UMD - College Park Class of 2025 Regular Decision

@warmercookies

In the past, I think at the end of January. So, I think we are not going to hear from them for couple months.

The Admissions website says that decisions will be released by Feb 1. Last year they were released on Jan 31

EA decisions will be released by Feb 1st according to the school website. Based on last two years, yes, 1/31 5:00Pm.

Does anyone know average stats for their different programs and does it really matter in terms of overall experience ? Also does in versus out of state matter in terms of program selection? We are in state.

Special school wide programs that I know of include:
Freshman Connections
Carillon
Scholars
Honors

From what I gather more than half the freshman student body are in one of these programs. I think it’s 1,000 Honors/ 1,000 Scholars/ Over 1,000 Freshman Connections- don’t understand Carillon.

I know Freshmen Connections is generally for lower stats kids. Honors is for kids with Super high stats. I’m asking about all programs though because it’s really hard to figure out and thought it might be helpful for other parents too.

Is Scholars out of reach for a 1370 SAT /10 AP kid with a 3.9 UW (coming from a test in magnet school)? I realize SAT is slightly lower than average for admitted students but it seems like their honors scholars programs are big. Does scholars matter in terms of overall experience?

Anyone care to share insight with any of these programs. UMD releases late compared to other schools my DD has applied and I’d just like to get as much information as possible first so we have time to think about it before she makes a decision- of course that’s all assuming UMD is an option for us. If not hopefully it helps other parents. Thanks in advance!

@CSJA2025

For us, we are worried more on the acceptance to school vs acceptance to one of the honors programs.

Your kid has a great stats and being in-state, I’m sure she will get into either Honors or Scholars. From my understanding, they will factor in test scores and GPA but the school will look for “fit” when place students into those programs.

Good luck !!!

@CSJA2025 - UMD does not publish Stats for the various Special Program. There are also 2 others: Civicus and FIRE.

I also think that some of the Majors have Special Programs that students and apply for, but these are not LLCs.

Every student is eligible to apply for Departmental Honors at the beginning of their Junior year.

All that being said, Stats alone will not guarantee admission into any Special Program ( especially this year with UMD being Test Optional)

My D was in the both the Honors College and Departmental Honors, but in the end college is what the student makes of it.

Here are the Decision threads for the past 2 years. You will have to scroll through the pages until you get to where the decisions are actually released.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/university-maryland-college-park/2118007-university-of-maryland-college-park-ea-class-of-2023-p1.html page 9

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/university-maryland-college-park/2147310-university-of-maryland-umd-college-park-early-action-2024-p1.html page 10

Good Luck!

@SoofDad

I followed the threads and I’m very confused still. I don’t know what Scholars or Honors or Carillon (FiRE?) really mean in terms of what is buys you. Honors kids usually get the most merit though not guaranteed. Not much merit offered by UMD.

For others my synthesis (quick glance) is roughly for in state of what you might expect…

Bar higher for OOS-

Honors Generally 1500 plus SAT/ some 1400’s though high GPAs. These are the superstars of UMD.
Scholars Generally 1400’s but some 1300 to 1500’s. Higher stats kids with lower GPAs
Carillon 1300 to 1450 ish FIRE is popular among this crowd. Higher test scores usually have lower GPAs.
Freshman Connections didn’t follow the dots enough to see what their stats are. Maybe more competitive majors have more kids in FC like Engineering due to demand.

People who didn’t get into these at the SAT above had lower GPAS.
Take with a grain of salt though, my DD is just an applicant like everyone else. I’m sure my DD will be happy if she’s just admitted but the college admissions process is overwhelming so we are just trying to understand it better.

1 Like

@ttb1963

Good luck to your child too. Acceptance is obviously the most important thing which I worry about the most. The college app process is general is not good for a worrier!

@CSJA2025 - Regarding Merit Scholarships. UMD has the following web site:

https://www.admissions.umd.edu/finance/freshman-merit-scholarships

I’ll add what I know.

First, a majority of the students in the Honors College do NOT get any scholarships.

Second, Merit scholarships are offered to Admitted Students. If that student decides not to attend UMD that scholarship is NOT offered to another student.

There are 3 basic merit scholarships offered - The Banneker/Key. the President’s, and the Dean’s.

There are 2 levels of BK scholarship, Full and Partial. The Full is just that, a Full Ride. The Partial is less (maybe $12,000 or less, depending on IS or OOS status). This is only available to students that have been admitted to the Honors college. Every year about 400 admitted students are invited to interview for the BK. Approximately 250 are offered the Full and ALL of the others get a Partial.

Each year approximately 150 of the 400 actually enroll.

The President’s scholarship ranges from $2,000 to 12,500 per year. I’ve never been able to find out the number awarded. I would guess 800 -1000.

The Dean’s scholarships range from $1,500 to $4,500 for 2 years only. Only in-state students are eligible and the number is about 400.

Each Department offers a few scholarships, but these tend to be in the $1,000 range and are primarily need based.

I’ve been following the UMD forum for a while and I seen cases where higher Stat students do not get Honors or Scholars, and lower Stat students do.

3 Likes

My son was admitted in 2019 to the scholars program. It is a 2 year program and there are 11 subprograms, you can look them up. He was in public leadership. He said it didn’t add a lot of value to his academic life, but he made a lot of friends living in the scholar dorm. The scholar dorm is Cumberland and it’s one of the nicer ones.
His stats were:
GPA UW 3.89 W 4.54
SAT 1350
ACT 32
lots of extra curricular activities: Eagle Scout
They did say they like students who fo a lot of community service in scholars.

UMD typically releases decisions on the last Friday of January, so they will most likely be released on January 29th.

1 Like

Hi, is this for rolling admissions or early action?

UMD no longer has rolling admissions from what I understand.

1 Like

For Fall 2021, UMD offers 3 types of admissions:

• Early Action: deadline November 1th, 2020
  • Regular Decision: January 20th, 2021
    _ Rolling Admission: apply after January 20th, 2021 - rolling, space-available basis.

Good luck !!!

Any information about when they will begin to release early action decisions?

Maryland always releases them together the last Friday in January

1 Like

January 29th, I’m told, and not a second earlier!

6 Likes

ty!

Given the email UMD sent out a few days ago reminding students to make sure they can access their portals, anyone have any intel on whether it means they might release decisions soon? I know in prior years it was late January, but could this be an indication that they have the decisions ready to go?
Also, does anyone know if they release in waves or all applicants at the same time?

In the past, UMD released all the decisions at the same time. Sometimes there are a few that get held up for a few days. for various reasons