reported GPA, and giving a fully weighted one is interesting bc I believe UCB and UCLA are the only ones that look at Capped and Uncapped weighted GPA for admissions. Not sure what that GPA really represents for UCSB.

Just checked and looks like the UCSB portal is down. It’ll be back up tomorrow at 3!

2 Likes

Are you hypothesizing that applicant must be ELC to get in Engineering at any UC, or at certain UC’s? Son goes to a relatively small private school with 132 students for the current 12th grade class. If ELC is the top 9%, that is about 11-12 students. I had asked their counselor whether he is within that 9% and counselor didn’t think so. Students are not openly ranked so we don’t really know. School has +/- with grades. A+ is still a 4 but A- is 3.67. Son has 1 A- every semester from 9-11 grade, 2 A- last semester, so school GPA was 3.95 at the time of UC application, 3.93 now. Luckily UC GPA doesn’t have +/-. Maybe that’s why he is accepted at UCM, UCR, UCSC, UCI, UCLA for mechanical engineering? He is waitlisted at UCD for mechanical engineering and accepted at UCSD for applied math (second choice major). UCD and UCSD want ELC applicants for Engineering?

Just want to put this out for all the seniors stressing/heartbroken from Friday’s results.

I personally think it’s rather cruel that they don’t release all the decisions together.

After I was rejected at UCLA, and waitlisted at UCSD and UCI, the following weekend was probably the darkest I’ve ever had. I was heartbroken that all the work I had put in throughout the past 4 years were in vain.

I went into the day mentally preparing myself for a rejection/waitlist.

Instead, I was accepted:

Now that I’ve finished more than half of my first year here at UCSB as a Computer Engineering student, I feel confident in saying that you truly will end up where you belong, whether at UCSB or somewhere else.

Going to college is so much more than prestige or rankings or acceptance rates. It’s about learning, making friends and building connections.

No matter what happens tomorrow, you’ll end up just fine :slight_smile:

17 Likes

@Gumbymom I remember actually I did some calculations for UCSB’s CS major to estimate the acceptance rate.

Alright – CS at UCSB is a very very small major, around ~110 people a year. The College of Engineering is the smallest of any UC campus, only around 1500 undergrads.

We have data for UCLA: 2021-UCEE-Report.pdf (ucla.edu)

According to this document, UCLA CS, CSE and CE received around a total of 13k applications in 2021. Let’s be conservative and say that UCSB received around 10k applications for CS in 2022.

We know from here: Undergraduate Studies | Computer Engineering | UC Santa Barbara (ucsb.edu)

CE Program Statistics (Fall 2022)

• 2235 applicants | 428 admitted | 81 enrolled
  • Average incoming GPA: 4.45
  • Lower Division average classroom size: 140 students
  • Upper Division average classroom size: 70 students

that UCSB Computer Engineering has a yield of around 19%, higher than the university at large. It’s likely that CS has an even higher yield, but let’s estimate the yield for CS also at 19%.

110 spots divided by 19% yield means around 578 acceptances per year.

578 divided by our prior estimate of 10,000 CS applicants results in an acceptance rate of 5.78% for Fall 2022.

For comparison, UCLA CS has an acceptance rate of 5.4%. They have higher numbers of applicants but also a much larger CS major, totally 220 people across CS and CS+E

hope this helps.

1 Like