UC Santa Barbara Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

D22 waitlisted
OOS
Pre Earth Science
3.98UW 4.24UCgpa

Accepted: UCDavis, Cal Poly Slo, LMU, UW, Gonzaga, Michigan State, ASU, Northeastern

WL- UCSD, UCSB

Rejected- UCLA

1 Like

DId any other locals on here get rejected?

D Rejected (undeclared): local - 3.87 UW, 4.3 W, 7 AP’s. ASB, Swim Team, Mock Trial, Youth & Gov., hundreds of volunteer hours. Hired an essay & prompt tutor (regretting that now :frowning: ).

Rejected: UCSC, UC Davis.
Waitlisted: UCSD, Cal Poly, Pepperdine, U of Miami.
Accepted: SDSU, SMU, U of Oregon, ASU.
Still waiting on UCB but today’s rejection does not bode well…

I know this is a crazy year, but the UCSB rejection really surprised. In past years we’ve known many locals that have gotten into UCSB with much less GPA’s.

CONGRATS to all who were acecepted! D’s father, brother and myself all went there. It is a WONDERFUL school, both academically and socially!!

4 Likes

From what I’ve seen in all the postings here and for other CA public schools - it’s a complete crapshoot once you’re above a certain level. For a given set of stats, it appears completely random - some gets into Cal Poly and not UCSB, and someone else with same record gets the opposite. It’s throwing spaghetti at the wall, I swear.

Son:
Admitted
GPA: 3.98 UW/4.28W
Rejected from CCS Writing, but accepted to CLS undeclared
Accepted: UCSC, UofAz, Oregon State, Oberlin, CSUN, SDSU, CSUSM, Beloit
Waitlisted: SLO, UCI
Rejected: UCLA, Pomona College

8 Likes

Just an FYI: UC’s do not consider Local vs Non-local like the Cal states.

6 Likes

waitlisted, in state
UW 4.0 UC GPA 4.36 UC ELC
Communications
Accepted: UCSD, SDSU, Cal Poly, Pepperdine, UCSC, Wisconsin, Oregon
Denied: UCLA

1 Like

DS Accepted, Instate, Engg - 3.94 UW, 4.39 UC capped GPA, 4.5 UC fully capped

Accepted in CA at : UCLA, UCI, UCD, UCSC, UCR, Cal Poly SLO, SJSU
Waitlisted at :UCSD

9 Likes

Rejected OOS for CS
Perfect IB score 45/45, 1550 SAT
Strong ECs and LOR
National sport, non NCAA

Accepted to UCLA, Georgia Tech, Purdue (Honors), UCSD, UCI, UCD
Rejected by Stanford and UCSB

Congratulations to all who made it!

1 Like

That’s awesome, I am so happy for you and for him!

1 Like

waitlisted

UC Weighted GPA: 4.4 (unweighted: 3.966)
Applied Biochem

Accepted to: UCLA, UCSD, UCI
Waiting on UCB

1 Like

I have a 2020 child. Many many students did not want to pay for online education and opted for community college. No one was flying and more students were passing on OOS acceptances. Also, international students were having a difficult time due to federal restrictions requiring in person instruction.

2020 grads are now applying to transfer and it looks like, although the number of freshmen applications increased, transfer applications decreased. It will be interesting to see what happened to those kids who opted not start college right away but who also did not apply to transfer.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update.

They may not call it “local” but it is (or at least was in the past) a consideration. We hear of many kids getting into UCSB every with lower GPA’s than their yearly average. If you go to their admission criteria page, # 13 on the consideration list is, location of your secondary school or residence. Two + decades ago when I worked in Office of Admissions at UCSB, extra “points” were applied to the formula for nearby students, but this was before they were as highly competive as they are now and would not be surprised if that is an out-of-date practice.

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/applying-as-a-freshman/how-applications-are-reviewed.html

Geographic location for the UC’s is more about identifying Low performing HS’s vs. High performing HS’s and SES status since this helps them evaluate the students within the context of what is offered at their HS’s and the resources available to them.

9 Likes

accepted!!!
4.16 UC GPA
Biology major
In state
I’m so happy because I got waitlisted to Davis, Santa Cruz, and San Diego. Also rejected from Irvine and UCLA
I was about to go to Merced or riverside.

25 Likes

Daughter Rejected
Pre Biology

UC GPA 4.1 wGPA 4.39 uW 3.85
10 APs
Several leadership positions and community services
Biology Research at institute
Science Olympiad socal championship
Top 5% and National scholar of distinction

Rejected: UCS UCLA UCSB JHU
WAITLISTED UCSC UCI UCSD
Accepted SLO SDSU

Waiting on UMICH NYU NU UCB

All the best everyone but it looks like she will not go to UC

1 Like

I second this, thank you for all of your knowledge and willingness to share.

I’m sorry – but there are several good options there!

How do you know about the Stanford rejection? They aren’t out yet.

Stanford has Restricted Early Action and Regular.

What is pre-econ exactly?

Applied REA, got that back in December

Accepted Undeclared (applied for CS and CE)
UW 3.95/ W 4.59
Accepted undeclared: UCSD, UCSB.
Accepted CS major: UCD, UCI
WL: UCLA

@Gumbymom , do you see undeclared acceptance on the rise compared to the past years? is it usually for CS? Having a hard time understanding this, given how hard it is transferring to CS (at UCSD for example), feels like WL might have a higher chance getting a CS major if getting off waitlist?

3 Likes