UC Santa Barbara Class of 2027 Official Thread

I will say, though, as a resident of Wisconsin that I know of many, MANY high stats Wisconsin kids who were rejected by our flagship public university, and my son might be joining those ranks in the next few weeks (UW-Madison received 60,000 applicants and will be accepting 8,000. I have a growing sense my kiddo will be among the 52,000 not getting in). There’s just too many high-qualified kids and not enough spots in the flagship public schools.

2 Likes

If it helps, Wisconsin’s freshman class looks to be about 8K, so they will accept far more than that number due to yield. One source shows the yield rate at around 25%, so in theory UW-Madison may accept 32K of those 60K applicants.

However, I agree that there are a lot of highly qualified students who do not get into their state flagships.

True but just 3 years ago their acceptance rate was greater than 50%.

Great point! That actually does help - I’d been internalizing the 8K number, forgetting the acceptance number will be higher.

2 Likes

I’ve been registering for classes recently, and I just wanted to share something of note to those who might want to switch into CS at UCSB:

Here is our CS 16 class. CS 8 (which can be satisfied with AP Computer Science) and CS 16 are the two main CS classes required to switch into Computer Science major in the College of Engineering.

A LOT of people here who are non CS want to switch into CS. As you can see, pass 3 hasn’t even ended yet and there are over 140+ people who are on the waitlist.

The class itself is only 120 people.

The University does warn potential applicants that it would be extremely difficult to switch into CS. It’s technically possible but UCSB deliberately limits the capacity of CS 16 to limit the number of people who are even eligible for petition for switching to CS. CS, EE and CE majors are given heavy priority during registration. As a CE major, I found it quite easy to register for this class but for a lot of L&S people it was pretty difficult.

If you want to switch to CS, I advise you to apply for EE. Since the biggest challenge here in switching to CS is getting the required classes, EE’s priority on CS 8/16 is really important.

Plus, EE is really easy to get into relative to the rest of the school. It has a 29% acceptance rate, compared to 25% for the school at large and 22% for the College of Engineering

EE Program Statistics (Fall 2022)

• 1725 applicants | 499 admitted | 79 enrolled
  • Average incoming GPA: 4.35
  • Lower Division avg. class size: 140 students
  • Upper Division avg. class size: 70 students
7 Likes

UCSB Computer Engineering admission statistics for Fall 2022 (the year I was admitted):

CE Program Statistics (Fall 2022)

• 2235 applicants | 428 admitted | 81 enrolled
  • Average incoming GPA: 4.45
  • Lower Division average classroom size: 140 students
  • Upper Division average classroom size: 70 students

Usually there are 50-60 people per year but my year admissions apparently misjudged the yield and the entering class was 50% higher than normal.

2 Likes

Do you know the program statistics for Chemical Engineering?

1 Like

Thank you for continuing to come back to share useful information.

1 Like

The information posted by @gauchoengineering can be found on the Undergraduate page on the UCSB for each major listed EE and CE. Unfortunately the Chemical Engineering website does not give the same detail.
https://chemengr.ucsb.edu/undergraduate/admissions

I guess switching from Data Science to CS is not easy either

Can you provide a link to where these stats are for the different engineering majors? I’m sorry if it is obvious, I just searched and couldn’t find it!

1 Like

For EE and CE, look at the bottom right hand side of the page: Undergraduate Studies | Electrical and Computer Engineering | UC Santa Barbara

Is this available for CS? I don’t see it on that page. (I thought it would be one big chart for us to see all majors, didn’t know it was broken up in different places) Thanks!

The information is not available for every major.

Parents got an email from UCSB about decision date. Any of you parents got it??

8 Likes

Yes

Yes

1 Like

Yes

Hi There, I see you have listed GPAs, but I get confused between high school GPAs and the GPAs that UCs configure. For example, my child has a 4.52 GPA at his high school, but the UCs configure it as 4.21. Can you clarify?
Thanks!

The UC’s calculate 3 UC GPA’s for their application review which includes grades only from the a-g courses taken the summer after 9th grade to the summer prior to 12th grade.

UC unweighted with a maximum of 4.0

UC Capped weighted with a maximum of 4.4 where 8 semesters of UC approved Honors, AP, IB or DE/CC courses are given an extra point in the GPA calculation that are taken 10-11th grades.

UC Uncapped weighted with a maximum of 5.0 were unlimited semesters of extra honors points are granted to UC approved Honors, AP, IB and DE/CC classes taken 10-11th grades.

Most HS do not calculate the UC GPA’s and may give extra weighting to non approved UC Honors courses.

I like to use the Rogerhub calculator which will calculate all 3 UC’s: GPA Calculator for the University of California – RogerHub

The most cited GPA on the UC websites is the Capped weighted UC GPA but all 3 GPA’s are considered in the application review.

3 Likes