UCSB Engineering

I’ll be attending UCSB in the fall for ChemE and I was looking on their engineering website and they recommended incoming freshman with no computer background take an intro computer programming class over the summer. Should I do that? And if so, what course should I enroll in? Java, C++, etc?

Hello there.

If you have no prior computing background (I’m assuming you mean coding), then there is an intro course you can take at UCSB in the Fall quarter. It is CS8, which is an introduction to Python.

If you have AP Comp. Sci credit or want to get credit through a college class taken elsewhere, I would focus on Python, as it is the focus of the first two (if I recall correctly) classes in the Computer Science sequence for engineers.

Even for chemical engineers? What is the difference between Python and C++? @NotYetEngineer

If you are just starting out with coding, Python is a much better place to start than C++. C++ is difficult as a starter language. If you don’t want to wait until a summer class, try Codecademy or something similar.

Yes, even chemical engineers should know some coding these days.

@rexreece

I’m pretty sure every engineering major is required to take the introductory computer science classes, which cover Python, and transition into C or C++ (don’t remember which).

Aside from that, I think most are required to take a general engineering class, in which they learn how to use MATLAB and other related programs.

[EDIT]:

Like @Ynotgo suggested, if you want an early start, you could try using Codecademy. Helps a bit; when it comes time to take the class, you’l at least be familiar with the concepts, tactics, etc.