UM or IU?

<p>Which school do you think is better for a future in consulting? Also which school has a better feel overall; academics, nightlife, school spirit? I am also black so which do you guys think has more diversity and intermingling between races?</p>

<p>UM is stronger in all aspects pretty much. It is ranked #47 nationally (as a whole University, however the various schools are ranked differently in comparison to IU) Nightlife: its Miami…you can’t go wrong. Most of the campus gets involved with sports whether it is watching or participating. And UM is definitely far more diverse than IU. I have friends in both places and my black friends at IU says its not very diverse and lots of the races hangout with only their race. When I visited UM i came in contact with honestly 15+ different types of people and i was only there for 3 days. Overall Miami have better weather, more things to do on and off campus, more spirit and more diversity. I applied to both Miami and IU and I think UM is just a better place to be</p>

<p>If your talking strictly about business school then you would have to give the nod to Indiana’s Kelley School. If you care about these things BusinessWeek ranks Kelley 19th in undergrad business while Miami is at 54th. Additionally, Kelley has well-known Consulting and Investment Banking Seminars (the catch is that they are very competitive to get into, but have nearly a 100% placement rate on graduation). That said, Miami’s reputation is steadily increasing. My expectation is that with the hiring of a new dean from Wharton that upward trend should continue.</p>

<p>Nightlife: Miami has campus parties & Miami. Indiana is a college town.</p>

<p>Diversity: Miami is the most diverse campus I’ve ever seen and probably one of the most diverse anywhere.</p>

<p>School Spirit: Miami kind of disappoints on this front. I don’t know if it’s because the football games aren’t played on-campus or if there’s just so much else to do in the city but my son always complained that students were very laid back about the school especially compared to Big 10 schools. Indiana is literally the only game in town for about 60 miles so life very much revolves around campus.</p>

<p>The truth is that these two schools are very different experiences. Indiana is a big public university in a rural setting with pretty much everything in town revolving around it. Miami is a diverse medium-sized private school in an equally diverse urban environment. You really need to prioritize the things that mean the most to you. My son was extremely happy with his Miami experience, but he is a Marine Sciences grad; as a potential business school candidate your decision may be quite different.</p>

<p>Thank you for your input. I have a lot to think about…and is miami really getting a n</p>