UC Santa Barbara Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

my son had a wonderful experience at Davis. The professors love spending time with the students. My son has a wonderful internship due to the relationship he has with his professors. It is also a fun college town.

5 Likes

Glad to hear it! We are attending Aggie Day in a couple of weeks and hoping she falls in love with UCD - tough to be waitlisted at 5 schools but we have to move on with a “sure thing”.

1 Like

Not yet! I was pretty sure it said March 28th when we checked it previously, but now it says it will be released “this week” sometime.

1 Like

That’s unbelievable! Sorry. At least she in at UCLA. Great News. My daughter is amazed at some of her friends at the top of her class with SATs in the 1500s (know this doesn’t matter) that aren’t getting into UCs they expected to get into. My daughter will probably go to UCLA. She’s studying Biochemistry, so may be our kids will meet. We are visiting UCLA and UCSB next week.

1 Like

April 9th is his prom so he won’t make the Open House.

However, he has already decided he’s going to UCSB as his other choices are waitlisted. He has already filed his SIR and as much of the paperwork he could over the weekend.

1 Like

Folks:

Do regular scholarship awards come out together with financial aids letters or separately ? My daughter got scholarship letter from UCSC but never got anything re: financial aids
Thanks & good luck this week

from these samples it looks as though it all will be shown in the financial aid offer

Thank you.

Still no word on financial. It seems that many of the other UC’s have their aid offers out, even UCB that announced admits after UCSB.

1 Like

We keep checking portal and email for it!

I see so many posts about housing. Is it hard to get housing as a freshman? Any tips or tricks to get housing? Are there private dorms kids can stay in if they don’t get a spot at one of the school dorms?

Housing was an issue since many of the UC’s were over enrolled due to deferments and gap year students. Also due to Covid guidelines which required reduced capacity of the dorms. If you submit the housing application by the May 16th deadline, you should be fine since Freshman students are guaranteed housing.

2 Likes

Well that was disappointing (aid). I know we are OOS but kiddo get one at Irvine, so we were hopeful.

Got our aid letter… about what I expected, and I’m relieved for the amount of aid offered

1 Like

My son received his yesterday via USPS.

1 Like

We got this blue folder by mail, learnt DD is a regent scholar as well in addition to the Honors college of engineering, 5K per year and a total of 20K, good money tho.

5 Likes

Someone on Reddit texted UCSB admissions… apparently only 23% acceptance this year.

Granted, that doesn’t include waitlists… but I think it’s safe to say this year was harder than last year.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s a pretty low accept rate. With roughly 111,000 applicants this year that equates to 25,530 admits, which seems a lot lower than the past several years. I think it’s likely that they’re doing more waitlisting.

Past accept rates at UCSB: (overall / CA Res / # of total admits / # of enrolees)
2017 32.81% / 31.69% / 26,845 / 4,539
2018 32.20% / 29.58% / 29,724 / 5,094
2019 29.56% / 26.88% / 27,626 / 4,935
2020 36.70% / 35.30% / 33,384 / 4,847
2021 29.18% / 27.95% / 30,823 / 4,898

1 Like

Congratulations!

1 Like

They should get in with SATs in the 1500s. The decision to drop the SATs is the reason more qualified students aren’t getting in. The 2022 admission cycle is unfair and unreasonable - we need SATs back.

7 Likes