UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

Post here with stats (including where your from) if you applied to UMKC’s program.
Also post here with any updates (interview/acceptance, etc…)

Akshar Patel (kansas)
ACT: 33
SAT: 1520
GPA: 3.98 - 4.74 weighted
Class Rank: 1/509

AP English: 5
AP Chem: 4
AP Am. Hist: 4
AP Bio: 3

Honors and Awards:
National Merit Semi-Finalist
Harvard Book Award Winner
First Place - Science Olympiad Kansas State
Numerous Science Olympiad Awards (Preliminary, Regional, and State)
First Place and National Qualifier - Policy Debate East Kansas
Numerous Policy Debate Awards
Numerous Forensics Awards
Numerous Math Relay Awards
Science Knowledge Bowl

Extracurricular Activities:
Science Olympiad (Captain)
Scholars’ Bowl (Executive Consul)
National Honor Society
National Forensics League
Students Achieving Social Harmony
Calculus Club (Captain)

Community Service:

Shawnee Mission Medical Center – Volunteer (80+hours)
Tutoring Students
Youth Pastor
Regional Cell Member of BAPS CARE International
Chicago Hindu Temple & Cultural Complex – Construction Volunteer

Work Experience:
Hotel Shift Manager
Fast Food Clerk

it costs soo much! if you are an out of stater, you will be 300k in debt by the time you get your md!

I have an interview with UMKC SOM December 16th.

rummi: stats?

Hey… I have a 31 on my ACT, instate MO…umm what I’ve heard from some of my friends in the program is that February/March is when most of the out of staters are interviewed. Your stats are excellent…(average ACT at the med school is 28) If UMKC is really where you want to go and that passion shows, you should be fine = ) gluck! IM me if you want to discuss more about umkc and my stats etc = )

1 Like

heyall! i’ve already chatted sorta with patelaskshar. your stats are awesome lol im a fellow out of stater
ACT: 28
GPA: not sure about gpa, we’re on a 100 scale 98.545
class rank: 11/480
AP Cal AB:5

lots of extracurriculars and community hours

im more interested about the differences between the umkc program and the conventional pathway into medical school. anybody?

1 Like

<a href=“http://research.med.umkc.edu/education/default.html[/url]”>http://research.med.umkc.edu/education/default.html&lt;/a&gt;

What is the appeal of the UMKC program? The med school is not very prestigious, its not really laid back as you finish all your premed reqs in two years, and it is expensive. Unless one is bent on finishing in 6 years-something that could be done by graduating college early- most students are going to a med school they wouldn’t normally consider.

Gap jeans are not made for everyone. :wink:

The med school may not be “prestigious” as in it’s definitely not Northwestern’s HPME, but people that graduate from here get residencies in competitive fields in competitive places.

What’s the deal with always searching for brand names?

I am willing to pay so much simply for the early clinical experience. They are not joking you guys. I don’t know very much about other programs, but I do know that I am in the hospital at least twice a week interviewing and interacting with the staff and patients (Getting an HPI, starting to recognize heart sounds, vital signs, chief complaint, learning how to interpret lab values etc). The Docent system just simply rocks. Third year you get your own office and see patients in the clinic. UMKC may not be well known by lets say…someone’s grandma, but people in the medical community are very interested in its graduates. Considering that some students don’t see patients until the 3rd and 4th years of traditional med school, I have heard from year 5’s who do rotations away at places like Harvard, that they feel more competent and ready to handle real life situations.

Plus I wanted to go to a school that would be a challenge not a competition or a struggle. I feel that if I would have gone the traditional route, or to a more “prestigious” program I would always be competing and concerned about other people’s grades… that’s not the kind of physician or person that I want to be. I want to grow horizontally toward everyone, not vertically. It’s lonely there… and cold. :frowning:

<em>group hug!</em> :slight_smile:

Here I feel like we are not competing. Everyone is trying to get through this thing together. If people are struggling you help them. If there is a huge test that everyone is worried about EVERYONE will be awake for support and guidance. The dean and teachers are very involved with grades and concerned with your well being. It feels like a big family with 100 of your most diverse and intelligent relatives.

Idunno… for me it just fits. You honestly get what you pay for in my opinion.
So I guess it’s comparable to your favorite jeans from your favorite store that fit you unlike any other and have big pockets to prepare you for everything…

… and that you’d be willing to buy back on ebay for no less than $60,000. :wink:
(Sorry about the jean anologies… um… bye. I’m going shopping! :))

I’ve taught Intro to Clinics for 2nd years at Tulane & at LSU. I just can’t imagine that one could get much out of seeing a pt any sooner than that.

:frowning: I think I get a lot out it… my time is definitely not wasted.
UMKC does force you to grow up and learn very fast, but that is exactly what some people look for.

1 Like

i’d just like to say that melodious04’s comment is very inspiring… all through high school i never felt that i had actually been “challenged”. believe me though, it’s not that i took the easy route. just, sometimes you really need a different type of challenge that can help expand your mind and attitude. basically melodious, you said it all and very well. while i am still awaiting the announcement from umkc for an interview… im glad to hear that the 6 year program really embodies the characteristics a physician should have

melodious: I think what I said came out the wrong way. Obviously you’re enthusiastic about learning and being at the bedside helps. I’ll bet you and your group will make great Interns.
Good luck!
Dr Sedrish

He he… no worries! :slight_smile:
Thanks for all the good advice as always. :slight_smile:

i saw up the page that rummi has already been notified of her qualification for an interview! has anyone else gotten any interview offers for ba-bs/md?

1 Like

What I heard from my friend who interviewed at UMKC y-day is that UMKC will interview most of the ppl in January and February (290 ppl this year). They’ll take 120 kids this year.

my bad, i mean 290 interviewed and 120 accepted…sorry about that!

…huge program…

i still think that this program is messed up. by the time you graduate, you will be in like 300k debt, which really suxs! otherwise, i would have applied to this program…

you won’t be in debt that much if you are in state (or have a lot of scholarships like me)
… honestly… most people are just filty rich and their parents are paying for all of it :slight_smile: no joke…

must be nice.

And the class size is so big because a lot of people drop out by the way :confused:
… it’s rough.

…with that… I will continue w/ my studying marathon :smiley: