University of Alabama Admissions for Fall 2023

My S17 is a junior and is seriously considering Bama engineering. It seems that applications for Bama open fairly early in the summer. Does the UA application (not the Common App) require an essay, official transcript or letters of recommendation? I just want to make sure we have all our ducks in a row before summer. Also, when does Bama notify students of their financial aid and merit scholarships? Any other info on the admissions process would be greatly appreciated.

Bama is pretty much open to any kid who wants to get a higher education and doesnt require any essays, lORs or transcripts to apply. For merit scholarships they do look at ACTs/SATs, and of course they want your official transcripts when you start. Merit comes after applying, but it’s very transparent on what a kid will get. my kid applied 3 weeks ago; admitted quickly; but still waiting to hear officially about merit. There are 6000 kids in the engineering school from all over the US. We are touring next week! Honors programs do require some essays i believe.

1 Like

Thank you! This is very helpful!

As mentioned above, the app through the website is pretty basic and easy. You’ll need official transcript from high school as well as test scores (if applying with them). If I recall right, there was a short “tell us anything you might want us to know” section, but no required essay. And no LOR.

If you apply early, the first round of decisions comes out around Labor Day. My daughter got her scholarship info by mail about a week later. It was exactly what we expected based on the charts on their website.

(On a side note
for engineering, you might also want to check out Auburn. They are not as generous with merit, but their engineering school is excellent)

2 Likes

Agree if you are going to apply to Alabama for engineering, you should also probably apply to Auburn. Top 30 undergrad engineering school. If you have everything in by September 15 you will hear a month later. I read today that the cut off for Auburn engineering consideration for EA I was 28 ACT/3.8 GPA this year. This most recent EA I average was 30 ACT/4.1 GPA. This is per a post recently about a call to the Auburn admissions office, so seems like good information.

Neither school requires an essay. Both apps take 5 - 10 mins.

Published merit for out of state is roughly half of what is given from the University of Alabama. Auburn also this year cut off the bottom levels of merit, so Alabama gives merit for lower scores.

4 Likes

That’s interesting. I really didn’t even know that the major declared on the application affected admissions so much at AU. It looks like the recent EA1 engineering acceptance was right at 50%. They do have an excellent program!

Thanks! Auburn is definitely on the list as well.

1 Like

Hi. I have an accepted incoming Freshman Daughter. We paid our student enrollment fee and housing registration. Someone posted that they also put down their dorm preference, but I didn’t see that as an option? Is that only for honors students and/or students wanting to live in Living Learning communities with other students in the same major?

My DD is applying this week. 36 ACT. But not sure how they would figure her GPA. She had a 4.3- something at one school- 2 years, over a 4.0 at another- covid year online charter and 2 years at a BS that doesn’t weight (started as a repeat Junior) and does percentage not typical gpa scale has a 93-94 right now. Wondering if that would Be a 4.0 for highest merit?

How long after acceptance did it take to get merit notification? Was your child notified by email, regular mail or both? TIA.

About a week after acceptance came in the mail, merit offer came in the mail. Maybe to portal email, but not 100% sure about that.

1 Like

My son has applied as an NHRP scholar. I have two questions. If he waits until spring to apply for housing then is it hard to get first choice? He really wants an apartment style single room. Second, is anyone looking at the EPIC honors program? Pros and cons? Do you get additional scholarships in honors?

My son got his acceptance email on Oct 5th, got the snail mail acceptance a day or two later, and just got his auto-merit award letter yesterday, Oct 20th. It was exactly as published on their website. It did say other competitive scholarships would be awarded in March.

He is taking the SAT one more time because 10 more points will boost him up to the highest merit level. Also I heard that he qualifies for a $2500 engineering scholarship, but no idea how or when he finds out about that.

Definitely looking at the EPIC program too, would love to hear more about it.

How does he qualify for that? I have an accepted engineer who qualifies for the presidential scholarship.

Thanks my daughter was accepted 10/5 and got the merit award today in the mail.

It’s automatic. I don’t remember timing on when it showed up but it was automatic.

1 Like

thank you!

My student submitted yesterday. Has a 36 ACT, has transcripts from 3 high schools, two with over a 4.0. Current school does a percentage scale and she has a 93 or 94 (no weighting) So not sure if that qualifies for the 36/4.0 full scholarship?

No idea but you will hear within the next week or two probably the level of merit that has been automatically assigned.

2 Likes