UCs ... are admission decisions independant

<p>Hey, my friend and I are waiting for admission decisions from UC Berkeley. However she applied to UCLA as well as Berkeley. Apparently she got into UCLA and is now worried that Berkeley will automatically reject her app. Will that happen??? … aren’t the admissions decisions independant of those given by other UCs???</p>

<p>thanks in advance =)</p>

<p>The UC admissions offices don’t even keep in contact about students. The decisions are entirely independent.</p>

<p>oh k … thanks</p>

<p>If I remember correctly, all the UC’s are interrelated by a vast system of neurons. They all know whats going on and share info and gossip regularly. They keep tabs on every student that moves on each of the 10 campuses. If you sneeze at UCLA, UC Merced wil know about it. So if your friend got into UCLA Berkeley will definately know and will give the good o’le rejection hammer. Be sure to comfort her!</p>

<p>Just kidding… UC’s really dont see what other schools you got into</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>^ No doubt about it. :wink: Congrats to your friend. Each UC makes their decision independently and is looking for a different set of qualities. Whether you get accepted or rejected is not because of colleges talking to each other (as if they have time for that or actually care).</p>

<p>lol, navyfield :]</p>

<p>lol navyfield … i was worried there for a second …thanks you guys</p>

<p>I think for the most part they make it independantly, but not completely. If you get into one UC, all the UC’s will know about it.</p>

<p>At least that’s what UCSD cited as the reason for rejecting a lot of their applicants. I hear that generally people who get into UCLA and Berk get rejected from SD though. So idk, I’m hoping that Berk won’t reject me for getting into UCLA.</p>

<p>Oh, but what people are saying about one UC not seeing another UC’s accpetances is probably wrong. I mean, if you send you SAT score to one, they’ll send it to any of the schools you applied to in their system, not to mention that sometimes strong applicants get into colleges they didn’t even apply to because of this system of info sharing they have.</p>

<p>What navyfield said may be an exaggeration, but not one too extreme.</p>

<p>@konakup, UC admission decisions are entirely independent. Even if one campus knows the applicants have applied to other campuses, the readers are often required to ignore that fact when evaluating the applications. The only UC that cares about “applicant interest” is UCI, so it helps to gush about how much you love UCI if that is the only UC campus you apply.</p>

<p>I could see the entirely independent part, but I really can’t see the “they don’t even know which schools accepted you part” which some people claim to be true, if I’m reading their posts right.</p>

<p>When they process 50,000 applications, they don’t bother to investigate anything they don’t need to make a decision. This is why counselor recommendations or midyear grade reports are just dumped in the wastebasket (unless the UC requested them from a very few applicants). While some technically could look over SAT reports and check the codes for other schools, I highly highly doubt that someone spends the time and I am quite convinced that the admissions database and software wouldn’t record that anyway. For it to matter, the person who enters the SAT score verification would have to be the person doing the admissions reading at a different time and remember this single application.</p>

<p>I agree with everyone that the decisions are totally independent. With ~50,000 applications per campus, really, how much time can they spend on each one!</p>

<p>Also, so far, my son got into UCI, UCSB, UCSD, UCLA all as Regents Scholar. If they cross check, why would they do that.</p>

<p>All the applications are transmitted to the UC campuses electronically and I think it depends on the campus system whether other UC campuses are listed on the application.</p>

<p>UCLA has said that readers do not know what other UC campuses the applicants are applying because the information is not printed on the application packet. Furthermore, UCLA requires readers to disregard comments about other UCs in the personal statement (so if you said “I can’t wait to become a Cal Bear!” in your personal statement, UCLA readers are supposed to turn a blind eye). This came directly from a UCLA staffer, who specifically asked not to be named.</p>

<p>I thought I heard from somewhere that UCSD sees all the UC campuses an applicant applied. But I might be imagining that.</p>