UCLA Admissions Class of 2026 Discussion

All decisions are posted on the same day in March. Last year it was March 19.

1 Like

My Kiddo just told me he is recycling his essay.
At this point, I am happy he is even submitting it.

Agree with @R_TX about targets becoming reaches and reaches becoming a lottery, especially for CS.
Unclear admissions policies and smart students competing for few seats are causing students to hedge their bets and apply more.
My Kiddo applied to 30% more college than his sister 4 years ago.
One parent I know keeps using these words for this year’s cycle - “It’s a blood bath out there”.

7 Likes

Hang in there. CS admissions in general are hard to come by and even traditional safety schools for top end students are deferring this year. We are fortunate that both of our in state schools have admitted my son, and one is a top program. However the whole family lost sleep as even in state admissions came later by historical standards. We are willing to apply, pay, and go out of state if need be, but I hate to see what CS admissions will look like in 2-3 years when kids will have to apply to so many schools just to have a seat. Schools are encouraging and profiting from more applications, but even their staff will get stretched to a point where the process will need to change. They simply can’t hire enough low level application readers for $15/hour to keep up. Those folks have better options too.

1 Like

Is it usually on a Friday? If so, should we be expecting decisions on March 18th?

Usually the 3rd Friday of March around 5 pm PST.

6 Likes

Got it. Thank you!

Can you explain a little about why the alumni scholarship invite is a good sign?

I understand that the Alumni Scholarship invitation is a difference process than admissions. There are around 5,000 that usually get invited to apply.

Are the 2,000 Regent candidates part of the ones invited to apply to the Alumni scholarship?

Bcos they have seen potential for leadership based on EC’s or essays and historically 60% of the invitees get accepted (data posted in this forum by someone )

1 Like

Now you’re getting our hopes up…I must have missed that post…Pointer to post number ? Search seems to be so limited here.

Sorry to interject but I think it’s more like 3,000-5,000 end up applying for the alumni scholarship each year. My child was invited to apply so as much as I’d love for your stat to be true - I don’t think we know how many are invited. I’ve only heard that the number has increased from year to year. I could be wrong…

2 Likes

I think there are a smaller amount who are invited to apply, but you don’t have to be invited to apply, so others apply who were not invited. That accounts for the larger number of applicants. But if you are invited, it does mean you have been through some type of screening process. See the info from @Gumbymom about this (see screenshot).

Wow. Then I’m surprised that only 60% end up with offers of admission. Thanks for the information.

Did anyone’s child get asked to send another supplemental essay? My daughter was invited to apply for the Alumni scholarship and then received an email asking her to submit two more supplemental essays. Needless to say she is essayed out!

Two more essays as part of the alumni scholarship invite, right?
Or do you mean two additional essays apart from the scholarship essays?

1 Like

She got an invite to apply for the Alum scholarship in mid Jan, which included two essays. Then in late Jan she got an email request for supplemental information which was two additional essays. The email said it was part of their review process and would assist readers in evaluating the application. I’m actually glad she got the request. I think the two new essays were her best essays, much better than the initial app essay.

2 Likes

In state or out of state? Thanks

1 Like

The Alumni application requires two essays. There are no additional supplemental essays. I believe there was a supplemental review request — entirely different.

Out of state. A large, urban public school in the South.

The 60% figure is from 2017 or so (when it was based on test scores as well, not on reading any essays). In recent years the number of alumni scholarship invites has been expanded very significantly (perhaps by an order of magnitude), so this number is no longer valid. It is hard to know if the alumni invite is at all correlated with admission any more.

3 Likes