UC Santa Barbara Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

Many kids take that route for a variety of reasons. According to the SBCC website they supply about 1/3rd of the UCSB transfer pool. I wrote a post about the SBCC->UCSB pathway a while back. The post is at Backdoor way into UCSB

Is everyone planning to attend orientation this summer? How essential is it? Anyone sending their kid but not attending themselves? Between the cost and our crazy summer schedule we’re evaluating the options. Is there a way to register for fall classes with guidance if you don’t attend orientation? Thanks so much!

1 Like

I’m sending my daughter but not attending myself (not enough PTO). I think it’s important for students but not so much for parents. We live less than an hour from UCSB, the cost is manageable for us, and I’d like my daughter to start college with as much prep as possible. That said, if your child can’t attend, I think the school should be able to work with you and help him/her register for classes.

1 Like

I am attending with my daughter but most of her friends are attending without parents. There are online orientation dates available, so your child can still receive academic advising and schedule their classes, even if they can’t make it to an in person orientation.

I am attending with my daughter but most of her friends are attending without parents. There are online orientation dates available, so your child can still receive academic advising and schedule their classes, even if they can’t attend an in person orientation.

1 Like

I saw that, and wondered if the cost is the same for the online orientation. We are going to email the orientation office, so I’ll update here once I know the details. In an ideal world she could go, if only to meet some people and start to feel more comfortable with the campus–just tough to juggle all of the things this summer!

Did get a response from the orientation office–sharing here in case anyone else is wondering:
The online Freshman Orientation session on August 4-5 has a program fee of $249 for students and there is no charge for the parent program that we will also offer during that time. If you cannot attend any of the in-person sessions or the online session, there will be an Advising Day in mid-August for students who missed Orientation. We will go over academic advising information and then you will register for classes on your own during your assigned registration time at the end of August.

1 Like