UMD - College Park Class of 2025 Regular Decision

UMD does not provide the info that you are asking for.

My son was admitted Letters/Science but wanted CS. Does anyone know WHEN the gateway courses are done (e.g, end of 1st semester, end of Freshman year, later)? I don’t want this hanging over his head as a worry too far into college. He has acceptances elsewhere direct into his major where he will be less stressed, but the colleges are not as high ranked for CS and UMD. Thank you.

For the LEP I would highly recommend contacting your admissions officer in like two weeks to ask the questions.

We had an alumni event with admissions this summer and they specially went into the LEP and how to transfer into each one.

For business, for example you need the C in the gateway classes but a 3.0+ overall to apply. If you had a 3.8 you were an automatic admission. 3.0-3.78 you had to apply. I want to say the others had similar things like 3.0 overall you are in automatically but with this you can apply but I wasn’t paying close attention since my son was wanting business.

The AOs definitely know. I’d give them a few weeks though to field this first onslaught of questions or problems. They’ll I’m sure cover this in admitted students days too

1 Like

I believe some of the gateway classes are listed in the 4-year plan as benchmark requirements 1 & 2. These are also required for direct admits.

This link lists the gateway requirements.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://undergrad.cs.umd.edu/transfer-students&ved=2ahUKEwjV0r3YgMfuAhVZFFkFHTGSC74QFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1ra3pNw1vV1SyF5VNa7fW5

1 Like

You should be able to start the gateway courses first semester.

Check this link

https://cmns.umd.edu/undergraduate/admissions/new-faqs-computer-science-limited-enrollment

1 Like

ALL of the CS Gateway Courses were offered this past Fall semester and they will probably all be offered next Fall

You can use this link to see the current Spring semester Classes and if you change the “Term” field, you can see the Fall 2020 classes

Thank you. It is making sense now. I was looking at “gateway” and “benchmarks” interchangeably, but it’s not exactly the same. If I’m understanding correctly, the gateway courses are the same as the 45 credit benchmark courses, but the 75 credit benchmark is later after he’d already be admitted to CS.

Just as a point of reference, the benchmark checks do not really matter, or even happen, if a student is doing well the his/her classes.

2 Likes

So are decisions are out for everyone? I dont see any changes in my portal and am confused.

1 Like

Did you submit applications and supplement by 11/1 ? Did you View Check List in Portal to see if they receive everything by 11/1 date ?

1 Like

I don’t see a change in mine. I emailed them so hopefully they respond tomorrow

Thank you very much . I had to remove my original post as my kid didn’t want me sharing stats.

Will call Umd tomorrow and provide update.
Question is if they would consider his application for regular decision if We can request CB right away to send scores .

accepted friday 1/29
oos
3.94 UW/ 4.23 W (only one semester of weighted classes due to COVID and my school doesn’t allow APs till junior year)
35 ACT

Any one with status showing as OOS for a in state student. Also, admitted to letters and sciences but placed in scholars

I know a lot of kids who were admitted to L&S but still got scholars. The university itself determines admission first. Then they send it on to their college/major of interest. They make the decision next. Honors/Scholars/Carillion/Fire is independent of major choice.

Anyone who is In-State and has an OOS status should contact Admissions to get that corrected.

Can one appeal the decision to Letters and Sciences instead of an LEP ? Is that have to be to administration office or to the individual concerned
department

I do not believe you can appeal the decision to get into an LEP. You can probably switch into another non-LEP major.

I do believe, however, unless it is business, the transfer process into an LEP is not very difficult. I would contact their admissions officer (sounds like you need to already because of your in-state status) and ask what the benchmarks are for direct admission into the LEP.

For business I know if you have a 3.8 cumulative GPA and have gotten a C or better in the gateway classes you are a direct admit. If you have a 3.0-3.79 you have to apply for business. I know the other LEP majors are much easier to get into, but I don’t recall if there were direct admit criteria or not (my son is business so I was only paying attention to business)

Thank you. What are the chances of decisions being mixed up. Will be calling the administration office about the OOs status

I honestly don’t know what could be the chances. I do think there is a pathway into your major though for everyone. The in-state/oos is probably just a weird glitch. I can’t remember what we had to do to prove in-state but it was his DL # I think? Maybe something was off with a number or the verification? They are all starting to blur in my head it’s been so long since we submitted.