UC schools

<p>which UC campus would be the best choice for me if i want to become a math teacher. my grades and SAT’s werent that great 1880 SATI 710 math roughly the same in crit read. and writing. GPA is 3.7 weighted 3.5 unweighted. ranked 61/562. i feel pretty strong about my essays and i’ve done plenty of community service. 4 years of band, 1 year of service at a local buddhist temple, csf member, 3 years of key club, 2 years of journalism - one year being opinions editor, 2 years of debate. ap us gov’t: 3 ap wrld hist: 3 taking ap physics and ap calc AB. SATII: mathIIC 660 phyiscs 620 us hist 600. so which schools would be the best choice for me if i want to be a math teacher. ps. i did not apply to CSUs</p>

<p>UCSD would probably be a good idea. i got some friends who also want to be math teachers applying there, and my calculus teacher is a UCSD grad.</p>

<p>my statistics teacher went to UCSD and he is one of the smartest people/best teachers i know. then again, my algebra teacher back in the day went to ucsd and she was horrible. the moral of the story is, i guess, if you're going to be a math teacher don't suck at math. sorry for that</p>

<p>Hey, my calc teacher went to SD too. He was in Marshall I think</p>

<p>Any UC school will offer you a degree in mathematics that you'll be able to put towards becoming a math teacher. You really should be more worried about which school you like best and feel you will enjoy living and studying at for four years.</p>

<p>That would be assuming the OP gets into UCSD. I wouldn't chance that as a match, before putting all the eggs into a single basket, there are second tier schools worth considering. I personally think that 'SB is a good choice for being a math major, if only that the school does attract a sizeable number of reputable professors. I agree with kmass that there really isn't a "good" place to graduate with a math degree from (about as generic as a biology degree). If you're talking about economics (ie. applied math), I'd lean towards Berkeley, LA, and Irvine. If you're talking about pure math, a degree from even a CSU is worthy since you aren't going to be using an undergraduate degree to make money anyways.</p>

<p>II know the OP is interested in UC's, but if he/she wants to teach math at the k-12 level, then perhaps a CUSF would be better. They often have very strong education programs and close ties to the local schools where one can do the year of student teaching. Additionally, it was announced earlier this year that CSUF (and I don't remember if there were more CSU's scheduled) will be offering PH.D's in education now. I bet since this is a new initiative, there will be guaranteed funding for it, which is something to consider given the 360 million in budget cuts CSU took in the latest CA budget. At any rate, the OP cannot go wrong with any of the CSU's or UC's when preparing to be a math teacher. Best of luck!</p>