UC Santa Barbara Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

Your son sounds like an amazing kid. This process seems so unfair. Does he have any solid options that he’s excited about?

2 Likes

D20 and D22 attended the UCSB application and PIQ webinars. D22 also attended a few UCSC webinars, as the school is her top choice. Since I didn’t sit on the webinars, I don’t really know what the UC’s are looking for, and I think thats the point - they just want to learn about the applicant as a unique individual.

2 Likes

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/news-events/conferences/deconstructing-the-uc-piqs--a-counselors-guide-to-amplyifying-your-students-voices_final.pdf

3 Likes

My son graduated 2 years ago from SJSU in Biomedical Engineering. I recall during application to UCSB that undergrad BME was not an option. I would just offer this information. In a more general BME program, he elected to focus more on mechanical BME, including development of prosthetics. Others prefer to focus more on pharmaceuticals, and therefore chemistry. The SLO program may offer coursework in both as part of their overall program, whereas if the mechanical side of biomedical engineering became more interesting, your student could perhaps request to transfer from chemical to mechanical engineering at some point (at most schools transferring within the engineering department is much easier than trying to transfer into engineering from anothwr department. Good luck!

I just want to say what a wonderful school Purdue is. My younger boy will be applying their for engineering next year.

1 Like

No.

Currently, his only acceptance is Cal Poly Humboldt for Environmental Science - which is apparently a great program for them and the area looks beautiful. However, he’s not excited about the school due to it being a ‘new’ Cal Poly and due to their having an 85% acceptance rate. It definitely doesn’t feel like a win to him. They aren’t even offering any sort of awards/aid - just a standard $5000 government loan.

I assume since he’s in the 9% he’ll get an offer to Merced? But, this year is so weird, I wouldn’t be surprised if that didn’t happen. :frowning: (someone tell me I’m wrong)

Then, there is community college for a year or two. I think this is a totally fine path (it’s how I started college) – we just never really considered that this would be the outcome given his successes.

4 Likes

I totally get it. Sometimes I think it’s harder on us. Hang in there :two_hearts::two_hearts:

1 Like

I agree 100%. A kid with your son’s stats and clear talents should absolutely have more success in this process. What they’re looking for seems like such a mystery.

My kid was talking about a gap year for similar reasons. I just can’t imagine admissions are going to get any easier next year.

I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed that this week brings him something to be excited about. :two_hearts::two_hearts:

2 Likes

Thank you! We remain hopeful and are trying to stay positive and optimistic.

4 Likes

University of San Diego. We are from Pennsylvania

Great school. Best of luck!

My first daughter got into UCSB in 2019. My second daughter was accepted yesterday. When D19 got in, we went to admissions meeting while touring. The AO said the PIQ were the MOST important part of the application. Those are actually read first and they determine if you’re the right “fit” for their school. Then, the grades etc are reviewed. That’s why students with higher stats are sometimes not admitted. Their PIQs didn’t fit the school’s student body. It’s so important that the PIQ are the best, most accurate reflection of the student. If they are, then as a parent/student, you can have peace in knowing that school was not the right fit for your child. UCSB was not my D19s first choice. UCLA was. She was rejected. We are so grateful for that bc she Loves UCSB and can’t believe that it wasn’t her first choice to begin with. So, I now have peace in trusting the process. Good luck to everyone and lots of prayers for all the parents and children going through this process.

17 Likes

It’s hard to hear that they didn’t like their essays, but then again I’m glad to hear that it’s about fit. Thanks for sharing that!

My kid was accepted undeclared in letters and science. How do they get to a CS major?

Prior to going test blind, UCSB used to have a chart on their admissions website showing that they gave 50% weight to grades and test scores and 50% to essays and extracurricular activities.

Personally, I think students focus on the PIQ and are surprised or burnt out when they get to the Activities & Awards section. Since the UCs give space to list 20 activities, awards, work experiences, volunteer, community service, etc. I am curious how many extracurriculars students choose to list and how much effort is put into accurately reflecting what they did outside of school.

4 Likes

Going from Undeclared to CS will be a tough and not guaranteed.

Change of Major into and within the College of Engineering

Current UCSB students in a non-engineering major, as well as students wishing to change from one engineering major to another, are welcome to apply after the satisfactory completion of a pre-defined set of coursework. However, due to the current demand for engineering majors, students are cautioned that it is a very competitive process and not all applicants will be able to change their majors due to limited space availability.

COMPUTER SCIENCE

The application process is extremely competitive. A limited number of change of major applications to Computer Science will be approved. Students may apply for consideration to the Computer Science major when the following requirements are met; no exceptions are made for these requirements and meeting these requirements does not guarntee admission to the Computer Science major:

1. A cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0;
  2. Satisfactory completion of Computer Science 16, 24, and 40 with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher (first takes only);
  3. Satisfactory completion of Math 3A, 3B, 4A, and 4B with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher (first takes only)
  4. Consult the CS “Prospective Student” page for additional stipulations and information.

Denied change of major applications will not be reconsidered.

1 Like

I had never heard that and i find that disappointing. I would hope piq would be a portion but not the MOST. Seems inequitable to me based on the fact those with money can (and do at least in our area) spend thousands on consultants for their essays. Those that can’t afford and are potentially more stem/less writing savvy I see put as a major disadvantage in showing UCSB as being a good fit.

5 Likes

I think in the case of UC applications both the PIQs and the 20 Activity and Award sections are important because you can write something about yourself in all of those line items, giving them a better sense of what makes you tick.

I think one of the most significant differences between applying to UCs and private colleges is that no teacher recommendations are submitted for UCs. Applicants to the UCs don’t have the chance for someone else to rave about them and place them in context with other students from the same school.

11 Likes

Frankly, I think PIQ’s favor those with “less than” opportunities and AOs know when consultants are doing the writing. I know our local student body and families have no idea people would spend any money on professional consultants, and many in my D22’s cohort have been admitted to very prestigious schools . I know all the students who applied (and were admitted) to UC’s did not have any professional help and limited counseling at our HS due to the fact the focus is mainly in vocational trades (which are also very important).

2 Likes

No preferences yet, but it will be Davis or UCSC. We live in the SFV. You?

1 Like