UCLA Class of 2027 Official Thread

yes. I am talking about UC GPA calculation. They are UC transferable and taken the summer after 9th through the summer prior to 12th. Hopefully brings my Unweighted gpa above 3.90

2 Likes

Is the purpose of sending emails out to applicants, like todays - “Campus Life – Life as a Bruin” designed to sway you? I just thought that most who did apply and were accepted would commit??
I guess this is to help yield rate… and not get the kiddos too hopeful?

1 Like

Actually their yield rate hoovers in the 40’s percentage range. So no not everyone goes there once accepted.

1 Like

They realize that it is a long wait for the UCs to announce admissions decisions. Many students already have acceptances in hand and are growing attached to those schools. Sending out reminders about UCLA helps keep students interested.

7 Likes

Yield rate for UCLA reached 50% in 2022, up from 36% in 2014. Much better trend than Berkeley which was 46% in both years.

2 Likes

Still 50% isn’t outstanding. They were 44% in 2021. Like @lkg4answers said the wait for admissions decisions is so late, applicants grow anxious and get attached to other schools. Unless they move up their decision dates to at least February, they will never reach better yields. But then I don’t think they care much about yield.

It would be very hard to move decisions to February considering the huge number of applications they have to review.

With two state flagships for the best instate students to choose from, yield is always going to be slightly lower. But what is impressive is how much UCLA has moved up relative to Berkeley in the last five years. When my twins got into both in 2018, many were surprised that S chose UCLA. Now that’s not at all surprising unless you want to study CS.

4 Likes

Not surprising really they choose UCLA.

Though alot of students in CA apply to both UCLA and Cal, quite honestly those 2 schools are dynamically different and rarely would one student would be a fit for both.

I have quite a few family members who went to Cal and I myself went to UCLA. I would not have been a good fit for Cal and those who went to Cal would not have been a good fit for UCLA.

2 Likes

I think Berkeley’s struggles with housing and relative safety around campus has tarnished its rep a little. As well, it’s got a cutthroat rep among students. Don’t get me wrong, it’s an amazing place. But with UCLA guaranteeing housing for 4 years and it’s rep as a work hard/play hard kind of place might help it become more appealing, especially to OOS kids looking for security in housing. Just musing, I have no data to back this up other than listening to my D22 discuss Berkeley and UCLA with her friends.

10 Likes

I think for a school like UCLA which doesn’t have ED, 50% is, in my opinion, outstanding! Look at schools like WashU, Emory, Rice, Johns Hopkins and Duke that use ED and yet have similar yields as UCLA. Popular publics like UMich, UNC, Georgia Tech, and UVA which all have EA and UVA with ED have smaller yields than UCLA.

4 Likes

Do I have a solid chance of getting into UCLA if I was admitted to Berkeley early as a high-stat applicant?

I was wondering about that too and also why there is an admitted students virtual session that you can sign up for which basically looks like more of an admission process overview?

2 Likes

Since each UC campus reviews applicants based on their own weighting of the 13 areas of application review criteria, there is no definitive answer other than you are a competitive applicant for all the UC’s if you have been already accepted to UCB.

1 Like

I would call it a solid chance, but still a chance. You are clearly qualified. My daughter knew plenty of kids who were accepted to one and not the other. She was accepted at UCLA and not Berkeley. She knew other kids accepted at Berkeley and not UCLA. And some got into both.

1 Like

As I’ve mentioned around here before, our neighbor’s daughter was rejected outright by UC Irvine but accepted as a Regents Scholar at UCLA. The UC admissions offices move in mysterious ways…

6 Likes

Can you elaborate on the differences in fit? Very curious as we wait for my daughter’s news.

1 Like

Different type of city, different culture and atmosphere (vibe), etc.

Northern vs. southern California. The list goes on.

Doesn’t say each isn’t a good school, just depends on what one’s view is on what college vibe they are wanting. Clearly they both rank very high on ranking lists.

Grade deflation at CAL is also a REAL thing, more so then at UCLA (I am sure they have it too but not to the extent at UCB).

I have several friends with kids at both schools currently, and the level of stress of the students at CAL is 5x’s more then those at UCLA in the same major. Clearly it could be personalities but not all if it is because of personality.

If you haven’t been to both campuses or not from CA, a visit to both campuses is a MUST before deciding and for some even before applying.

Disclaimer: I am from the bay area and grew up all around CAL and still live by it so I am very cognizant of the vibe at CAL specifically.

8 Likes

Do you have specific visiting suggestions to help a kid get an accurate impression of UCLA culture, vibe, etc? My kid visited both and came away with a negative impression of UCLA (he loves Cal), but I wasn’t there so I don’t know what he was responding to… just “didn’t like it.” If accepted to UCLA, I would want him to visit again and give it a fair shake :slight_smile:

Besides the obvious of doing an official tour, if he knows a student there always tagging along for a day is great.

But this maybe exactly what I was referencing to as with regards to “rarely would one student be a fit for both schools”. It may just not be his vibe.

4 Likes