UC Santa Barbara Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

Son accepted!!!
Political Science
3.95/4.4
9 AP’s
numerous EC’s including mock trial, varsity sports, summer programs, and clubs.
Waitlisted to Ucsd and denied to UCLA.

8 Likes

If you apply to the College of Engineering at UCSB, you need to select an alternate major in the College of L&S or they will place you in Undeclared. I have seen an increase in the Undeclared but goes with an increase in the # of applicants applying to these competitive majors: CS/Engineering.

If you are waitlisted, there is no guarantee that you will be accepted into your 1st choice major and at schools like UCSD and UCSB, it is more likely to be your alternate major if you listed one or Undeclared.

Each school has different criteria to change majors, but when it comes to Engineering/CS there are no guarantees.

I will not go into specifics for UCSD, but according to a current CE student there, they are changing the criteria for change of major and it will almost impossible to switch into CSE.

For UCSB:
Current UCSB students in a non-engineering major, as well as students wishing to change from one engineering major to another, are welcome to apply after the satisfactory completion of a pre-defined set of coursework (see below). However, due to the current demand for engineering majors, students are cautioned that it is a very competitive process and not all applicants will be able to change their majors due to limited space availability.

Computer Science. Students may petition to enter the Computer Science major when the following requirements are met:

1. An overall UCSB grade point average of at least 3.0;
  2. Satisfactory completion of Computer Science 16, 24, and 40 with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher; First takes only
  3. Satisfactory completion of Math 3A, 3B, 4A, and 4B with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher; First takes only

The selection process is highly competitive and these milestones are minimum requirements for consideration, achieving them does not guarantee admission to the Computer Science major. Any petitions denied will be automatically considered a second time in the next quarter. Petitions denied a second time will not be reconsidered. More information can be found at cs.ucsb.edu/education/undergrad/admissions.

I just sent you a DM

1 Like

Accepted OOS
Pre-Biopsychology
3.87 UW, 4.71 W, Top 1% of class
18 APs, 17 Dual Enrollment
STEM focused ECs
Lots of leadership and community service (800+ hrs)

Accepted: UCLA, UCSD
Waiting on UCB!

4 Likes

Congrats to all. Did anybody get invitation to the Honors program ?

2 Likes

Daughter waitlisted for pre-biology at UCSB. She is the valedictorian of her class of 588 students. Admitted to UCLA with an invite to apply for the Regents Scholarship.

7 Likes

accepted in-state

pre-bio
gpa: 3.91 uw / 4.62 uncapped weighted

accepted: ucr, ucd, uci
waitlist: ucla, ucsd
rejects: none

honestly hoping for berkeley at this point, good luck everyone!

5 Likes

Pretty sure the rejection letters are all the same. And since we also received one I can confirm that they were not written in a negative way at all.

4 Likes

Waitlisted and devastated

UW 3.97
Biology
Accepted : UCR, Cal Poly Slo, Pomona, USF, SJSU
WL : UCSC, UCSB, UCI, UCD, U Chicago
Waiting : UCB, USC, NYU, Columbia, Cornell, Harvard & Brown

1 Like

This article might give a little insight into how they evaluate students based on their high school.

UC admissions directors stressed that they evaluated students in the context of their own schools and communities to assess how much they challenged themselves and took advantage of available opportunities. A student who took all six AP classes offered at her school might be more impressive than the one who took six at a school that offered twice as many.

A campus might admit a student with a 4.0 GPA who ranked at the top of an underserved school over one with a higher GPA but lower class rank at a more high-achieving school.

“The thing I take the most pride in with the UC is that it’s all about achievement within context,” said Michelle Whittingham, UC Santa Cruz associate vice chancellor of enrollment management. “We get these calls: ‘My kid got this GPA.’ But at that particular school, it could be average or below average.”

7 Likes

Thank you, @Gumbymom, I really appreciate your insights.
For someone who really wants CS major, the undeclared acceptance has been as hard as rejected. Fingers crossed for UCB!!!

1 Like

accepted!
political science major
in-state
3.96 UW / 4.4 W GPA

also accepted at UCLA, waiting on UC Berkeley

7 Likes

Daughter was rejected and heartbroken as UCSB was 1st choice
in-state business major
3.96 UW / 4.1 W GPA

Accepted to UCSC, UCR, Pomona, LMU. Waitlisted to UCSD, UCI. Rejected UCLA, Pepperdine.

Question - she’s going to try again as a transfer student in a year or two, would it be better to transfer from community college instead of UCSC?

2 Likes

DS accepted Environmental Studies (alternate major) applied Engineering

4.0/4.8
15+AP/IB classes with A grades
Theatre Arts/Drama at HS & EC
Sports ECs - Soccer & Tennis
Very good Volunteer Hours with Lionsheart, AYSO & Church
NHS

Rejected: UCLA
Accepted: UCDavis, CalPoly SLO, USD, UofA Honors, SMU Honors, TCU, CU Boulder, Santa Clara - all Engineering
Waiting: UCBerkeley, USC, Vanderbilt

6 Likes

From what I know, the transfer from CC to UC is smoother than UC to UC (I work at a UC).

https://uctap.universityofcalifornia.edu/

You could consider SBCC, I’ve had a few students who went there and they said they felt like a part of the UCSB/IV community. We considered SBCC for our D20 vs. our local CC and I’ve heard great things about SBCC.

1 Like

Look into the community college TAG program as it relates to her major and UCSB. If she is 100% sure she wants to transfer, TAG is the way to go since if you meet the requirements, it’s guaranteed.

3 Likes

On UCSB’s website, it says that they take community college transfers before other transfers.

2 Likes

Accepted
Comparative Literature, Foreign Languages concentration
in-state, norcal
3.92 UW/ 4.18 UC GPA/ 4.3 W
Club Officer for CSF and NHS, 3 years
Yearbook staff writer, Key Club
4 year Varsity Volleyball team, 5 years Competitive Volleyball
9 years of Rec Swim Team
Visual and Performing Art Academy- 4 years high school
Job Experience: 2 years Lifeguard/Swim Instructor
Food Bank volunteer, Summer Teen Camp counselor

Also Accepted: UCI, UCD, UCSC, CSULB, SDSU, Syracuse, Chapman (scholarship),
U of A (scholarship)
Waitlisted: Cal Poly SLO
Rejected: UCLA

Waiting: UCB, Northwestern, USC, NYU, Columbia, Stanford

4 Likes

Sorry, are you saying regular decisions for Stanford have come out??

I think you had asked how @Maybetomorrow1 knew that they hadn’t gotten in to Stanford, and @siennared was noting that Stanford has both Regular Decision (which, you’re correct: RD is not out yet) and Restrictive Early Action (Stanford REA applicants found out in December about their results). So the OP you were asking got their Stanford decision back in December.

2 Likes