Undergraduate research at UW

<p>Is it fairly easy or difficult to do undergraduate research in molecular biology or genetics at UW Madison?</p>

<p>Anyone know how easy or difficult it is to pursue undergraduate research in the biology department at UW Madison? Anyone out there with any information?</p>

<p>It can be quite difficult, first to find a spot in a lab and then to manage the amount of time it takes. A commitment of 10 hours a week is fairly normal. Most PIs are understanding about being flexible with the amount of time you spend in the lab though particularly when you have midterms and finals coming.
I would look into the Undergraduate Research Scholar program as they seem to be able to help in finding a spot in a lab.</p>

<p>My friend’s daughter just graduated in biochem andhad no trouble getting it for three years. They helped her greatly.</p>

<p>Obviously once you find a spot it is not hard to stick around, the only difficulty is finding a lab who are looking for people. Some labs need a constant stream of undergrads to work the micropipettes, others only need a few undergrads at a time because there is a great deal of training that needs to be put in. Depending on what your actual interests are it can be tough to get these two things to line up.</p>

<p>Appreciate the candor from an insider.</p>

<p>Here’s the official blurb. If you are not in a specific research program some legwork is the best method. </p>

<p>[Molecular</a> Biology Major](<a href=“http://www.biology.wisc.edu/Academic_Programs/Molecular_Biology/Resources/Research_Advisors.asp]Molecular”>http://www.biology.wisc.edu/Academic_Programs/Molecular_Biology/Resources/Research_Advisors.asp)</p>

<p>5.How do I find faculty to do research with?</p>

<p>Visit department home pages and read faculty bios. Once you identify those laboratories that are conducting research in an area that interests you, contact the appropriate professors directly by telephone or email and ask them if you could meet with them in person to determine whether they would consider taking you into their laboratory. If possible, talk with several professors so you can make comparisons and achieve the best match to your interests. Circumstances in each laboratory constantly change and some professors might not be in a position to take you. If a faculty member declines, you should keep looking. This campus has a large number of laboratories and if you are persistent, you should be able to find an appropriate fit.</p>

<p>Great topic! Rember over 20 years ago studyng at UNC Chapel Hill, my research advisor took in an undergrad for research in the group. He is now the Chancellor of UNC. Getting them start early. You never know where they end up…</p>