UC Santa Barbara Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

Hope she finds the best fit for her. Those are great options!

1 Like

When my daughter was going through the CS process in 2018 the academic departments were very helpful with any questions. They can give you honest answers about the reality of switching into CS. I will say the CS kids at Davis were so nice - they happened to be running the Visitors Center went we went for a tour and were the reason she applied (did not get in). I would also add that kids that get into CS will be working hours and hours and hours more than friends. And the quarter system does not allow you to get behind - and it can be hard in an environment with a lot of social activity. And lastly my husband works for an upper tier Tech company - and during Covid I have had the opportunity to listen in on a lot of interviews and the process! He could care less where you went to school - it is all about being a good fit for his team and can you do the work, what are you working on your own/self motivated. Looks like you have some great options!! Congrats

3 Likes

Both are great schools. UCSD was my daughter’s first choice, but was waitlisted there. She was accepted to UCSB and Calpoly SLO. She will probably lean towards SLO if we don’t get any miracles in the next 2 days (UCB & Rice on 3/24 and USC & GT on 3/25).

1 Like

Ya it doesn’t mean anything it’s just cause we signed up for updates

S22 Accepted for Art
In State
UW: 4.0 UC: 4.33
Accepted: UCD, UCSD, SDSU, Humboldt, Sonoma, UVermont, Ithaca, Puget Sound (all with good merit scholarships),ColState, NAU, Western Washington, Oregon State (all WUE with honors and good scholarships), U of O
Waitlist: UCSC, UCSD
Pending: Cal POLY SLO(with a portfolio review, so still potentially hopeful)

4 Likes

My daughter is consist with this analysis. Waitlisted UCI & UCSD Denied UCSB

Maybe it’s the essays ~

Rejected Undeclared Letters and Science
UW 3.95
UC/W 4.35
Accepted: Cal Poly SLO, SDSU early, UCD, Santa Clara, USD
Waitlisted: UCSC, UCLA, UCSD
Pending: Berkeley & Madison

2 Likes

Can you appeal to the UCs your waitlisted or do you appeal only when you are rejected?

My daughter was accepted Biology in state
UW 4
W 4.6 not sure about UC GPA
Accepted : UCR, UCD, UCSD Regent, UCLA Regent invite UCSB, Tulane Honors, Northeastern Honors, U of Mich, UVA Echols sholar, U of Wisconsin
Waitlisted: U of Washington
Rejected: UNC(which was her number 1

3 Likes

You cannot appeal while on the waitlist or to be put on the waitlist. You can appeal denials only.

D rejected Envir Science Instate
UW 3.98
UC Capped 4.23
ELC
Lots of ECs, Leadership, Work (not in major)

Accepted: UCR, SDSU (Honors invite), SLO (Honors Invite), CSULB (Honors Invite), Chico, SFSU, Humboldt
Waitlisted: UCSC, UCSD
Rejected: Davis, UCLA(did receive alumni scholarship invite for reference), UCSB

Will most likely attend Cal Poly -I can feel the stress drain away just thinking of it - magical place the central coast!!

Congrats to all - and may everyone find a place where they are happy, healthy and academically challenged .

9 Likes

Got it, thanks!

My kid is similar to yours in that accepted to UCSM and CalPoly SLO. Can I ask why your kid is leaning toward CalPoly SLO. We need to do the deep dive between the 2 schools. He’s an engineering major. Thank you for any insight.

meant to type in UCSB not UCSM

I am really glad to hear that. I’ve heard from friends that the vast majority of rejection letters are very kind, pointing out they have many times more applicants than seats and wishing the student well.

1 Like

Sorry, waitlisted at UCSD, not accepted. So accepted to UCD and UCSB, waitlisted at UCSC and UCSD.

My D22 is interested in Biomedical Engineering and USCB doesn’t have a focused major in this. Hence, she decided to apply for Chemical & Mechanical at UCSB and got admitted into Chemical Eng. CalPoly SLO has a focussed Biomedical Eng. major and we like their learn by doing philosophy. Unfortunately, she has a school trip that conflicts with SLO OpenHouse. So, i will have to do my best in capturing the details for her to make the decision.

She does have other OOS acceptances (Purdue, UIUC, Pitt, Washington, etc.) and awaiting results at UCB & USC (both are probably going to reject her). UC decisions (other than UCSB & UCR) have been brutal.

Son was accepted as Undeclared in College of Letters and Science rather than Engineering.
*In state
*4.0 UW/4.5 W
*8 APs, multiple Honors classes(?)

• ECs: Vex Robotics, Solar Boat, Cross Country

Accepted at: UCSC, UCD, UCI, UCSD, Cal Poly Pomona

Rejected: UCLA, Cal Poly SLO (most likely, no change in status yet)

2 Likes

Daughter accepted to UCSB for pre-Psychology and Brain Sciences. OOS 3.9 UW GPA.

As for other UCs:

Accepted: UCI and UC Davis
Waitlisted: UCSD
Denied: UCLA

Congrats to all admitted and great things ahead for everyone!

3 Likes

Daughter was rejected - OOS art major.

1450 SAT
4.35 W GPA
Some EC’s, XC/track 4 years.

Accepted: UMich, Northeastern, Rutgers, Delaware, Wisconsin, Maryland
Waitlisted: UCSD, UCI
Rejected: UCLA and UCSB
Waiting: NYU, BU, UCB, GW

Was a bit surprised with outright rejection. Her brother is also a sophomore at UCSB Engineering.

3 Likes