University GPA range vs College GPA range

Universities publish the high school GPA range for admitted students. This, I assume, is for the whole Freshman applicants. How much does the GPA range vary by college - for example Engineering vs Science vs Arts? Do any Universities break it down to the specific college?
Specifically will be interested in UCs (Freshman admit data | UC Admissions) @Gumbymom
PS: I am aware of the UC GAP calculation methodology.

Some of the campuses have institutional data offices where they share some of the relevant data, but I don’t believe there’s a university-wide resource that breaks down GPA-by-college for high school admits across different universities. If they did, I suspect it’d be in the UC Information Center (which does have interesting data!).

For high school admits …
From my poking around, Berkeley has the closest to what you’re looking for, on this page from their Office of Planning and Assessment. Once you load the page, click on the “Academic Indicators” tab and you can get a breakdown of GPAs for applied/admitted/enrolled students broken down by college (Haas seems to be missing data, though? so caveats apply).

I didn’t do an exhaustive search, though, so if there’s another campus you’re interested in, you might see if they have a similar page. Most of the ones I found weren’t very satisfying, though, from a “dig into the data” POV.

For transfers …
The UC Information Center does have a handy Transfers by Major page where they list what you’re asking about by campus. Filter by campus and you get a by-major breakdown of both the admitted GPA and enrolled GPA. BUT! The transfer population and process is different from the first-time-student population and process, though (e.g. transfer GPAs are unweighted university GPAs where first-time GPAs are weighted; the overall numbers are totally different as well), so, again, apply major caveats about extrapolating too much from that data set.

1 Like

Some universities do, probably most do not. CPSLO, UIUC, and CMU do (or used to) for frosh.

SJSU, CSUN, and CSUFresno show prior year admission thresholds by major. UC shows prior college GPA ranges by major for transfer admission.

UCB business mostly did not admit frosh directly.

I have some data from the UC counselor conference for UCSB but not a published link only my notes. In general, I have not found specific UC GPA admit range data by college or major for Freshman other than what has been previously referenced for UC transfers or the UCB 3 year cumulative admit data by college.

UCSB 2022:
L&S 27% Admit GPA 4.40
Engineering 22% Admit GPA 4.52
CCS 21% Admit GPA 4.37

GPA L&S CoE CoC CNR CED
3.800-4.000 5.5% 2.2% 4.1% 10.3% 7.0%
4.001-4.199 8.9% 3.7% 7.1% 19.9% 11.2%
4.200-4.399 18.5% 8.1% 15.8% 33.5% 23.7%
4.400-4.599 28.6% 14.1% 28.7% 46.8% 30.6%
4.600-4.799 33.3% 18.9% 37.2% 46.1% 36.5%
4.800-5.000 32.5% 18.7% 34.4% 42.6% 41.0%

CA resident Freshman summary: https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/_files/documents/caifornia-resident-freshman-application-data-2023.pdf

1 Like

The Transfers by Major data is cool. Wish they had it for freshmen as well. The UCB data for freshman is great as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.