UMass Amherst Class of 2027 EA thread

Going back to the 90’s (for myself) is consistent with current casual conversations with kids in my sons school that went to UMass. Graduating in 4 years is less a function of “getting the classes I needed” than it is “I changed my major and/or dropped some classes mid semester or had to re-take a class or two”. I took 1 class my last semester because I had taken an extra class here and there (summer, inter-session, night). How that weighs into $$ is a tough crystal ball.

1 Like

I’d say there’s probably a few hundred students in the journalism program, with lots of crossover between the communications, English, and journalism departments. The professors are generally really supportive and many have real world experience, which helps immensely with getting internships and jobs.

There’s also an internship requirement that journalism majors have to fulfill to graduate, and because of that lots of opportunities are passed down to students in the form of career fairs, professors notifying you of opportunities or making connections, etc. UMass also has a couple school newspapers/magazines, a radio station, and a tv station, all of which report on sports, so it’s decently easy to get experience. In my experience, journalism students tend to be those interested in English, politics, and soft science paths, so sports is a bit of an easier path to find opportunities for on campus.

Overall, I really like our journalism program and I didn’t even intend on being a journalism major. We have up to date media and technology classes, really lively technology hubs, and professors who have actually worked in the field, which are all really helpful.

2 Likes

This is invaluable. Thank you! We look forward to doing an admitted student event in February. Thanks again!

1 Like

My son is going into Physics. He has AP Physics. When he spoke to one of the professors, he said they prefer Physics students to take UMASs Physics class so they have the base of what they want them to build on. They teach stuff that AP doesn’t cover. Ugh.

1 Like

Chem showed similar online, but when we spoke to dept at open house, there is a new condensed 1 semester course for someone who scored 4-5 on AP exam. I wonder if physics might have something similar.

2 Likes

That would be nice. I’ll have my son look into it. Thanks for info.

Here are your journalism numbers:

4 Likes

Thank you!

Same here. I did just see on their admissions social media (Instagram) that they will send the email on 1/22 for the accepted students day sign up info

1 Like

Any idea when the next wave of decisions will be released? Later on this week? My senior (CS, OOS) is anxiously waiting (me too!)…

4 Likes

Ig it’ll be 19/1 cuz last wave was 12/1 and they usually space it waves out a week

4 Likes

where would you find merit on the acceptance?

1 Like

It’s listed in the decision itself. The next sentence after “you’ve been accepted.”

1 Like

people on here share deferrals/rejections all the time. They (We) may be self-selecting in that they see fewer deferrals/rejections except at T20s. I would guess the first two waves are all acceptances.

(S23 was Deferred ED at Dartmouth, for example. Accepted to UMass first wave with CHC and merit).

Congrats! What major at UMass?

1 Like

Hi all. Is there anyone on this thread from MD? Montgomery County specifically? Thx

Economics. It’s a weird situation as we are OOS but moving to Mass this summer. So after 2-3 semesters he will be in-state and looks like he would lose all his merit then. In-state is still less $$ than OOS with merit but not by much. It’s a compelling offer but he still has 11 schools to hear from.

3 Likes

I saw on IG that Jan 22 they get the links to sign up for Admitted Student events. We’re in CA, so virtual is the only option. Does anyone have experience with those and which do you recommend? Should he focus on the CHC events (not sure they are even virtual?)

I hope they are on weekends. It’s been hard to participate in live virtual events for east coast schools as they tend to fall in the middle of my kids school days.

Not sure about this board since this is the only school we applied to that does this “wave” thing, but I’ve found people to be very open/honest on other boards. We got deferred at South Carolina, and if you look at posts on that board it almost seems like they deferred more applicants than they accepted.

1 Like

My statement is about higher ed in general, not specifically UMass. Admitted student days are about the school selling the student on “why you should come here over the other schools you’ve been admitted to”. They’ll give more information about the overall campus, do a dorm tour (they’ll pick the nicest dorm on campus - not the one you’re likely to get placed in). You’ll get to eat some cafeteria food (they’ll go out of their way to make this better than the day to day stuff you’re going to get). You’ll get to visit your accepted program and get more information.

Need to go to it depends on how much the kid has already experienced the school or not, where is the school on the kids ranking of other schools they’ve gotten into - including any economic factors. If my son had already done a general admissions and program tour I wouldn’t be too concerned about them missing an admitted student day unless it was their #1 choice and/or it was super convenient to do it.