Undergraduate IQ

<p>I realize this is a biased message board to ask this question on... but I have been wondering since transferring here to A&M.</p>

<p>Do you think its common for Average Joe with a 100 IQ to get a degree from A&M, or are the students here above 1 standard deviation from the norm?</p>

<p>It seems this is a taboo subject, but I wonder how IQ's of undergraduates at A&M compare to those of Rice students or students at UT Austin</p>

<p>Statistically, A&M has a high acceptance rate, which begs the question on if its an average school....</p>

<p>I think it comes down to the program, there are 50,000 students at A&M now. Some departments are full of brilliant kids and some aren’t. Regardless, just about every major has decent recruiting so if you are smarter than your peers, it’s just that much easier for you to succeed.</p>

<p>I’m not going to lie, that is a very odd question to begin with. I don’t believe we have conducted any schoolwide IQ test, so at least from my perspective, there isn’t really an answer for A&M, and probably not UT or Rice as well.</p>

<p>Just because it has a higher acceptance rate does not mean it has a lower overall IQ; it could just be that more people apply to the other schools that fail and a majority of people who are qualified to make it in at A&M, do make it in.</p>

<p>In reality, a higher acceptance rate would correlate with a less selective admission process. My point is that even though overall Rice might be more selective, which would lead to a higher undergrad IQ, I think there are several programs at A&M that are much more selective than the similar programs at Rice. </p>

<p>This entire thread is dumb though. btn, is right. I don’t know of any official stats on IQ, GPA or anything. Plus, even though I know some Texas schools are stronger than A&M in a few areas, A&M is hands down not an average school. It’s a major research university that’s annually ranked Top 2 in Texas, Top 60ish in the country and even Top 175ish in the world…all accrording to US News. There are over 2000 4 year schools in the US alone. So, I would say any Division 1 school has a student body with higher IQs than any typical US college. </p>

<p>Too much work for a CC thread. lol</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>You have no statistical argument. In fact, you haven’t even factored in auto-admits into your theory or how there is no statistical correlation between IQ and GPA/class rank (a major driving factor in A&M admissions). </p>

<p>Google is your friend.</p>

<p>Dude, A&M and UT are public schools. You’re gonna find both smart people and dumbasses at both schools. As for Rice, it’s a great school and hard to get into, so yea, the students are probably smarter. But then again, define smart?</p>

<p>Regardless of rankings, A&M and UT are both great schools, even in comparison to an elite private school like Rice. I think if you’re in blow-off, easy classes, then you’re more likely to find someone not smart, rather than in hard courses, such as Engineering, OCHEM, etc.</p>

<p>I read somewhere that it takes an IQ of 115 to graduate from college and the average IQ at a university is 129. </p>

<p>Do primary and secondary schools administer IQ tests anymore? Aren’t IQ tests only administered to students who are either selected for special education programs or if a young person is very gifted?</p>

<p>Have you read the work of Daniel Goleman about emotional intelligence? [Amazon.com:</a> Emotional Intelligence (9781408806166): Daniel Goleman: Books](<a href=“http://www.amazon.com/Emotional-Intelligence-Daniel-Goleman/dp/1408806169/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315705222&sr=1-1]Amazon.com:”>http://www.amazon.com/Emotional-Intelligence-Daniel-Goleman/dp/1408806169/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315705222&sr=1-1)</p>

<p>Students who can forgo gratification are more successful. Give me a young person with an equal measure of emotional intelligence and intellect!</p>