UC Santa Barbara Class of 2027 Official Thread

Statewide Guarantee or Statewide Index is different than Local Guarantee or Eligibility in Local Context (ELC).

The Eligible in the Local Context (ELC) pathway is determined strictly by an applicant’s GPA in comparison to the GPAs of other students at their high school. The Statewide Index is separate from ELC and is one of two pathways available for California residents to secure a guarantee of admission.

Statewide Index instructions
These step-by-step instructions will show you how to determine if you’re in the top 9% of California high school graduates. Remember, this is just an estimate and not a guarantee that you will be in the top 9% when you apply to UC.

From the Statewide Guarantee FAQ page:
Math and LOTE courses completed in 7th and/or 8th grades count toward the A-G totals in the updated Statewide Index.

1 Like

Good morning from UC Santa Barbara! Todays the day :slight_smile: good luck to all the applicants!

19 Likes

What, in your opinion, is the best coffee shop near/at UCSB?

Is everyone able to register for admitted students’ events? Next Steps for Admitted Freshman Students

If u need your PERM number, search the email regarding portal that was sent in Jan

Thank you! Parents are equally traumatized as the kids! Good luck to everyone!

4 Likes

Edward you are killing us with these :grinning: gorgeous pictures of UCSB. I will NOT be showing these to my DD if she’s rejected today. However I WILL show her them if she’s accepted (or waitlisted), as she’s only been to Santa Barbara once for a family wedding in June and she thinks it’s “gloomy” and “foggy.” I explained to her the concept of “June gloom” that she’ll mostly miss as she’d be home in the summers. . .we have a tour of UCSB planned for her in April if she’s admitted.

1 Like

My understanding is that only admitted students can attend. We got a special link invite from the other UCs.

I’m able to register for it and it says “registration is restricted to fall 2023 applicants who are admitted”
So I got in?

Everyone can sign up

I wouldn’t read into this. Didn’t mean anything for other UCs.

1 Like

If living off campus, do the kids live in SB? Or nearby towns? Seems like a very expensive town. Homes are valued in the millions.

Haha I think of “June Gloom” as a San Diego thing, which I always warn people about when they want to visit that time of year! The colors of the flowers really pop in the gloom, though, so kind of a plus!

I also agree on the photos, too. So beautiful!

1 Like

Goleta is the “town” where UCSB is and that is where most students live.

1 Like

I would love to praise UCSB here. They told us the date from the beginning of march. And now the portal is closed so no UCSD oopsies. They told us the exact time decisions will be available.

No guessing games. No random reloading of the portal. No mistakes. COMMUNICATION.
Thank you UCSB for my sanity.

20 Likes

Agree. It was the same way in 2021. One of the few sane admissions processes. Go Gauchos!

2 Likes

3:15pm PST right?

1 Like

100% Agree

IslaVista, Goleta is the (fun/famous/infamous) neighborhood right next to UCSB that a lot of students live when they are done with the dorms. I have great memories from past. Not common to live in Goleta town center but maybe some people (grad/post-doc) do. Bus rides were free for students.

3 Likes

Does anyone have stats for the Zoology major? Is Zoology considered a competitive major at UCSB?

Zoology is found in the College of Letters and Sciences which does not admit by major so all applicants would be competing in the same applicant pool.

The admit rate for the College of L&S was 27% last year with a 4.40 Fully weighted uncapped GPA average.

Also the following is required to declare the major: To be admitted to full major status, students must fulfill the pre-biology course and grade-point average requirements as described in the General Catalog. At minimum, they must complete twelve designated courses from the Preparation for the Major with a 2.0 or higher UC grade-point average.

Edited: All freshmen requesting any of the 10 biology majors are admitted to the BA as Pre-Biology Majors. The Pre-Biology Major includes the preparatory coursework in chemistry, mathematics, physics, and introductory biology common to all the biology majors. Students declare their BS or BA degree objective and their specific biology major once this common coursework is completed, usually at the end of their sophomore year.

1 Like