UC Santa Barbara Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

For anyone interested in more recent career outcomes data, there is some info in the senior survey from the 2020 graduating class. Engineering #s look really good but the sample sizes are probably a little too small.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xj030_B4vjrjhwE70j2YmpMomZBCoso4/view

3 Likes

does anyone know the best way to seek out a roommate after being accepted off the waitlist? I’m just worried its going to be difficult because most people would have found theirs already. Also do people that were waitlisted typically get worse housing because they end up filling out housing applications much later?

1 Like

Spring break in UCSB! Party on!!

Deltopia is a major event with thousands of partiers. It is always sad to hear of things like this. Here is a local news source with updates.

FYI

All UC campuses saw an increase in Freshman applicants.

It’s only up by 3.5% from last year, which doesn’t seem like a lot, but when you compare to 2020 it’s up 22.5%!!

1 Like

UCI was 17% this year. Seems the acceptance rate drops transcend multiple UC campuses

Thanks for sharing. I wonder if each UC has this survey available.

“We were conservative with our initial offers to ensure we don’t over-enroll,” admissions staff told Noozhawk in an email. “We will rely on our waitlist to fill any remaining space we might have after May 1.”

Looks like our original suspicions were correct… admissions was being conservative with waitlists this year.

I would guess that this also applies to the other UCs as well

2 Likes

The roommate selection preferences usually don’t go out until sometime in June, and typically most waitlist admits will get off by then so theoretically they can still make their roommate requests. Last year, most if not all waitlisted students were offered Tropicana Gardens instead of university housing, which some parents got annoyed about even though it is closer to campus than one of the big freshman dorms, Santa Catalina.

We just came back from the admitted tour. Here’s what we got from the tour and insight:

1. 23% acceptance rate for fall 2022
  2. Research /internship positions available but may not be exactly what you want
  3. Friendly and happy students
  4. Chill and collaborative environment
  5. 90% of classes taught by professors
  6. 2 floors of the library has 24/7 access
  7. Lots of bicyclists and they have the right of way

Overall, it was a great tour! Tour guide was friendly and knowledgeable. Awesome beach access.

12 Likes

My son has received his UCSB blue envelope with #NextStopUCSB printout & stickers but he has yet to received his printed Letter of Admission from UCSB. Did anybody get the letter inside the blue envelope?

Has UCSB sent out request to apply to Honors program to Engineering students ?

My son received the same stuff too. Which major for your son?

Electrical Engineering. How about yours? Only stickers and #Next Stop UCSB printout but no Printed Letter of Admission.

The Daily Nexus (UCSB newspaper) ran an article about Deltopia and the fact that national coverage was exagerated.

During Deltopia weekend, national news outlets like TMZ covered this year’s street festival, reporting that, “UC Santa Barbara was out of control Saturday, after a rager left a bunch of people injured and hospitalized.”

While the TMZ article noted that “authorities anticipated problems and imposed various restrictions, including noise limits,” it did not acknowledge that there was only one violation of the noise ordinance and that the 2022 Deltopia yielded far fewer arrests and citations in comparison to previous years, something Brandt deemed unfortunate.

“I think that, unfortunately, Isla Vista is really no stranger to giant media corporations trying to turn Deltopia into something that it’s not really. What they are doing amounts to misinformation, and that’s really harmful,” Brandt said. “The vast majority of Isla Vista residents enjoyed this weekend safely and complied with a special festival ordinance without exception.”

Bertrand also said that national media coverage blew the events of Deltopia weekend out of proportion.

1 Like

Found the UCSB campus profile, newly updated for 2021! It includes GPA numbers broken down by college!

Looks like the average gpa of enrolled engineering students was a 4.39 weighted UC GPA this year… considering that yield is lower the higher your gpa is, the admitted gpa figure is almost certainly above this.

@gumbymom hopefully this proves useful for next years applicants. UCSB is quickly becoming a reach for just about everyone.

6 Likes

My son was admitted to UCSB last year (class of 2021 in HS), and it’s the only school he was admitted to that didn’t ever send a printed letter. I was making him a little binder with all his acceptance letters, and finally I just asked him to print it out from the portal. You can find a letter there.

3 Likes

My son is mechanical engineering major. He received a small blue envelope with sticker sheet and a brochure. No admission letter

2 Likes

same as my girl. :grinning:

1 Like