UC Santa Barbara Class of 2027 Official Thread

Wow, that’s crazy! Where is he leaning based on where he has been accepted?

What UCSD college did he get accepted into?

1 Like

S23 waitlisted: Major: Physics
In State
4.53 weighted 3.95 unweighted
Tutored twice a week for 4 years/ no formal sports- SURFS
Worked all through HS during the year and Summer
Dual Enrollment: Linear Algebra and Calc 3
14 Aps
Multiple honors classes

Accepted: UCSC, UCLA, Occidental,
WL: UCSB, UCSD, Bowden, Bates, Colby,
Waiting on: Berkley,
Rejected: Pitzer

Anyone hear of CCS for physics yet?

1 Like

Hi all: My son was accepted to UCSB, college of L&S, for math. He had applied for the CCS program, but he has not heard about a decision regarding his CCS application. Have others learned whether they were accepted to CCS for math?

2 Likes

Waiting on CCS for Marine Science…

Did you get an invite to a CCS math open house in April? That Could be a sign he is accepted. I believe decision letters will come soon…

Decision: Accepted!
Merit scholarships awarded (if any): none
Major (and division if applicable) applied to: Pre-Biology

ACADEMIC STATS:
UC Unweighted GPA: 4.0
UC Capped Weighted GPA: 4.18
UC Fully Weighted GPA: 4.31
ELC (top 9% CA HS): Yes

Comments about course load (including senior year):
Number of a-g courses: 45?
Number of UC Approved Honors courses: 18?
Number of AP courses/exams (scores in parentheses): AP Bio (5), AP Lang (5); AP Lit, AP Gov, AP Calc AB, and AP Environmental Science in progress
Number of IB courses/exams (score in parentheses): N/A
5 community college courses including 3 STEM courses

Awards: National Merit Commended Student, National Rural/Small Town Scholar, school’s science department student of the month, local art contest winner

SUBJECTIVE:
Extracurriculars:
-STEM: Science Bowl, 3 years, president for 2, competed in regionals once; summer shadowing at local hospital; work experience in telephone recruitment at local blood bank
-Music: School orchestra, cello, 4 years, leadership for 3; countywide concert band, 1 year
-GSA, 4 years, leadership for all 4; panelist in county LGBTQ equity event
-Visual art, 6+ years, practiced and took commissions
Personal Insight essays: pretty good? 7-8/10
-Creativity, skill/talent, academic subject, educational opportunity

DEMOGRAPHICS:
State/location of HS (if domestic applicant): In-state, NorCal, ~1300 students
Applied for need-based financial aid: Yes
First Generation: No

Also accepted: UCSC, Cal Poly SLO, Cal Poly Humboldt, Sonoma State, UC Davis
Waitlisted: UCLA, UCSD

1 Like

My friend’s son also applied to the same major/program and hasn’t heard yet. They knew he would be accepted due to being notified of an event for that program or dept. Anyway the acceptance was not a surprise but they are waiting for the next step.

1 Like

Thanks Ramon2: Yes, he did get a letter from the CCS math department inviting him to come to the CCS math open house, but he did not fill out the form because he’s already pretty sure he’d attend UCSB if admitted to CCS. Hope that doesn’t work against him.

Hi E_C1: thanks for your email. Are you referring to the invite to the CCS Open House in April? I was not aware that was an indication that he had been accepted to CCS.

1 Like

He is still buzzing with excitement about getting his first UC acceptance. He absolutely loved UCSB when we toured last summer. He has to figure out if he is OK about mechanical rather than aero, but I understand mech and aero are very similar in undergrad. He also really likes UW - but every engr is “undeclared”, and CU Boulder has an excellent aero program. He has visited all three - liked them all. We shall see!

(And UCSB is about half the cost of the other two and driving distance - so that is my fav, but trying to keep my mouth shut :zipper_mouth_face:!)

4 Likes

Ok, that is the indicator he is in (professor had earlier emailed my applicant stating that accepted students are invited to the open house). Your son should get the letter soon, after which I believe students need to request the change from L&S to CCS - this is what my son was told when he enquired earlier w/ the CCS prof.

2 Likes

I’m not sure about the CSS. My friend is not sure either which is why they are irritated with the school. But at least they knew he would be accepted by the school. CSS looks like a fantastic opportunity and I can see why my friend is not as excited as one would be.

So if invited for the event it means the kid is in CSS? If that’s the case I would like to let her know. It looks like it would be perfect for him as it’s a UC but in a much smaller environment.

Hmmm. My daughter’s admission letter listed her second choice major, so maybe that’s not good news for CCS? We’ll see. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Thanks so much for the information, Ramon2. And yes, E_C1: we feel the same. I’ve asked my son to email the head of the CCS math department to ask, but he just wants to wait for a letter from CCS. He is far more patient than I am.

1 Like

My daughter’s admission letter didn’t list her first-choice CCS major but rather her second choice non-CCS major. So maybe what’s identified in the letter is the result? Hope not, but ….

2 Likes

I almost always think a broader engineering major like MechE is better than a specialized major like Aero. Every Aero firm takes a lot of MEs and he could always take aero classes of interest. Congrats on UCSB! It’s a wonderful school.

That’s not really the flip side. That’s to be expected.

1 Like