UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

My take from up-thread:

4 Likes

We are seeing the same thing in my daughter’s private school. If the school goes a few years with nobody enrolling after being accepted, it feels like they blacklist the whole school and all rejections no matter what their qualifications. Maybe it’s just coincidence, but it feels purposeful for some of the schools.

This whole yeild protection thing should be banned, and the yield rates shouldn’t be published and compared among colleges. The medical resident match through ranking might work better.

5 Likes

Definitely a great reason for sending kids to private school.

That also depends (a lot) on whether you can afford $50,000+ a year :grinning:

And if you’re living in a state like New Jersey where you might be paying $15-20,000 a year in property taxes to support your local public school, that choice becomes harder :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

I am just curious. Would people here think it would be better to just take all the freshman class in EA? A later date like March 1st? I know they want students to have time on the app if not applying EA.

Also
 Bengals or Rams? :rofl::football:

(Remember I said sports talk is allowed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Rams. ‘Coz the Bengals beat the Chiefs who I had been rooting for :grinning:

1 Like

I think a few things would be helpful but probably never happen because people need to compare financial packages.

A medical residency matching system - there’s no need for my child to receive more than one offer, if it’s her highest ranked choice where the school also ranked her above others.

Schools that offer rolling admissions should make it cost a little to keep the offer alive. DD22 has received offers to school that she will not attend. Dragging her feet on withdrawing, because her peers are not. I know, not good. If it would cost her even $10 or $20 to keep the offer alive, I suspect that she’d withdraw. Reminds me, I have to nag her today.

I liked the “original” find out before Xmas, and waves of releases coinciding with Ross.

1 Like

Interesting idea of costing more but too many students don’t have the means and even $10-15 dollars could be a stretch but interesting. Yep. Many families hold on till May 1st. Not sure what they think will happen. How can you hold onto like 15 colleges? The miracle money like never comes.

Maybe if the schools were better equipped to provide “real” financial information. The calculators are OK but everyone wants real time information that applies specifically to them and I don’t blame them at all. Like get this much sooner in the process so families could easily start informing the schools that they won’t attend

I don’t know but agree the process everywhere could be improved.

1 Like

Is a 2/18 release very probable? What’s the consensus

The choice is always hard to spend money on education. The question is, does someone want to pay for a particular service and if so, can they afford it?

We know many people who can afford to pay 50K year for kids school and don’t and those paying more than 20K for taxes and do. There are many states with high property taxes , like CA, MA etc. Many in great school districts. Still some parents want the services and are willing to pay for private. Some aren’t. Won’t. Can’t.

:grinning:

Question for Ross applicants
After getting admission offer on January 28, did you get email from Ross stating that your Ross application will now get reviewed?

Dad of S22- in state

yes, stop rewarding colleges for turning down students (low acceptance does not make a school better) and penalizing for yield; instead base rankings on outcomes. U Mich & select publics would rise while I suspect others (e.g., Northeastern & Tulane) would drop. For most schools “holistic review” is code for playing games to manage yield or another metric that impacts rankings

9 Likes

Here’s another idea. There seems to be a lot of crossover between OOS applicants to Umich, UNC, UVA and Indiana.

Have those OOS applicants rank their schools. Can only get into 1. Of course, there are still FA concerns but maybe only do it for no FA applicants - i think all these schools are need aware?

2 Likes

Yes, DD22 got an email from Ross.

1 Like

It’s obvious the current system is broken and highly favors schools especially the more competitive ones.

Currently students and family only control their initial decisions to apply and their final decisions amongst their choices, of where to enroll. Everything in between is in the school’s hands how things are done

The only “fair” thing is to strip the process down to the basics:
1- Have students apply by a universal application date (eg Nov1, Dec 1 or Jan1 or Dec 31). Students can then submit midyear grades/achievements etc by the end of Jan.
2 - All schools release their choices on a single day (imagine servers crash - eg March 15 or Apr1) including all financial offers
3 - Students have until May 1 to decide.
4- The waitlist domino then begins.

But because of all the one upsmanship diven by money and other things the early application system has evolved. If you love a a school, can afford to ignore finances ED1/ED2 benefits everyone including schools (except those students cannot afford it without knowing financial options). On the surface EA benefits students with no strings attached - if a final decision is made - but many places don’t want to give students this advantage so they defer many in this round. But often students are forced to make decisions to ED because they think its their best chance at a school either in ED/ED2 or if they were rejected or deferred in the early rounds to places they originally wanted to go (decision just doesnt seem right if they were deferred if they really wanted a particular school in the first place - unless they thought those deferrals were just a courtesy deferral and they have no chance of admission -which you never know)

To simply strip it down to a single application date, a single offer date ( including financial offers), and a single student decision date is the “fairest” thing for students. But since colleges control most of the process we know this will never happen.

• BTW the residency match program would be great but in that case it’s hard to consider the financial aspect of the equation unless its all decided before hand. The process is a bit nerve wracking knowing the med students only input is in their decision of inputting places by rank ( as do programs- you have to be willing to go to the lowest rank place on your list or you shouldnt rank the program). And magic (a computer algorithm) decides your fate. Best thing about it is everyone finds out at the same time and there is none of this 6 month stuff with kids finding out at different times experiencing rejections and deferrals or insecurities while others simply can coast the second half of senior year.

But like I say there should be a single primary day in politics rather than months of primaries negating the importance of latter primaries driven by individual states egos - there will never be a single date (submit, reveal, decision) system like I’ve mentioned. On can dream,

1 Like

Not being argumentative and appreciate everyone has a different view, but I don’t get the “fair” argument. I don’t see where anyone is being treated unfairly. If the competitive schools have an advantage that’s the way it should be in my mind. That’s the benefit of being highly regarded. Every student has the same ability to create their school list, fill out the respective applications, and put their best effort into essays.

Schools are each individual organizations that applicants are asking permission to attend. Schools should use any logistical process they choose regarding the applications process. Each school is constructing a class made up of individuals possessing the attributes and qualifications they value. I want the schools my children attend to do everything possible to increase the academic standing and prestige associated with attending because it does help in obtaining employment. I personally have been on the wrong side of that situation so I know it does matter sometimes.

Everyone will never agree to what is “fair”. At a school like Michigan tens of thousands of applicants will unfortunately be told to wait for a final decision, and the vast majority will ultimately be rejected. Just part of life.

8 Likes