UCLA Admissions Class of 2026 Discussion

I don’t think they are even reading scholarship essays yet. It first needs to be determined if they are admitted. This must be supplemental review for admissions.

2 Likes

Yes, thank you. The email did indicate it was a supplemental review. They only gave her a week to turn it around so was wondering if this is used to weed students out? While daughter has essay fatigue and a crazy schedule she is committed and was pleased to have the opportunity to give more insight and detail about herself.

Supplemental/Augmented review is separate from the Alumni Scholarship essay or Regents.

Reasons for Supplemental Review:

1. Evidence of focus on an area of special talent which may have limited a student’s time to participate in a broader range of activities.
  2. Evidence of character traits that imply a strong likelihood of making a significant contribution to campus life.
  3. Evidence of significant academic achievement or the potential for academic achievement at the University in spite of extraordinary or compound disadvantage or learning difference, or physical disability or other unusual circumstances.
  4. Evidence of significant improvement in the academic record accompanied by one or both of the following: (1) reasons for the initial poor performance; and (2) sustained and in-depth participation in educational outreach programs, which demonstrate the applicant’s commitment to succeed academically within a challenging environment.
  5. Evidence of relative lack of access to, counseling about, or support to take college preparatory, honors, Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) classes or required college entrance examinations.
2 Likes

Same day 3rd Friday of March. 5PM PST or later.

Because selection for screening for the alumni scholarship is similar to UC admissions criteria albeit slightly stricter. That makes it a positive sign.

2 Likes

Anyone can apply but the invitee list is not everyone. Also many invitees never actually apply. The extra app and essay are usually a deterrence.

2 Likes

Supplemental review is triggered by a specific event. It is neither positive nor negative, simply neutral as the admissions office needs more information to make an accurate assessment.

Not filling out a supplemental review when requested is detrimental though.

3 Likes

Curious if there was a list of prompts to answer or did they give you 2 specific prompts? Can you share what the prompts were?

They offered two optional prompts. They aligned with the Reasons for Supplemental Review outlined in post #383 above, specifically #s 1 and 3.

1 Like

Yes, Regents candidates can also be invited to apply for the Alumni scholarship. The two are completely separate processes.

1 Like

Thank you!

My daughter was in the class of 2020. She attended a public school in the Seattle area, with a 4.0, 10 AP classes and high SAT scores. UCLA asked her for supplemental essays, which were about extracurriculars if I remember correctly. She ended up getting accepted at UCLA so … take it as a good sign!

5 Likes

that is good to hear

Any information on when regent invitation comes out?

1 Like

Last year it was 2/9 I think. They haven’t announced a date.

3 Likes

I know someone who found out two years ago on February 6th that she got UC Berkeley regents scholar. So, I would think this week.

2 Likes

It looks like the UC Information Center just updated its website to reflect 2021 Admissions data. The most useful part is admission by source school (your high school) which gives the UCs a bit of context for this year’s admission. Here is the link: Admissions by source school | University of California

10 Likes

Great info. Thank you mhafez01

1 Like

Any estimate on when the Regent scholarship applications will be sent?

1 Like

Is the GAP UC capped GPA which counts 10-11 courses?