UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

Hi everyone! I would like to congratulate everyone who has been accepted into the program!

I am an out of state student and I have been placed on the waitlist. I read a student’s post, from last year, saying that he knew he was in the top 5 candidates on the OOS wait list. Does anyone know how he got this information? In the email, we were told that our specific rank will not be disclosed to us. Despite this, do you think he called the office and got the information from them? Or was anyone told that they were in the top 5 candidates on the wait list in the email they received? I contacted him, but it is unlikely he will respond since he has not logged on in the past two years.

If anyone could shed some light on this, I would be extremely grateful. Once again, congratulations to everyone! I hope you all find a school that is the best match for you :slight_smile:

@prospectivemd, I’m assuming you were referring to this post: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/12775651#Comment_12775651

It’s possible that back then, in 2011, they revealed where you were on the waitlist if you called in. They may have changed policy recently to where once everyone’s made a decision by May 1st, they then start calling and going down the list to fill in those spots.

I would call them on Monday and nicely ask if you are able to find out where you are on the rank list so you can realistically plan and have an idea of whether you can expect to come off the waitlist. No big deal if they say no, bc it doesn’t harm your chances - decisions in terms of accept/reject/waitlist have already been made by the Selection Council.

There likely will be some or a lot of fluctuation (really varies by year) especially in the regional pool and out-of-state pool, just because the total tuition amount is so ridiculously expensive, regional being about 252 K now and out-of-state being 330 K – and that’s just for tuition :frowning: ! @HopingMD is correct in that they do tend to give more acceptances than seats, because they are used to so many people dropping. People with multiple acceptances will find a better BS/MD deal elsewhere (higher reputation med school, closer to home, cheaper), or if they don’t have multiple acceptances, they’ll decide it’s way too expensive/risky altogether and they’d be much more comfortable going the normal route and saving quite a bit of money, especially if they have partial/full undergraduate scholarships.

Hey guys, so this is an update from the 2014-2015 Estimated Education Fees from the website: http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/finance/

I got this from the Cashier’s website that has the 2015-2016 figures for Summer/Fall/Spring/ semesters: http://www.umkc.edu/finadmin/cashiers/school-of-medicine-tuition-fee-rates.asp

Year 1 is only Fall and Spring. Years 2-6 are Summer/Fall/Spring.

Years 1-2:

Summer 2015

In-state: $5,114.05
Out-of-state: $9,875.01
Regional: $7,494.53

Fall 2015/Spring 2016

In-state: $10,227.88
Out-of-state: $19,749.96
Regional: $14,988.92

Years 3-6:

Summer 2015

*In-state: $7,804.81
*Out-of-state: $15,202.01
*Regional: $11,504.21

Fall 2015/Spring 2016

In-state: $11,828.90
Out-of-state: $22,924.50
Regional: $17,377.60

School of Medicine Estimated Education Fees for 2014-2015

Year 1 (Fall / Spring)
Resident Tuition & Fees: $20,294
Regional Tuition & Fees: $29,740
Non-Resident Tuition & Fees: $39,186

Year 2 (Fall / Spring / Summer)
Resident Tuition & Fees: $25,333
Regional Tuition & Fees: $37,141
Non-Resident Tuition & Fees: $48,950

Years 3-6 (Fall / Spring / Summer)
Resident Tuition & Fees: $31,147
Regional Tuition & Fees: $45,798
Non-Resident Tuition & Fees: $60,443

TOTAL Resident Tuition & Fees: $170,215
TOTAL Regional Tuition & Fees: $250,073
TOTAL Non-Resident Tuition & Fees: $329,908

Based on 2015-2016 numbers from UMKC Cashier’s Website:

Year 1 (Fall / Spring)
Resident Tuition & Fees: $20,455.76
Regional Tuition & Fees: $29,977.84
Non-Resident Tuition & Fees: $39,499.92

Year 2 (Fall / Spring / Summer)
Resident Tuition & Fees: $25,569.81
Regional Tuition & Fees: $37,472.37
Non-Resident Tuition & Fees: $49,374.93

Years 3-6 (Fall / Spring / Summer)
Resident Tuition & Fees: $31,462.61
Regional Tuition & Fees: $46,259.41
Non-Resident Tuition & Fees: $61,051.01

TOTAL Resident Tuition & Fees:[size=4]$171,876.01[/size]
TOTAL Regional Tuition & Fees: [size=4]$252,487.85[/size]
TOTAL Non-Resident Tuition & Fees: [size=4]$333,078.89[/size]

Wow, even UMKC medical school in-state tuition is getting pretty high up there. Thanks for doing the calculations @PinkPrincess2014, so that everyone has the correct numbers.

For other costs like board fees, books, equipment/supplies, room & board, personal expenses you can go here as those things don’t change much – these numbers are from 2013-2014, so if you have a spreadsheet, just change the tuition numbers keeping everything else the same.

https://www.sfa.umkc.edu/site2/forms/coa/Resident.pdf

https://www.sfa.umkc.edu/site2/forms/coa/Regional.pdf

https://www.sfa.umkc.edu/site2/forms/coa/NonResident.pdf

I seriously can not believe that out-of-state medical school tuition for UMKC is now running around $61,000 dollars. I graduated in 2003 and out-of-state tuition & fees was at about 51 or 52 thousand dollars, and all of us felt how ridiculously overpriced that was. Around that time even the best private medical schools in the country were running toward the middle to high end in the 30,000s: https://services.aamc.org/tsfreports/report.cfm?select_control=PRI&year_of_study=2003

Hey, guys please read this again:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/18292327/#Comment_18292327

The UMKC Med 2021 Dropbox account, that I created, has our textbooks starting from Year 1. Each person that signs up for Dropbox (you start with 2 GB) through my referral gets an additional 500 MB added to their newly created Dropbox account (it’s free!) and the UMKC Med 2021 Dropbox account gets 500 MB added to it as well. I’ve already had a few people sign up, but needed to get quite a few more people to get the full 16 GB extra (for a total of 18 GB). The more space I get, the more books I can add which will be helpful for all of us during the 6 years.

Please send me your email either to my Message box or to the gmail account, which is my exact username at gmail. Once you’ve created your Dropbox account through my referral, it will let me know, and I can then send you the link to the UMKC Med 2021 Dropbox account.

@Blugrn6, can you please describe the Fundamentals of Medical Practice I, II, III, IV courses and how important/useful it is to students overall in reality? Does it give any real advantage in the residency match?

Here is what they say on the website:

Is this really an experience that goes beyond just mere hospital shadowing of doctors/residents? Or does it vary greatly by the docent you are assigned to? Is it the same docent the entire 2 years, or is it different every semester? I didn’t know how critical it was in reality (or if it is just a waste of time), because you have MD-only students that come in and skipping nearly all of this curriculum (they do participate in Fundamentals of Medical Practice IV though). I would think if it was really that important, you wouldn’t be allowed to bypass this.

If you could also describe the Learning Basic Medical Science class and the Medical Terminology class as well, based on your experience of how useful it was to you and the quality of those classes.

I was recently accepted OOS as well! This may have been answered earlier in the thread, but could someone tell me how strong are UMKC’s residency matches for competitive specialties like derm, plastics, radiology, etc.? Thank you!!!

@in2llect, this was answered earlier in the thread, but overall UMKC’s residency matches in competitive specialties like Derm and Integrated Plastics isn’t very strong based on track record. Not much of a shock, as UMKC does not have a Dermatology residency program or a Plastics residency program. You can see past match lists that have been posted by @UMKCRoosMD.

Radiology is no longer competitive as it used to be due to the current bad job market, and thus coinciding with that, about 6 people matched into Radiology this year, which is actually quite high and higher than past match lists. Last year, only 3 people from UMKC got into Radiology. Usually the numbers making it into Radiology from UMKC tends to be small.

@PinkPrincess2014, realize that your figures (2015-2016) are just for one year. Each consecutive year will go up higher than the previous year.

So for example, when I started in 1997 – Years 3-6 out-of-state tuition at that time was $41,376 per year (the second highest public medical school out-of-state tuition in the country, and higher than the most expensive private medical school at the time which was Boston University at $33,400).

By the time I graduated in 2003, Years 3-6 out-of-state tuition was at $52,083 per year (still the second highest public medical school out-of-state tuition in the country, and higher than the most expensive private medical school at the time which was Tufts University at $42,098).

@Roentgen‌ and @UMKCRoosMD‌, do you feel that UMKC impacted your career negatively overall? I just got an acceptance and am deciding whether to accept.

@cccc9798, what do you mean by negatively (or maybe you mean in terms of getting certain residencies)? Are you in-state, regional, or out-of-state?

In regards to your career after residency. Did you get to where you wanted in life? I am in-state.

@ccc9798,

I think I got to where I wanted in life. However, I came into medical school wanting to go into Pediatrics, and UMKC has a wonderful children’s hospital to experience Pediatrics in medical school – Children’s Mercy Hospital (if you see inside, it’s really nice - as are all children’s hospitals) and it never wavered (luckily). This is usually not the case with most medical students in terms of specialty selection. Very few people go into medical school and leave with the same specialty they initially wanted to go into. I ended up sub-specializing after Pediatrics residency, so I don’t practice true primary care in the traditional sense. As you get older, you realize a lot of getting where you want to in life is also in adjusting your expectations - if that makes sense - if not I can explain this further.

As you get further and further into your training, your education right before the next training step you’re aiming for is more important. But it can be sort of a domino effect: medical school --> residency --> fellowship. By the time you finish your training altogether, your medical school won’t have a huge affect on your employment, unless you’re aiming to work at very prestigious academic institutions that like pedigrees, but even then that’s not a hard and fast rule. I know a class friend, one year younger to me, who is now a Pediatrics Emergency Medicine attending at Boston Children’s Hospital. She did her fellowship at Boston Children’s after having during a Pediatrics residency at Wash U w/St. Louis Children’s Hospital.

In reality, I think it would have been different if my interest had changed to something much more competitive: Plastics, Urology, Derm, Ophtho, or Rads (Rads was actually pretty competitive at the time I matched back then).

Luckily, since you’re paying in-state tuition, it isn’t as huge of a financial risk for you (20 K tuition in Year 1 is nothing), and you have about a year to experience the program, see what research opportunities and infrastructure are truly available to you as a UMKC med student, you can talk to older UMKC med students about strengths/weaknesses in curriculum, boards, or matching into certain specialties by going to interest group meetings, etc.

Do you have any other Bachelor/MD options available?

@PinkPrincess2014‌

So Learning Basic Medical Sciences or as well used to call it LBMS is pretty pointless. It honestly was really easy. It was an hour a week. It was basically a sort of “misc” class where different people from different careers came and gave talks, we did like case studies that were way over our heads for the time (like a patient comes in what do you want to do sort of a thing), and that’s pretty much it. Doesn’t really add anything to your life.

Med term would be useful I guess if I had studied it. Its basically learning all the latin roots of medical words so if you don’t know a word you can easily figure out what it is.
And then you have to pick out like 10 words per week or something and then record yourself online describing all 10 words to the teacher. Like just say the definition. It’s stupid cuz its words like dyspnea and cholecystectomy. You’ll know what they mean once you get to medical school and start classes, it doesn’t really add anything to your life either.

Year 1-2 docent is actually very different based on who you have. They are “supposed” to make you go into patient rooms and ask them why they came in and get a basic medical history from them each week and then report back to you docent. Some teach you how to put on casts, how to suture, how to scrub for a surgical case, etc, but you are so far away from using it that it really doesn’t mean much. Some also have a year 3-6 docent unit, so if they are on DoRo will have you shadow the docent team and go to rounds for that morning. That would have been kinda cool I guess, but then it just becomes a massive group of people blocking the hospital hallway like a clot and it always annoys the eff out of everyone else.
You have the same docent for all two years. Year 1 you have your internal medicine docent for once a week and you also have you psychiatry docent for once a week. When you hit year 2, that psych part goes away. So you’ll only have docent once a week.

Fundamentals is just annoying. First of all, I don’t know how it is will be for you guys but for us, it was from like 3-5 pm on a Friday. Who the heck does that? It was pure torture and it is mandatory attendance.
Secondly, you get lectures on stuff that is way over your head, like management of hypertension in pregnancy, pediatric screening exams and milestones and when you get what test, basics of a physical exam of the newborn. Each fundamentals has a different theme. I think first one was geriatrics, second one is pediatrics, third one is gynecology, and fourth one is general internal medicine. You have a final exam at the end, which is basically rogue memorization of the power point lectures that are given to you in class. Its rogue memorization because you have not had the basic science knowledge or the patient experience yet to put everything that you are learning into context. This is where a lot of people end up “extending”. Because they don’t study for the final. Its not really hard per say, we all studied like two days before and usually 1-2 people fail. Most that failed either didn’t study or didn’t sleep or some reason like that.

I would say, yea they are teaching you medicine, cuz a lot of that stuff is stuff that we got lectures on in our core rotations year 5. But again, that’s like so far way it doesn’t really matter at that time.

The weird thing is that everything that you learn and then forget will all be repeated to you later in your education. With the appropriate rotation, course, etc. Its just meant to introduce it to you. I see what they are trying to do here, but it really doesn’t impact your life that much.
It used to be that all of us would just bring our laptops and then sit there and text each other, shop online, and get on Facebook, but they banned laptops after fundamentals two for us, so we actually had to listen. But in that case, we all just brought our notes to class and sat in the back and studied for our next exam.

I will say two things:

1. It’s hard for me to judge whether or not it helped me to have previously seen all of that information before when I learned it again later in medical school. Maybe it did make it easier to absorb stuff the second time around, but I don’t really know.
  2. I’m not the typical like listen to the lecture, take notes, be interested in what they are saying kinda person. So i’m probably not the best example of the behavior you should emulate. More than 50% of the students in our class sat there and actually paid attention. Whether or not they liked it is a different story. (Hint: they didn’t).

It doesn’t really take up that much time, its like 3 hours a week total in classes that are sort of medical but don’t really matter at that time. After Year 1 first semester (after LBMS and med term is over) its really only fundamentals.

In terms of real advantage in residency match: NONE. Zilch. Nada.

@blugrn6, oh, so it is possible to fail Fundamentals for that semester (bc of the final) and extend over it? Or were you more referring to extending over basic science classes that are taught in the same time period?

@ccc9798, I’ll take a slightly different view from what @UMKCRoosMD said. I don’t think UMKC impacted my career negatively, but to be fair, I’ll never know how much exactly, since I can only attend and experience 1 med school. In other words, I don’t have proof that it would have turned out better. I don’t get to see what my education trajectory would have been like if I had attended a higher ranked medical school with better research in my specialty to participate in, etc. and then make the direct comparison to UMKC.

That’s kind of the problem with education (especially professional school), you only get 1 real shot to go thru it. You don’t get to backtrack and make the direct comparison. Many times you have to go based off of past track record of the medical school’s graduates and hope you fall within that average.

Would I have gotten more/better interviews at more prestigious Anesthesiology programs and matched there, if I went to a higher ranked or a more reputable medical school? No doubt, yes. Would then this have had an impact on my fellowship interviews? Yes. So I think in that sense it would have impacted my career. I agree with @UMKCRoosMD on this point that it truly is dependent on what your expectations are for UMKC’s medical school in terms of where you want to go.

Do you all feel you were restricted from the better jobs or more prestigious fellowships because of UMKC?