UMass Amherst Class of 2027 EA thread

My stats are similar if not a bit worse. I had all honors and no AP’s. Went test optional. Also in-state.

Was accepted to Isenberg for Finance.

I really believe that UMass looked at more than stats. I think the essays were the big decision makers. Had to be else I wouldn’t have gotten in.

4 Likes

If I’m reading the Common Data Set numbers correctly, about 2% of the waitlist was offered a spot last year. Make of that what you will.

I wish the competitive northeastern state schools would do what the competitive southern state schools do - mandate by state law the percentage of OOS they’re allowed to take. After all, the schools are not fully self-sustaining and paid for by resident’s taxes - as such, qualified residents should be prioritized over non-residents.

Southern competitive schools range from 75/25 to 85/15 in-state/OOS ratio.

It’s sadly all about the money up here in the NE.

2 Likes

My son had everything your son had PLUS an ACT of 36!! Computer Science. Crazy!! We are instate as well!

My above response was to mjkacmom

I think your son would’ve been accepted for any other major.

1 Like

None of this makes much sense. My daughter was accepted to Isenberg and Penn State Smeal yet rejected by Ohio state. We are OOS

We have no idea why some were selected and others were not and we will never know. I had twins apply (both exact on gpa, SAT, ecs, great essays, APs, blah, blah, blah) and one got in and the other waitlisted. Why? Who knows.

Personnally, I think they take a spectrum of students with varying gpas…which is not an exclusive practice to UMASS. From reading posts I saw a student with less than stellar grades, who stated their essay was average but felt it was their ECs that got them in. A valedictorian was flat out rejected. There are similar posts like that all over. Take a look at Scattergrams in Naviance, gpas are all over the place.

I think what we can conclude from this is that there are well deserving kids that are dissappointed who need to know that this is no way a reflection on them. That there truly is are bigger and better opportunities waiting for them…they might not be able to see it now. Four years from now when they are starting their exciting first job in their field or going to Duke or Columbia :grinning: for a Masters, they won’t even remeber this.

4 Likes

Fortunately, my son got 4 acceptances and a deferral before being rejected here. Softened the blow quite a bit. Sometimes, no matter how good your stats are it’s all about the major you pick. We went into this knowing that Sports Management was one of UMass’ most competitive majors, and his guidance counselor told him that if he had his heart set on attending there he should pick a different major outside Isenberg as his 2nd choice because it would increase his chances of getting in. But for him, it’s Sports Management or bust - even if it means re-thinking what schools he wants to go to.

“Big southern football school” is now our agenda. LSU (accepted) and Tennessee (waiting for RD decision on 2/15) have just made their way to the top of the list.

3 Likes

Congrats!!! LSU is a great school. Baton Rouge is fun and lots of delicious food! Mine had already moved Amherst down the list before decisions. The announcing of admitted students day before all ea decisions were released sealed the deal. The waitlisted twin was just irritated because he and his brother are so competitive that he was one upped by him :grinning:.

2 Likes

UMass -Amherst is 66% in-state students. I am from TX originally and the top publics there are 95% Texan which is a huge detractor for out of state talent-- not just admissions but being there at all. Now I’m in CA where the UCs are limited I think to 25% OOS, but Berkeley and UCLA got a pass. These are undergrad student populations only.

I agree there should be some limit but then the state does have to fund the schools appropriately so the schools don’t need OOS tuition to continue to operate at the desired level.

And I fully support a healthy number of OOS at any and all public schools just to break the bubble a bit-- bring outside views in and let students explore out of state options to broaden their horizons. The Texas model is incestuous, and what you get from that is…Texas. (I’m kinda of joking as a born and raised Texan with all my family still there; you’ll have to just laugh instead of being insulted if you’re a Texan).

4 Likes

I am so glad my twins have not applied to any of the same schools. I feel for you!

1 Like

Helpful perspective/info - thanks!

1 Like

Honestly, there was no school that wowed them…which surprised me. They applied to 15 schools and were accepted to all, except the one waitlist, so they have no complaints. They are so laid back. But as a mom of twins, I was worried how it would play out. Now, the harder decision is whether to room together. Roommates can make or break the experience. Are your 2 all set for college?

PS…I am originally from TX and am now in CT.

1 Like

They are each into a good school but waiting on 16 more decisions.

Glad yours had such great outcomes!

1 Like

Umass and other MA state schools need money because the state has cut their contribution to state university budgets. There is a bias to choose OOS for this reason- they need higher tuition payments to make ends meet. Compared to OOS students, instate applicants have needed higher stats to gain admission to UMass. It’s ridiculous that MA instate students are disfavored by UMass when most other states heavily favor their in-state applicants. For example, NC limits OOS enrollment to just 18%.

3 Likes

It’s all a crap shoot is what I’ve learned. My son has an overall unweighted average of 98.5 and weighted of over a 99. All honors, APs and college courses. 3 NHS M,S and language, seal of bI literacy in Spanish, treasurer of FBLA, captain of both his varsity teams, helped to start a program for Special needs kids and started another club on his own, business internship, part time job and tons of community service. He did not get into UP Smeal which was his top choice. Accepted to the 2+2 program. Applied late to UMass so we’re still waiting but I’m definitely nervous as these business programs are all so competitive and I really believe it’s somewhat of a lottery. My son worked so hard and wanted Smeal UP so bad. Can’t believe his stats weren’t good enough! Frustrating . Looking like OSU!

1 Like

And my son was rejected at Smeal with high stats but accepted at OSU with honors!! I mean it makes no sense!!

I believe that the 18% limit is based on NC law, not UNC policy.

My son also got 2+2 at Penn State Smeal! We were heartbroken . Very similar EC’s as you. Feel like bigger schools didn’t have time to look at EC’s. Treasurer of DECA, pt work, captain and assistant captain at 2 varsity sports. Ton of awards, NHS…. But went test optional. We were waitlisted at UMASS but hoping you make it!! Good luck! Also Deferred Northeastern but smaller schools accepted him with honors and $25-26k scholarships. The smaller schools looked at him as a whole. Still waiting on Bentley and UConn.

2 Likes