UCB, UCSD and UCLA are ranked the top three universities in US

<p>…By Washington Monthly. As an alternative to USNWR, [Washington</a> Monthly](<a href=“http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/college_guide/rankings/national_university_rank.php]Washington”>http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/college_guide/rankings/national_university_rank.php) uses Social mobility, Research and Academic performance and Service as criteria in ranking universities.</p>

<p>Of course, the budget deficits in California means that the UCs will have to sustain this performance heroically with less resources than before. However, let’s hold off on the obituaries…</p>

<p>As for all those doubting whether UCSD is a flagship universities might want to eat some humble pie…</p>

<p>That list also puts UCR ahead of UCSB and UCI…</p>

<p>No offense to UCR. But it’s odd.</p>

<p>The put Riverside higher than SB, which is also higher than Princeton
Something is wrong here
this list is BS</p>

<p>jonypizzle: this ranking is all about social mobility. If you look at UCR (stereotype is low income and minority) and UCSB (stereotype is rich and white), the rankings make complete sense.</p>

<p>The social mobility and service changes everything around a lot, yeah. If you sort the rankings by research, it matches what most people have in mind better.</p>

<p>*If you look at UCR (stereotype is low income and minority) and UCSB (stereotype is rich and white), the rankings make complete sense. *</p>

<p>The funny thing is that these stereotypes aren’t true. According to my StatFinder research, the schools with the least amount of low income students are UCB, UCSC, and UCLA. If you look at the least number of students with family incomes less than $79,000, UCSB actually comes in 5th among the UCs. The Fall 2009 class also had the 2nd highest proportion of Native Americans, 3rd highest among Hispanics, and 4th among Blacks in the UC system.</p>

<p>Davis is over Harvard! WOOT.</p>

<p>

By definition, UCSD has never been and likely never will be a flagship university.</p>

<p>The UC system has one flagship, UC Berkeley. Even during a period in which the academics and sports at UCLA are better than UC Berkeley, Cal is still Cal.</p>

<p>So no, UCSD is not a “flagship”. Doesn’t mean it isn’t an excellent university.</p>

<p>How is the expected graduation rate at Harvard 101% and Cal Tech 104%?</p>

<p>more people transfer in than fail + transfer out probably.</p>

<p>oh, and how bout them bruins football?</p>

<p>IBclass06: If you choose to define flagship as one in a system, you are welcome to your definition.</p>

<p>That’s not his definition; that’s the accepted definition:</p>

<p>The chief one of a related group: the flagship of a newspaper chain; the flagship of a line of reference books.</p>

<p>What’s your defintion, anyway? The chief top 3 of a system?</p>

<p>
[QUOTE=torreypines]

As for all those doubting whether UCSD is a flagship universities might want to eat some humble pie…

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I’m getting so tired of posts like this. UCSD is not a flagship nor will it ever be. Nor will UCLA or any other UC except Berkeley. They’re all excellent schools, that should be enough for you.</p>

<p>SaveTheManatees and rc251 are correct.</p>

<p>all 3 ucsd, ucla, and ucb are great universities… why is there so much talk about “UCSD” being flagship? -.- I see it everywhere. Always brings up arguments. I think UCSD students should just take a chill pill and learn to accept the reality that CAL is the flagship of the UC system. I doubt its students from other universities claiming UCSD as the best… (totally random, but how come theres never any talk about UCSF? yes its a med school, but its still awesome :slight_smile: )</p>

<p>I say UCSF is the Flagship of the UC system.</p>

<p>In its category of Medical Schools, it’s ranked like 5, the highest of the UC’s :)</p>

<p>UC Berkeley has always been and will always be the flagship of the UC System. It is the first UC to be founded, the most prestigious UC in terms of overall academics, and the UC Office of President (the UC Headquarters) is located in Oakland … which is near Berkeley than any other UCs.</p>

<p>UCSF is pretty damn close to oakland too.</p>

<p>Yeah… uh I vote UCSF.</p>