UC Santa Cruz Class of 2027 Official Thread

Pricey, yes. So one would need a car to commute? or are there other options?

Can you send a pointer. Pricey is unfortunate, but if it’s nice accomodation so be it.

Same situation for our daughter. Accepted at UCSC, SDSU, SLO, waitlisted at UCD, UCI, UCSB, UCSD, Occidental, Pitzer.

I have been on the UCSC campus many times, and it is unique and beautiful. Daughter doesn’t like that it is spread out and “far” from the beach. We live in the Bay Area, so maybe UCSC feels too close for her?

Do attend the Slug Day so you get a feel for the campus. Your daughter may love it.

2 Likes

I think we’ve decided to go ahead and attend! Looking forward to it.

I totally get why for a Bay Area kid SC might be too close to home. My D23 got into SDSU as well, which would be a fantastic option if it weren’t her hometown :joy:

2 Likes

Can he appeal?

Waitlisted applicants cannot appeal while they are on the waitlist for that particular UC. Only denied decisions can file an appeal.

1 Like

There is a FB group called UCSC Housing, sublets, roommates although I don’t know if you can join it unless you are a student. The UCSC Housing Dept also has a “renters workshop” where they teach the kids how to be good tenants and what their rights are and how to avoid scams. I think there is also a place for local landlords to list.
From what I understand, Sophomores get “priority” so there is a good chance may be on campus. Each student, who wants to be considered, is randomly assigned a “slot” where they meet with someone from F&H (I’m assuming online) which is when they will pick their room. So, if you can get together with six friends/people you think you can tolerate you will have six chances to get an early “slot” to select since the earliest person will be tasked with that and the other five kids will cancel their “slot”. If you want a single, you only have one chance and they may all be gone by the time your slot comes up.

For Junior and Senior years I think you are on your own. Kids can become RAs if they want to live on campus. Those who have a certified disability are also guaranteed housing. I hope this helps.

1 Like

Facebook is not connected to the school so there is no way for them to know if you are an admitted student. The FB group you mentioned simply ask two questions - What are you studying and what year are you? Many people on those housing, sublet, roommates groups are scam artists. Urge your students to be cautious when sharing personal information with strangers.

1 Like

omg – what college kid can afford rent like that!??

2 Likes

Does it have the rent listed somewhere?

I know right? Lol.

1 Like

Prices are listed on the Floorplan page.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s where I saw it. I guess you could squeeze 4 kids into a 2 bedroom if that’s allowed and pay like $1,200 each, but wow.

Yeah, I guess it’s whatever you’re used to. My daughters pay $1100 (4 bedroom) and $1300 (2 bedroom) at Davis - private bedroom, ensuite bathroom, in-unit washer/dryer, independently owned student apartments but on UC Davis land so campus is within walking distance. However there is a bus stop (free to all undergrad students) if they choose. They live in an expensive part of Davis, it gets cheaper the further away you live and house sharing is even cheaper.

So to see those prices for a shared bedroom seems really expensive to us.

1 Like

I get the desire to move away, even though SDSU is a great option. The “too close” problem is also steering our daughter away from Cal Poly because her brother will be a senior when she is a freshman. Never easy dealing with teenagers (no offense to those in this discussion; we were all teens once)

Have a good time at Santa Cruz!

1 Like

Can you clarify?
My daughter is waitlisted for Santa Cruz and got denied from UCD. Does that mean she can’t appeal UCD because she is waitlisted at Santa Cruz?

She can appeal for her denial at UCD but cannot file appeal while on the waitlist at UCSC. If she wants to file an appeal at UCSC, then she would have to withdraw from the waitlist and file that appeal.

2 Likes

Does anyone know how many applications UCSC received this time?

For Freshman, 68,820 for this year. Last year, they received 65,886 applications.

1 Like