UCLA Class of 2027 Official Thread

Definitely mention being a fan in the response then!

1 Like

Does anyone know anything about the Ella Okern Hutchins scholarship fund. UCLA sent me an email saying I received it. I tried to do research about it, but I couldn’t find anything.

https://ucla.academicworks.com/opportunities/43571

The Ella Okern Hutchins Scholarship Fund was established in 1989 by the Ella Okern Hutchins Trust to provide graduate merit based fellowships _and _undergraduate need and merit based scholarships for worthy students of character and ability.

Per the Trust: “one-third of available funds will be used for graduate merit based fellowships; two-thirds for undergraduate need and merit based scholarships.”

1 Like

Congratulations and sounds like a wonderful opportunity. Do they give you a dollar amount for the scholarship?

It’s 5k so now I don’t really have to pay anything out of pocket. I literally screamed when I got the notification.

2 Likes

I saw this, I just couldn’t find much info on it like the big bang scholarship.

Hello,

I am currently a rising freshman at UCLA and I am planning on attending the July 5-7 orientation. Earlier in June I did the free score sending option for sending my AP scores to the admissions team, although I was unaware that they would only be sent by “early July,” as collegeboard called it. Most of my scores came from before senior year (AP tests I took in junior/soph year), and I was planning on using these known scores for AP credit in english and math. Does anyone know what early July means? Additionally, what are my options for orientation?

My son just took the math placement test and got into 31AL. He missed 31A by 2 points. I understand that 31AL has an extra lab and it will still get you into the same class as 31A if you pass. Does 31AL cost more?
How does payment work for credits at UCLA. Would it be the same cost per quarter if you take 3 or 5 classes, or do you pay for each credit?

If you are enrolled as a full-time student, you pay the same tuition whether you are taking 12 units (minimum full-time) or 19 (maximum full-time for the College).

31AL is designed for students without a strong foundation in precalculus. The extra “lab” section builds students’ overall mathematics skills, which while it may sound like a pain, I have heard only positives from friends who have taken the class. Also, I think the class is smaller, which (for most) can be less intimating than a 200-person math 31A lecture.

In summary, there are no downsides to 31AL vs 31A other than an extra hour a week devoted to improving fundamental maths skills.

2 Likes

Does anyone have information on the chemistry diagnostic test? How long does it take? What is the scoring scale that will allow the student to get into chemistry 20A? how many problems? Etc. thank you!

My daughter decided to pay the $15 to send a report with all her previous scores so it would be there in time, and then the free one will just have the newest ones. I know that’s what a lot of people have done.

1 Like

My daughter took it on Friday and she was done in 35 minutes and there was 39 questions and 5 of those are on classes you took prior. From what I understand it is a suggestion and your student ultimately decides what class is right for them.

Can someone explain how the meal plan works in terms of the cost per meal? We got 14P which I understand is 14 meals and if he doesn’t use all, can be transferred to the next week. But what is considered a meal? Do all meals cost the same? What if he uses his Bruin card for a smoothie or ice cream, is that considered 1 meal?

Dumb question probably, but can somebody tell me what happens if you decide to not take any of the diagnostic tests?

If you plan to skip the Diagnostic tests before attending your New Student Session, then you would not be eligible to enroll in any of the courses that have the testing requirement.

My daughter did it today but no score. She said score is muted…. Is this correct?

The plans basically work with “swipes” as a unit. It depends on which kind of eating facility you go to – some are more “dining hall” style places, and you swipe and then more or less can eat as much as you want in terms of what you put on your plate. Others are more cafe-style/take-out places, and in that case, you might have to swipe more than once to get what you want – like a sandwich is a swipe, a smoothie is another swipe. Getting the 14P is good because that allows you to use more than one swipe within a meal period during the day. Plus the excess swipes roll over from week to week until the end of the quarter. My son is 2 years into his time at UCLA and after experimenting with other options (like 19R), he’s convinced 14P is the best plan. He’s moving off campus this year but will miss the dining halls! Also, don’t forget that you can use a swipe in the morning at your dorm (front desk I think?) to get a voucher that you can use at some of the places in Ackerman so that you don’t have to get all the way back to hill to eat lunch. I know he used to do this and eat at Panda Express during the day. In any case, swipes don’t equate really to a particular dollar value.

Thank you! So is a cookie and a meal on a plate from the dining hall require the same amount of swipes? Are students allowed to pay cash for smaller items (like a cookie or ice cream) and save their swipes for bigger meals?

1 Like

I might be wrong, but I don’t think cash is really a thing. I know, for example, that when my son brings a guest like a student or family member (although I personally have never gone to eat with him because that was not allowed due to COVID at the time), he had to use swipes to pay for them. They can’t just pay money. So I would assume no at the dining halls. I’m not sure that’s the case at some of the cafe kind of places. I know that when we visited I was able to buy a coffee at a cafe on the hill, for example. But I would definitely send questions to the dining hall people via the housing link. It’s tied to that. You can find lots of info here: https://ask.housing.ucla.edu/

@Ranger808 this video is pretty helpful. It doesn’t really answer the question about paying in cash, but I guess I just wouldn’t rely on that to be an option. However, you can definitely pay cash (or Bruincard funds, which are different than meal swipes – they should at least have some money put on their Bruincard to pay for stuff like laundry) at the places off the hill like Ackerman, etc. I have generally found the meal swipes plan to be kind of confusing and am sort of looking forward to my daughter having a different kind of plan at UCSD which seems tied to actual dollars (Triton dollars). She will just pay for what she buys.