UCSD Vs. UCD

<p>"I love San Diego. It's such a laid-back city. And there's downtown when you need that "city" feel. I'm a nightlife person, and I like to go dancing. And the beaches are ridiculously great. You can always find me at the beach or just watching the ocean from the cliffs. And we're so close to La Jolla, which really is the "jewel" of San Diego." - Student Voice</p>

<p>If you're into beaches/surfing, go UCSB anyway. Much better environment than UCSD.</p>

<p>Also, UCSD is problably the least laid-back UC you could find.</p>

<p>Anyway, this topic has continued ad infinitum... all the info is there, just let people decide.</p>

<p>
[quote]
If you're going to make such generalizations about UCD, allow me to make some about UCSD.</p>

<p>UCSD is an out-dated campus with ugly architecture, has no athletics, no school pride, is a commuter campus. For all that, the weather is the exact same, and their academics are only 2-3 rankings better, if at all. UCD on the other hand, isn't at all what you made it sound like. I recommend visiting.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>You might think or it may seem like I'm making generalizations......well actually I received acceptances from BOTH UCSD and Davis. I have been to the admit days for BOTH schools and did the campus tours. I remembered on admit day, UCD had their school band playing while I was inside the London double decker bus heading back to the parking lot. </p>

<p>Nevertheless, I decided to accept my SIR for UCSD and decline my SIR to UC Davis.</p>

<p>"Also, UCSD is problably the least laid-back UC you could find."</p>

<p>LOL</p>

<p>Spend some time at Berkeley and you'll see how wrong that statement is.</p>

<p>collegemom16,</p>

<p>OMG, please tell me more! Davis sounds FANTASTIC, I want more information!!!</p>

<p>By the way, half of your links don't work.</p>

<p>I have visited Berkeley many times... from what I've seen, people are very laid back, less so than my visit to UCSD.</p>

<p>^ Then you must have had a bad visit or something. UCSD has a reputation as being chill. Sure, there are a few Jesus freaks here and there, but they don't constitute the whole campus.</p>

<p>To the OP: Don't let the negative rumors about UCSD affect your decision too much. You'll find that they are way overexaggerated.</p>

<p>I also have to disagree with that statement. I live in the bay area and have visited Berkeley multiple times. The only people I see laid back are the tons of visitors.</p>

<p>Um what's up with all these pointless criticisms about UCSD and UCD. They're both great schools that everyone should be happy about attending.</p>

<p>Couldn't have said it better myself. Most of this thread is just filled with personal opinions, anyway. Make your own decisions people!</p>

<p>"Couldn't have said it better myself"</p>

<p>HYPOCRISY!!!!!</p>

<p>Just for you tastybeef.</p>

<p>UCD ARC
UC</a> Davis :: Department of Campus Recreation :: The ARC</p>

<p>Schaal Aquatic Center
UC</a> Davis: Visiting: Campus Map</p>

<p>Aggie stadium
UC</a> Davis News & Information :: Aggie Stadium to Be Dedicated Saturday
UC</a> Davis News & Information :: Talking ‘zero’ trash at Aggie Stadium</p>

<p>Intramural sports
UC</a> Davis :: Department of Campus Recreation :: Intramural Sports</p>

<p>Outdoor Adventures
UC</a> Davis :: Department of Campus Recreation :: Outdoor Adventures</p>

<p>Craft Center
UC</a> Davis :: Department of Campus Recreation :: Craft Programs</p>

<p>Equestrian Program
UC</a> Davis :: Department of Campus Recreation :: Equestrian Programs</p>

<p>Bowling Billiards
UC</a> Davis :: Campus Unions :: Games Area</p>

<p>Rec Pool
Image</a> 'Rec<em>Pool</em>Phillips.jpg' on "Rec Pool" - Davis Wiki</p>

<p>Experimental College
Experimental</a> College</p>

<p>Recreation guide
<a href="http://campusrecreation.ucdavis.edu/press/publications/SU08recreationguide.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://campusrecreation.ucdavis.edu/press/publications/SU08recreationguide.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I've always wondered: why does Davis have so much more brochure material than other UC's?</p>

<p>After thinking about the bigger picture, I've finally got it. The school probably has trouble attracting stronger applicants. I mean, why else?</p>

<p>People from Davis like to suggest Davis as the next flagship UC, but this obviously can't happen with its current student body. Thus, to attract stronger students, they spread the idea that going to UC Davis is like going on a tour of the Willa Wonka chocolate factory, in which all your desires and whatnot will be fulfilled. Unfortunately, this is not a self-fulfilling prophecy-- you can say all the things you want about the future of the school, but those things don't simply materialize into the truth.</p>

<p>And I'm sure most prospective students see this as well. You can list a thousand things that are unique to Davis, but you can also list a thousand things unique to other UC's as well. What's unique about Davis doesn't make going there a better experience than going to another UC. Furthermore, no posters from other schools find it necessary to point out everything and anything of interest. Davis posters like to say UCSD is boring, but it's only because UCSD posters don't take the time to list every event as if it were the greatest thing ever. As a case in point, Sungod festival is an exciting event at UCSD, but no students talk about it like the grandest day of the year on CC. Now, if Davis had Sungod, I'm sure we would never hear the end of it.</p>

<p>Tastybeef, I'm not really sure that's the case.</p>

<p>Their avg. GPA this year was 3.94, and they had the highest SAT after UCSD. It's also ranked right after UCSD, etc. I wouldn't say they have a problem attracting strong applicants at all.</p>

<p>Nobody is saying that the Davis student body is not strong. It's just not strong enough to become the next flagship UC as everyone claims. It's not a matter of attracting strong applicants, but a matter of attracting stronger applicants from Cal, UCLA, UCSD, etc. And you've made that point pretty clear with UCD's lower average GPA and SAT when compared to UCSD's.</p>

<p>Look at this thread. Posters from Davis convince people to attend Davis, because Davis has a "growing reputation" and a "better atmosphere." Completely irrelevant facts are thrown around as if they mattered. For example:</p>

<p>
[quote]
UCD endowment is 650 million, according to 2007 data. MUCH more than UCSD.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>This matters, WHY? Do you really think you, as an undergraduate, will be able to tap into this endowment money? You'd be a fool to think that.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Biological Sciences is the most popular major on the UC Davis campus.
UC Davis confers the highest number of doctoral and bachelor degrees in the biological sciences.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Right, what's the point? Biology is a popular major, we get it. Newsflash, it's the most popular major at every UC. At Berkeley, there are around 800 graduates in MCB (Molecular and Cell Biology) and IB (Integrative Biolgoy) every year. At UCSD, human biology and general biology are also the most popular majors.</p>

<p><a href="Davis%20better%20in%20Bio,btw">quote</a>

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Here's an unfounded one. There is no undergraduate biology ranking, so where is this from? If you look at any graduate rankings, you'll see that Davis is not as strong in Biology as everyone makes it sound like. Hate to break it to you guys, biology at Davis is just MEDIOCRE with the exception of Ecology.</p>

<p>NRC</a> Rankings in Each of 41 Areas</p>

<p>These are only a few as this thread is long, but I'm sure you get the point.</p>

<p>First of all, that's one ranking. Although it just so happens Davis beats schools like Yale,Brown and other Ivies in many areas. (according to that one ranking you provided)</p>

<p>Secondly, when mentioning the endowment, the issue was prestige, and I was simply saying UCD is alloted more funding. However, yes, as an undergraduate you will feel the effect of that, with stronger facilities, better departments, etc.</p>

<p>Anyway, stop bashing schools. They're both good, let people make their own decisions.</p>

<p>
[quote]
First of all, that's one ranking. Although it just so happens Davis beats schools like Yale,Brown and other Ivies in many areas. (according to that one ranking you provided)

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Yes, it is only one ranking. In fact, it's one more ranking than you can come up with. The problem here isn't Davis beating Ivies in Ecology, but whether biology at Davis is better than biology at UCSD. You have not shown anything that says biology at Davis is better than biology at UCSD, not even with a single ranking.</p>

<p>
[quote]
However, yes, as an undergraduate you will feel the effect of that, with stronger facilities, better departments, etc.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>You've never been to college and it shows. Endowment doesn't equate better facilities. Good examples of this are Cal and UCLA. They both have huge endowments, but their facilities are old. As for better departments, you don't notice it as an undergraduate.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Anyway, stop bashing schools.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>eric_123456 puts it well: "HYPOCRISY!!!!!"</p>

<p>It's not just in Ecology. So, according to you, Endowment means literally nothing than? Coming from school with 2.9 billion? Interesting...</p>

<p>Lastly, I have said awhile ago this topic isn't useful anymore, yet you continue to bring up new arguments. In fact, I bet you make another post after this one, as well.</p>

<p>I actually find this thread quite interesting and useful.</p>

<p>The thread is called UCSD vs UCD.
I would rather see all the arguments about the school in this thread than in a "I went to UCSD because..." thread. ;)</p>

<p>The importance of endowment lies in its permanence. It is the college's hedge against future financial challenges. It is an institutional "savings account in perpetuity" which generates a flow of income annually that will always be there. Donors can elect to establish named endowments to honor or memorialize a loved one while assisting in the support of a cause close to that family's heart, whether it be scholarships, student awards, faculty chairs or professorships, capital construction or building maintenance. Unrestricted endowment is equally critical, as it provides enduring support for the overall health of the institution. Endowments are essential because they provide funds for faculty positions, research, fellowships, lecture series, library needs and scholarships. All students (including undergraduates) benefit from endowment funds. Due to the importance of endowment and the gifts that build it, every university must make building their endowment a top priority. Endowment funds provide an important measure of financial stability. They guarantee the viability of the university for now and for generations to come.</p>

<p>Is it any wonder that Harvard has the largest endowment of any university?</p>

<p>
[quote]
Endowments are essential because they provide funds for faculty positions, research, fellowships, lecture series, library needs and scholarships. All students (including undergraduates) benefit from endowment funds.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>This is true for private schools, but not public schools like the UC. Furthermore, graduate students feel the impacts way more than undergraduates.</p>

<p>Example 1: Berkeley has a massive endowment. Yet, classes (lecture series) are getting cut. Recently, the EALC at Berkeley is being heavily cut despite the endowments. Some classes are cut as heavily as 60%. If you think this would be different at other UC's, then think again.</p>

<p>Example 2: The UC is facing financial challenges now. Next year, tuition fees are going up by 7%, what are your endowments doing for you?</p>