UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

Waitlisted…does anyone know how many are placed on the alternate list every year??

Loveall,
I am not sure, although, I do know if your in the top 20 that are wait listed they will tell you that you are in the top 20.

Although I was rejected, I would have to say that anyone who expressed interest in the program, have access to the money to cover the 6 year cost and received an offer to attend … should not let the opportunity pass them by. That’s what I was told by several current doctors after I asked them about umkc.

Accepted
Out-of-state
Maybe :smiley:

Still sorting through 2 other colleges.

Crdnlsfan314, it’s a little offensive when you say, “It would be a shame to turn down such an offer because you read something on these threads, from someone who has no credentials,” when there are people, such as myself, who have just graduated from the BA/MD program, who actually take time to answer questions and give truthful answers and advice. I graduated just this past year in 2009. If you look at most of the combined program threads on CC, the UMKC BA/MD thread is pretty active whether it is applicants, people in the program currently, or those who have graduated recently. Not everyone knows someone personally in the program, which is why there is CC. When I entered the program, I didn’t know anyone previously who had entered the program, so I didn’t have someone else’s experience to go on.

People in the same program will have different opinions, pumpkinseed88 vs. HighHope vs. MaJaHa vs. countless others on here that don’t come to mind right now. The best thing to do is to talk and get an experience from as many people as you can, whether you talk directly to people or PM people in the program who are on CC. If you’re going to talk to people who are in the program now, talk to people in a variety of years bc how someone feels Year 1 (mainly undergrad classes) or 2 won’t be the same as Year 3 (medical school science classes), Year 4 (taking boards), 5 (clinical rotations), or 6 (applying for residency).

People will have to decide very soon whether the initial extra exposure they get from Fundamentals of Medical Practice, Med Term, and Learning Basic Medical Sciences (LBMS) which are in addition to your undergraduate classes, is worth the price tag or is something they can read and find out about on their own or pick up as a volunteering experience in building up their CV as a premed (EMT work, hospital volunteer, physician shadowing, etc.). Everything else (all the basic science courses, clinical rotations, etc.), has a pretty similar counterpart at other medical schools.

One thing AllStar2010 is correct about is that most medical schools have now incorporated some type of clinical experiences early on in medical school in the MS-1 and MS-2 years, rather than wait till the last 2.

Keep in mind that you are in-state and will be paying tuition of about ~$25,000 each year (in Years 1-2)/~29,000 each year (in Years 3-6) vs. those who are out-of-state who will pay ~48,000 each year (in Years 1-2)/~56,000 each year (in Years 3-6): [University</a> of Missouri - Kansas City](<a href=“http://www.med.umkc.edu/med_admissions/BAMD_finance.shtml]University”>http://www.med.umkc.edu/med_admissions/BAMD_finance.shtml). The price tag alone (even for in-staters - bc $25,000 is a lot for undergrad classes) is enough to carefully scrutinize the program.

The UMKC Six-Year BA/MD program will not be a good fit for everyone. Now according to AllStar2010, he/she interviewed and after “thoroughly investigating and talking with students, in different years, and listening to their personal experiences in the program, confirming a lot of what I had read on CC, SDN, and other websites about certain aspects of the program,” ended up reaching a different conclusion than you did about whether or not to attend. There is nothing wrong about that.

Everyone is going to have their own opinion (positive or negative) about the program. There are many factors that play in - instate vs. out-of-state, someone who extended and took longer than 6 years vs. someone who didn’t, amount of debt at the very end, someone who pursued a competitive specialty vs. someone who pursued a relatively easy specialty to match into. That’s why some say they would do the program again, while others say they would have done a traditional 4+4 program. Your calling the program “phenomenal” is not based on your own experience either, since you haven’t entered it yet, but is also based on secondhand info whether it be people you’ve talked to on the interview, old alumni who attended when the school was much younger, people who’ve just recently graduated, people who are currently in the program, or people who have only heard about the program and repeat what they hear. When you enter the program and graduate, you’ll have your own opinions about the strengths and weaknesses of the program.

This link has been posted many times, so I’ll post it again, bc for a lot of you guys, who are in the position of deciding this month. What to ask in the first place before you decide is the hardest part when you’re applying in a program that includes the medical school portion: [Selecting</a> a Medical School: Thirty-Five Questions I Wish I Had Asked - Applying to Medical School - AAMC](<a href=“http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/about/35questions.htm]Selecting”>http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/about/35questions.htm)

For Finances, they’ve explained it here with regards to Financial Aid and Scholarships: [UMKC</a> Financial Aid and Scholarships - Health Professionals](<a href=“http://www.sfa.umkc.edu/site2/health_professionals.cfm?info_pane=1]UMKC”>http://www.sfa.umkc.edu/site2/health_professionals.cfm?info_pane=1)

Don’t come to UMKC. It is a dark hole inside which you will suffocate and be miserable. You will not be able to climb out of it as you have already put so much money and no other colleges will accept your tranfer credits from UMKC, for example our orgo320 class is not recognized by any other university. Thus you will be stuck here without any way out. It is a miserable black hole. Don’t come here. Don’t do the same mistake that I did.

I had other great choices. I was stupid enough to pick UMKC thinking I am getting a great deal since I am instate. This is the biggest mistake of my life. I did not realize how miserable this place is. Don’t come here. UMKC is ranked very lowest for a reason and I realize the reason now. I tried to overlook that fact when I came here but that is the biggest mistake you can make. Find out for yourself why UMKC is the lowest ranked school in the whole country. Why half the students don’t actually graduate in 6 years but take 7, 8, or 9 years to graduate (if they do). Once you enter they will pressurize you to extend to more than 6 years because every year you stay you pay $28K+ tuition.

UMKC tries to suck good kids in right out of highschool because they know these kids are good enough and will not come here after college. If I went to WashU I could get into a lot more prestigeous med school or dental school and enjoy a lot more independence. If you scored 95th percentile in ACT then you will score very well in MCAT and you will get into a prestigeous med school plus WashU undergrad name carries a lot more weight. Do yourself a favor, don’t do the same mistake that I did. Don’t come to this lowest ranked place and be miserable.

If you get a out of state admission. After getting an admission, if your parents become Missouri residents. Do you still have to pay out of state tution fee?

Ken0102,
Unless there has been a complete change in policy, if you are an out-of-state student at the time of application and matriculation, you pay out-of-state “School of Medicine” category tuition for all 6 years, or longer if needed. I think they even send a paper with your acceptance envelope and you sign and return it when you accept UMKC’s offer that 1) You agree to pay that the non-resident fee for all 6 years or longer, and 2) You agree to not apply for any UMKC-sponsored non-resident scholarship.

Maybe things have changed though, so see more about Missouri residency here: [url=<a href=“http://www.umkc.edu/admissions/umkc-residency.asp]Residency[/url”>http://www.umkc.edu/admissions/umkc-residency.asp]Residency[/url</a>], call them and mention you would be a School of Medicine student.

Roentgen,

Thanks for the reply.

Accepted
Out-of-state
Maybe

Accepted
Regional (Illinois)- the tuition for regional students is not that bad, in fact in my financial situation it would cost me the same to go to SLU Medical Scholars Program, Union LIM, and UMKC 6 year BA/MD.
Attending!

After doing all of my research and considering all of my possible choices, I have decided that Kansas City is the place for me to go. I am really looking for a program that is fast paced and not as laid back others, and something that will give me clinical exposure right away. Reading this thread all the way from page 1, I know that there are some flaws with the school, but in the end I feel like I will be the happiest at Kansas City. Also, the thing about competitive residencies is quite true about Kansas City, but I know that I want to go into a primary care position and that Kansas City specializes in primary care, so to me going to Kansas City is a no brainer!
I would definitely suggest doing research before you decide, and UMKC might not be the best option for everyone, just depends on who you are.

When I was accepted to the 6 yr program I was so happy and did not realize how much excruciating pain I would have to go through after coming here. I should have paid more attention to find out the reasons why they rank UMKC medical school in the lowest tier. Not only the teaching quality and research are aweful at best and dreadfully deficient in actuality, but also the students that surround you have very low self esteem because they know they are going to the worst program in the country. My roommate got beat up by three other students for getting an A in a class. If you are a good student you will be traumatized here. Not to mention this whole area has an influx of more than 50 homeless drug addicted people that will cross your path everyday starting from the intersection of Broadway & Volker to everywhere in and around the campus. The homeless people come inside the campus in the evenings and nights and rob the students and vandalize their cars. Within the last few weeks two students got robbed on Cherry street and another three or four students’ cars got broken into. Incidents like these are a norm here. The 6yr program itself is horribly deficient in all aspects so the program was very close to being put on probation by the Association of American Medical Colleges. Don’t come to UMKC it is a miserable place. I now understand why it is the lowest ranked program and the lowest ranked school in the whole country. If you are one of the best students of your highschool class then don’t come to this worst program in the country. Best and worst just don’t go together. In this program your heart will ache in pain every single day.

^no way its that bad…wowwwwww

Beat up for getting an A? Is this like some inner city school or something?

^ yes it is an inner city school.

If you go to Troost Avenue after dark (east boundary of the campus), or Paseo anytime day or evening (one street down from Troost) then good luck coming home uninjured that evening with your wallet.

Yes, the regional tuition rate is a little better than full out-of-state tuition, esp. compared to SLU’s Med Scholars or Union/AMC in New York. As you are decided 100% on primary care medicine only, UMKC’s program will probably end up working out for your purposes. If you’re wanting fast paced, as you said, this program definitely fits the bill. You are right, UMKC is not the best option for everyone and everyone should do his/her research of the program before jumping in head first. It’s good that you read this CC thread from the beginning from page 1 to get the full picture.

wow…really high hope? really? it’s people like you that make the program have a bad rep…you need to calm down and go suck on a pacifier. obviously there’s no idiot who will believe half the things you write, so stop wasting your time…

^ Since you have not entered the program yet now you feel the same way as I did before entering the program. See if you feel the same way a year or two down the road. You will find out first hand why UMKC medical school ranks absolutely lowest in the country.

Regarding the out of state tuition:

If you’re out of state you do sign those agreements Roentgen mentioned, but once you turn 21 you can apply for instate (state that you want to stay in MO, it helps if you own property, etc). I don’t know what the success rate for this process is, though

holy crap i didn’t realize people like high hope existed.

let’s go through these here…

“if you go on troost or paseo you are screwed.” Yes, the eastern border of UMKC is basically the ghetto, and no, you shouldn’t walk alone there at night, but I have done so, all over campus, and never been the victim of any incident. Things happen, as they do on any other campus…I’ve never felt “less safe” on the UMKC campus than I did at any other school.

“if you are a good student you will be traumatized.” ***. I was an excellent student in high school, haven’t done too poorly here and there are plenty of people just as smart/smarter than me here. I’ve never received any negative attention as a result of doing well…your story about some kid getting attacked because he got an A is absolutely ridiculous. Had that actually happened, I would have seen it in the police reports that are sent out whenever something bad (robbery, etc) happens. Btw, no incidents I can recall this semester.

Given the high number of BMWs/MBs/Lexus/etc owned by med students, I would have assumed that many of my friends would have had their cars broken into, since apparently this is the norm. But wait, not a single one has! Obviously if you leave a brand new BMW running and unlocked you may have a problem, but then you’re just stupid.

“homeless people come onto the campus at night” - I have NEVER seen a single homeless person on either the Volker or Hospital Hill campuses. Not one, and I’ve been here for 4 years.

“almost put on probation by AAMC” - Now I know you have nothing to do with this place. At the last accreditation period, UMKC was granted the longest term of accreditation. I don’t think that would’ve happened if the school were close to probation, as you claim. One other thing…the LCME accredits medical schools, not the AAMC. Are you even in medical school?

Maybe you’re smoking a little too much crack, or maybe (like so many others who post negative things about this school) you were rejected/failed/are doing poorly. I’m not going to say UMKC is perfect, because it certainly isn’t. Like any school, there are faults, I won’t deny that, but to say that UMKC is without any merit is preposterous. To any other prospective student, I would suggest not paying attention to any posts by this HighHope person. There are plenty of other people posting here who are honest about the weaknesses/strengths of the program.

props to powerofprocrastination