UCLA Class of 2027 Official Thread

Yes, only swipes to go in the dining hall, however much you eat there, but the cafes also take cash or Bruin card, so that can be more cost effective if you just want a coffee or snack. S found that towards the end of the quarter his friend group would swipe each other into the dining hall if some of them had too many swipes left.

Definitely agree with the above that 14P is the way to go. And arrange with roommates to bring a mini-fridge plus Keurig or similar coffee maker with you.

2 Likes

FYI, if you are just concerned about your student having a snack to eat during the day, you can take out one cookie or piece of fruit each time you eat at the dining hall. Take something out each time and save it for later.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if my admitted daughter can still take the chemistry and math diagnostic tests ??

My daughter has been out of country and couldn’t make the july 1 deadline !!

2 Likes

Yes, as long as it is before her orientation date.

Is the chemistry diagnostic required if your major doesn’t have chemistry as a requirement?

You do not need to take the Chemistry diagnostic test unless you need to take any of the following classes:

Chemistry 17
Chemistry 14A
Chemistry 14AE
Chemistry 20A
Chemistry 20AH

Awesome, thank you!

Hi Ranger808,

I know this response is late, but YES, students may choose to pay with cash at several specialty dining halls. The residential restaurants (traditional large all-you-can-eat, such as De Neve, Bruin Plate, and Epicuria at Covel) accept meals swipes only; however, many of the specialty a la carte meal halls (Rendezvous, The Drey, Study @ Hedrick, Bruin Cafe) will accept cash and generally the prices are affordable ($10 for a full meal including drink and side).

1 Like

“Major selection does NOT play a role in the admission process for freshman applicants applying to the College of Letters and Science and Luskin School of Public Affairs.”

Schools at UCLA that DO consider declared majors for the following (which includes the holistic review conducted by Undergraduate Admission):

• The Samueli School of Engineering considers students by declared major. “Engineering, undecided” is also an option. Engineering does closely consider performance in the areas of math and science.

• The School of Nursing emphasizes science and math preparation. You must submit a supplemental application directly to the School of Nursing.

• The School of the Arts and Architecture, Herb Alpert School of Music and the School of Theater, Film and Television consider students by declared major.

“These schools also closely consider the talent presented by the student through a portfolio, audition or supplemental information collected through a school-specific application. This talent plays a critical role in the selection process.”

1 Like

Yes, I am aware of how UCLA selects applicants and not sure why you are responding to the post. The answer I gave to another poster was in regards to alternate majors. The UC application allows applicants to list an alternate but UCLA only considers the first choice major listed on the application. Although the College if L&S does not admit by major, as an admitted student your major is listed in the acceptance email.

The original question by Fav1 was, " If I am not admitted for my first choice major. Will UCLA review me for my Alternate major?"

I’m responding because it sounded from your answer to that question that UCLA takes the selected major into account when making admission decisions, but it doesn’t unless the student is applying to a specialty school at UCLA.

Your answer to a poster’s question was " No, UCLA only considers your first choice major." But they don’t consider your major at all. I wanted to make sure future applicants and parents reading this thread got correct information.

You can list your major on your UCLA application, but unless you are going into one of UCLA’s specialty schools, your major is not something considered at all for admissions.

And if you declare a major on your application and are admitted to UCLA, and you are not locked into that choice of major when you arrive on campus.

My daughter did not have this information when she applied or when she arrived as a freshman at UCLA last year, and so I wanted to make sure future families/students reading this thread know they don’t have to worry about declaring a major on their application if they are applying for The College of Letters and Science or Luskin School of Public Affairs.

I found this forum extremely helpful when my daughter was applying to college (and many of your posts in particular), and I appreciated so much finding updated information that would help my daughter be prepared in the application process. So, that is why I responded.

This is only true for the College of Letters and Sciences which does house the majority of majors but for the rest of the Colleges at UCLA as noted by you, major is considered.

Also true, that any admitted student is not locked into a major but switching majors between Colleges is not guaranteed such as L&S to Engineering.

Yes, I should have specified that L&S does not consider first choice major for admissions and UCLA as a whole does not consider alternate majors at all.

According to @Fav1 posting history, they applied for Nursing so admit by major.

1 Like