UCLA or UCSB or

<p>I got admitted to UCLA, UCSB, UCSD and UCI and I’m planning to major in chemical engineering. My top choices are UCLA and UCSB. According to some rankings, UCSB is shown as a very good university for chemical engineering. However, UCLA is known to be good at most things and has a better reputation. I am really having a hard time deciding which school to go and asked for many tips and it turned out that half of the people i asked say UCLA and the other half says UCSB. I’m planning to do graduate studies afterwards, what is actually more important for an undergraduate? To go to the one with better program or go to the one with better name?</p>

<p>If you are a professional in chemE or materials science, UCSB chemical and materials engineering are basically of the best in the world.</p>

<p>Although I don't know how these extend to the undergrad level.</p>

<p>materials science in UCSB is only for graduate and the chemical engineering is 2nd in the UC's for both undergrad and grad</p>

<p>Since you seem pretty certain about chemical engineering go to UCSB.</p>

<p>Between choosing a better program vs a better name, choose the better program because graduate schools are aware of the top programs in their specific fields. But above this choice should be which school appeals to you the most on a personal level. You don't want to end up somewhere where you don't want to be, because it will affect your ambition and eventually GPA.</p>

<p>Again, UCSB chemical engineering is basically top notch, head and shoulders above UCLA. (Well, maybe not head and shoulders, just significant).</p>

<p>For Chemical Engineering, the above posters have it right -- go for SB.</p>

<p>I would go to UCLA. Just because you major in Chem Eng, doesn't really mean you'll get a job as a chem eng. In that very likely case, the UCLA name will do more for you.</p>

<p>While UCLA might be ranked higher, it's not for your specific field. If you're sure that's what you're interested in, go for UCSB. UCLA's name won't help you as much as the better education in that field from UCSB. (IMO)</p>

<p>My reasoning is that he won't pursue the field that he's in. Little cynical, but take at look at pre-med stats, lit stats, business stats etc. Statistically people don't get jobs specific to their major. I'd imagine the job market for a chem eng isn't too great, but I really don't know, for any of the engineering job markets really, I don't know.</p>

<p>B</p>

<p>General consensus: If you absolutely want to do ChemE and are sure you'll stick to it, go to UCSB. Otherwise, go to UCLA.</p>

<p>If you're still not sure, let other factors (campus/social life) influence your decision.</p>

<p>I came from UCSB ChemE, 95% of my class went on to take on ChemE professions/grad school. The last 5% went on to do consulting/finance straight out from UCSB.</p>

<p>Also, I don't think you'll have a problem finding a job in another sector if you graduate from UCSB. I think the median starting salary of my year was like 65k (no joke, fresh out of college), the highest I heard was ~90k I think with ExxonMobil or some other big oil in off shore drilling operations. Everyone in the chemical engineering industry knows about the top-level chemical engineering at UCSB. I barely hear anything about UCLA chemE. You should really talk to "real" people who are in the business and you will know for sure that UCSB is the place to be.</p>

<p>It's not like an entire new world of alternative job prospects will open just because you went to UCLA or that you'll get an extra salary boost btw. UCSB also have those opportunities as mentioned.</p>

<p>Go for UCSB. UCLA's name doesn't help you THAT much more...</p>

<p>Now Harvard, on the other hand...</p>

<p>thank you so much for your replies. Took me a while to decide. Now what's left is to visit both campuses and their facilities. Oh by the way I think there is a higher chance for me to stick with chem eng since I'm transferring as a junior (was majoring in computer science, civil eng, etc... but i've been sticking to chemical eng for a whole year and a half). thanks</p>

<p>good luck!</p>

<p>I'm surprised that ExxonMobbil did drilling and usually drilling jobs are often base + bonus, where the bonus is like equivalent to your base salary. Most oil companies just contract out upstream to Schlumberger or Haliburton.</p>

<p>Note, median salary is not the same as mean salary. Many times you get people who take a job in nonprofit, teaching or change jobs. </p>

<p>Majority of oil pays 70k, while manufacturing/rest pays 60k. Assume 50% oil, 50% manufacturing, and you get 65k.</p>

<p>I would recommend you to go to a campus you can fit better into, thus you'll do better. ChemE is not the easiest major, you'll want to cry at times. </p>

<p>ChemE at UCLA is more biomolecular focused. Amgen, Genetech, Baxter are big hirers of UCLA ChemEs. </p>

<ul>
<li>TB54, UCLA ChemE 08</li>
</ul>

<p>Most definitely ChemE is not for everyone.</p>