UMD - College Park Class of 2025 Regular Decision

The fo;;owing is an FAQ from the Clark School of Engineering at UMD

"Why would I be listed as a “Letters and Sciences” student if I applied to be an Engineering major?

The Clark School of Engineering receives approximately 3,000 applications each year from talented students who have been admitted to the University of Maryland. Engineering is a Limited Enrollment Program (LEP), and due to class size restrictions and other resource limitations, is not able to admit every student who applies to be an Engineering major as a freshman. As such, the Clark School will typically only admit between 1,700 and 1,800 students each year as direct freshmen admits."

That is 3,000 who selected Engineering as a major out of those admitted to UMD.

It’s the same with all the other LEPs. The numbers will be different, but the same concept applies. X number apply for the LEP. Y spaces are available. X is ALWAYS greater than Y. There are always some who are not admitted.

What do the LEP AdComs look for? Each one is probably different. I suspect that Engineering looks for engineering potential, motivation, ECs, but I don’t really know. I do know that every year about 1,200 applicants who get into UMD do NOT get into Engineering as their desired major. The other LEP decisions have similar outcomes.

Hey guys,
I was just accepted as a Business major (accounting) and also to the Honors college. Does anyone know which of the 6 Honors programs would be best for a business major to go through?

Just an update, for anyone who submitted an SAT after the Early Action deadline and applied to consider scores, you have not received a decision because you were deferred to regular action. This is exactly what just happened to me (The AO got back to me).

Thanks for the update, did you also receive an email in early January saying you would have your decision on February 1st?

No I did not. If you received that email, definitely contact the admissions office to see what’s up. Or, describe your situation to me and i can help you as best I can.

I received an email on Jan 8th saying they received my email for early action. On TAP my checklist has items received prior to 11/1 and I applied test optional. I still have not received any decision information and my portal is not updated.

1 Like

Yeah, definitely contact them about that!

Same thing with me !

My son applied Oct 29th, received the email that said thank you for applying EA, and his portal hasn’t changed nor has he received an email. We sent an email to admissions but I’m not sure if they are open today with the weather.

They are open . I spoke to them this morning

How long did it take to get through the waitlist for calling? I’ve been waiting for over an hour

Called at 9.05 am, wait was just 10 min

1 Like

Thank you. My son did receive that email, he submitted a second score after the deadline . He’s going to contact admissions today.

Good luck in RD!

Email them. They responded to me within an hour. You should also still be able to call them because they are teleworking

1 Like

Thanks, and let me know what happens! At the end of the day, especially if his SAT is strong and he has high gpa, you guys shouldn’t worry. Honors, Scholars, and merit aid scholarships are still available for RD applicants, you’re just not prioritized. But again, that being said, a strong SAT and GPA would still do the trick.

Thank you, we will follow up again!

So we got through to Admissions. Even though everything was submitted and we received Jan. 8 email- they said because SAT scores did not arrive by 11/1- was not processed for EA. :frowning:

I submitted a second score after the deadline, but I already received my decision (although I don’t think they considered the one I submitted after 11/1). If there is a score received date on his application that’s before 11/1, I think there was probably a mix-up with his application. I hope they still consider him for EA!

So admissions to honors and merit aid are available even to EA applicants who were automatically deferred to RD? If so that’s great news. That was my main worry lol

They are available to both EA and RD applicants, but EA applicants are prioritized and automatically considered. Tbh, I don’t know what that means, but what I do know is that a strong application can still get you that stuff. An Admission Officer told me that today.

“That said, applying early-action only guarantees an automatic review for our special programs and merit-based scholarships. however, that does not mean that regular decision applicants are not considered. If their application is strong and warrants a selection to any of our special program (contingent on space-availability) and/or merit-based scholarships, they will be considered for it. I hope this additional information helps to clear things up.”