UMass Amherst Class of 2027 EA thread

My son was in a last wave and was admitted into Isenberg a few years ago.

8 Likes

when was that? end of January?

Has anyone here been able to sign up for the admitted student events yet? My kid says she doesnā€™t see any way to sign up yet, and we will be traveling from the west coast so want to make sure sheā€™s signed up. She canā€™t attend the ā€œdestination dayā€ for her college but wanted to do one of the shorter admitted student events. It says an email will be sent with info to register, but donā€™t think sheā€™s received that yet.

Not yet. They will be emailing a registration link soon.

2 Likes

anyone down to call admissions office and ask for any updates? :grin:

3 Likes

Has anyone looked into how likely it is for a student to graduate in 4 years? Iā€™ve looked at the numbers - looks to be high 60ā€™s or low 70ā€™s depending on the source. I guess Iā€™m looking for some anecdotal evidence - like experiences others have had or heard about with regards to getting the right classes when needed.

D23ā€™s merit offer is about 6k short per year of what we needed for UMASS to be within budget. So Iā€™m trying to make sure we consider all cost factors. UMASS is her top choice.

We are from the West Coast and so we donā€™t hear chatter about whatā€™s going on at the MA state schools like we do about our more local schools.

Yes, my dd called as well and admissions said the reg link will be emailed on 1/22

2 Likes

One of my twins received a pretty good meritā€¦or so I thought until I ran the numbers. We are OOS. This is his top pick but Iā€™m not sure it will happen. 5 years would be a definite deal breaker. I want to figure out cost if he lived off campus. Still hoping for other twin to get accepted.

2 Likes

I hear you! Thatā€™s true I hadnā€™t thought of what would be if/when they move off campus. Keep me posted on what you find out and Iā€™ll do the same.

2 Likes

From my experience going to UMass in the 90s I was able to complete my degree in 4 years. I had friends that took 5 but they changed their major. Not sure what it is like now, but I have former students who went within the past 5 years and graduated in 4.

2 Likes

thank you so much!

1 Like

This is anecdotal, but Iā€™m a current UMass student and I donā€™t think it should take more than four years to graduate if a student has some AP/IB credit and doesnā€™t change their major frequently. Almost every freshman Iā€™ve met has between 15-25 credits, so thatā€™s one year done, and I know multiple CS majors who finished a semester early. Iā€™m a journalism student, but I took 10 APs in hs, 8 of which UMass counted, and I had 41 credits going in.

3 Likes

My son just got accepted into the journalism program and I would love to get your insight on the program itself and your experience! He was also offered CHC and is thinking about doing a double major - possibly a combo with economics. Any insight from you would be greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

It feels like many graduate early, actually. There are a lot of students who come in with tons of AP credits and/or take extra classes. Definitely possible to graduate in four years. Students do need to make sure to seek advice from advisors, sign up for classes on time, and keep track of prerequisites. Like any public school, there is bureaucracy and little hand-holding, but the resources are there.

2 Likes

Thank you SO much! Do you like the school? Itā€™s D23ā€™s number one pick but for the $6k too much in cost so far.

She also loves lively classroom discussions and having some interactions with professors. Do you sense that there are maybe some classes on campus that offer that at some point? She knows there will be plenty of large lectures as well.

Does anyone know when we should expect financial aid packages for admitted students? Do they come out after all EAs are out?

I think thereā€™s definitely the chance for classroom discussion and professor interaction. I specifically only took classes with less than 50 people this past semester and while there wasnā€™t as much classroom discussion as I was hoping, every professor was super approachable and willing to talk (and this is professors from all subjects, including physics, linguistics, and marketing). Thereā€™s definitely more discussion in higher level (400 and 500) level classes because many of the students are familiar with each other.

I would say that of the 5 courses I took last semester, 1 had really lively discussion, 3 had medium/semi lively class discussion, and 1 was a bigger gen ed with almost no discussion.

2 Likes

Of course! If you have any specific questions or concerns I can definitely answer those. Iā€™m studying journalism with a concentration in PR. The journalism department requires students to have another major or minor to graduate, and if heā€™s passionate about econ, itā€™s definitely a great choice - not too much overlap between the classes, but the departments and schools work together well. The two biggest bonuses of the CHC are the fact that it looks good on a resume/transcript and that the dorms are nicer - from what I know, it wonā€™t make his time at school overly difficult.

1 Like

Thanks so much! Just curious how many students in total are in the Journalism program, how supportive the professors are, what type of on campus opportunities there are for getting sports journalism experience, opportunities for internships, etc. Any pointers you have, basically :blush:

This is priceless insight thanks!

1 Like