UCLA Chances

<p>So i got a 1800 on my Sat Reasoning and have yet to take my subject tests. I am bilingual so i know i will do well on the spanish subject test. I also received a 28 composite score on the Act. I have a 3.9 weighted gpa. My EC’s are mostly sports. 3 years of football (two varsity) and 3 years of Track and field (2 varsity). During this summer i am going to volunteer at the animal shelter and i volunteer at church. Both of my parents were immigrants and never completed high school in their home country or here. </p>

<p>what do you think my chances are of being accepted into UCLA. What other Uc do you think i should apply to?</p>

<p>Not very good chance at UCLA, UCB, and probably UCSD. But you might be able to get into either UCSB, UCI, or UCD, You are definitely in UCSC, UCR, and UCM.</p>

<p>ok thanks for being honest</p>

<p>if you are Hispanic, your chances are better than statistics would indicate. First generation to attend college for a URM is a big plus factor for UC.</p>

<p>^ Proposition 209, passed in 1996, barred the UCs from considering gender, race or ethnicity in admissions, so being Hispanic will not be considered. Being first-generation to attend college will be considered. [CA</a> Secretary of State - Vote96 - Text of Proposition 209](<a href=“http://vote96.sos.ca.gov/bp/209text.htm]CA”>http://vote96.sos.ca.gov/bp/209text.htm)</p>

<p>Correct, but you need to understand the way things are evaluated. First gen Northern European is not reviewed in the same light as first gen URM. UC makes it clear that one of the reasons for Comprehensive Review is to ensure that the campuses “look like California” in accordance with the Master Plan.</p>

<p>Indeed, I do understand the way things are evaluated. Every time the UCs, in an effort to boost URM enrollment, try to add something that acknowledges race or ethnicity in admissions, there are immediate court challenges and those things are removed from the process. Currently the only way the UCs are finding to “get around” prop 209 is to offer outreach and special programs to URM high school students and then give preference for applicants who attended those programs, regardless of gender, race or ethnicity. The hitch in that, of course, is that the programs have to be open to all races and ethnicities, though access can be limited because of income. The programs are marketed to the high schools located where URM populations are higher to attempt to ensure “most” attendees are URM. A report from UCLA: <a href=“http://www.senate.ucla.edu/committees/executiveboard/documents/KSRProposition209Overview.pdf[/url]”>http://www.senate.ucla.edu/committees/executiveboard/documents/KSRProposition209Overview.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>since the passage of prop. 209, ‘minority’ enrollment at the UCs has plummeted. to suggest otherwise is false. please look up the numbers of black and latino/a students at most if not all of the UC campuses, then talk about that alleged “big plus factor”. the numbers don’t lie!</p>

<p>^^ever heard of Simpson’s Paradox? (Great AP Stats topic.)</p>

<p>According to the “numbers” available on UC Statfinder, admission rates to Cal by highest SAT score:</p>

<p>Hispanic</p>

<p>500-599 = 15%
600-699 = 29%</p>

<p>Af. American
500-599 = 14%
600-699 = 35%</p>

<p>White:
500-599 = 8%
600-699 = 19%</p>

<p>by gpa-uw:</p>

<p>Hispanic
3.6-3.8 = 18%</p>

<p>Af. American
3.6 - 3.8 = 25%</p>

<p>White
3.6-3.9 = 13%</p>

<p>By gpa, w-capped:</p>

<p>Hispanic
4.0-4.2 = 31%
4.2+ = 67%</p>

<p>Af. American
4.0-4.2 = 42%
4.2+ = 84%</p>

<p>White
4.0-4.2 = 25%
4.2+ = 68%</p>

<p>In addition to first-gen being a plus factor, overcoming adversity (and low income) counts as well. Thus, writing about such a topic can help an applicant to UC. (All of which is is just good public policy since passage of 209.)</p>

<p>yes, i’m well aware that it’s possible to “lie” or fudge around with statistics, but i’m speaking specifically of admissions percentages of black and latino students at the UC campuses. what u posted deals with admissions rates by SAT score, but when the actual percentages (of real students) are broken down, ‘minority’ populations in the UC system hover between 2-3% for black kids and somewhere around 8-9% for latinos. this does NOT represent the existence of an admissions boost no matter how you slice it. something else is happening.</p>

<p>yes, calimani, I understand your point that total matriculants which is extremely low. But again, I refer you to a real issue, which is illustrated nicely by Simpson’s Paradox, and it has nothing to do with fudging data. Look up Simpson’s and think about about how it might apply here. (btw: Prof. Pisani, a Cal Stats prof, writes about it in his text book using grad school admissions by sex as a example.)</p>