University of Alabama Admissions for Fall 2023

With UA applications now open for Fall 2023 admission, please post any updates or questions here.

Roll Tide! :elephant:

@Lindagaf

5 Likes

Applied very early and still waiting for transcripts/ACT score to be processed. I’m so excited! Just waiting to see their updated National Merit scholarship for this year. I’m planning on applying to Randall and Blount. Not too sure about my major as I applied under English, but I’m also interested in math, physics, anthropology, philosophy, and anything science.

1 Like

Sounds exciting! My daughter also applied early - transcript is in, but still waiting for her ACT scores to be added to her application.

Have you heard when they start the first round of notifications? What other schools do you plan to apply to?

1 Like

Their portal says the first round of notifications comes out after Labor Day, but someone online said their portal already updated from “Pending Decision” to “New First Time Freshman” (no idea if they submitted test scores or not). I imagine you’ll know on the portal quickly once her ACT comes in, but an official decision won’t be sent until after Labor Day.

And I’m not planning on applying to many other colleges. Just Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Alabama, and maybe South Florida. If I do get National Merit Finalist, I am planning on going to Alabama, as it seems like the best school for me in terms of scholarships + opportunity.

1 Like

My NMFs are considering Alabama, but getting concerned about the way they treat them once they’re in :(. Is there an NMF person to talk with like at the Florida schools?

Last year, I heard quite a few NMFs were forced to vacate their assigned dorms in late summer and live off campus. Some of them volunteered but others were forced. That caused a ruckus and I thought it was a one and done mistake of Bama over-enrolling. Now this year, they have NMFs moving off again supposedly voluntarily, but then maybe taking it out on those that won’t move? I just read a senior NMF that hadn’t wanted to move off again this year, and had a single room, was assigned a freshman to room with her. I know Bama wants freshman on campus, but two years in a row now their overbooking is at the expense of NMF students. Are they looking at them as poor scholarship kids that aren’t as important?

1 Like

My NMF has had a great experience at Alabama. Nobody starts off wanting to be moved off campus but the apartment my son is moving into has a pool, weight rooms, BBQ grills, study rooms, dedicated bus every 10 - 15 minutes to campus. These kids are getting spoiled for the real world. It is way nicer than on-campus housing. Face it - these kids are getting housing for free for 4 years. In the past NMFs only got one year of housing. The senior NMF had the biggest room in the on camous housing ( at no charge to her) and now has to share it with a Freshman. It’s not ideal but it could be a lot worse. I believe that housing will re-assign the Freshman once space opens up somewhere else.

1 Like

my S20 is there - liking it - his two NMF scholars friends he’s met wanted to move off campus after freshman yr; but were forced to live on campus by their parents their sophomore yr; they were moved at the last moment to an apt and liked that!

Like so many schools - they are crowded. EG: Have a friend at TCU who is paying full freight; her son was moved into a temp dorm with lots of kids in one room all first semester. He sort of liked that - but boy did she raise a ruckus at first! I guess my point is . . . just take it all with a grain of salt; things change and are sometimes fluid like we found out 2020. I do think they are doing the best they can. and lets be honest; while NMF are important to them, so are the full-pay kids!

1 Like

S22 will be entering Alabama next month as a NMF. He will be entering as a sophomore based on IB credit. So, I am a bit familiar with the scholarship. We will actually be getting a credit back this semester once everything washes out.

The scholarship currently guarantees four years of housing. Not on campus housing. Alabama, like every university, has housing problems. But, how many other scholarships offer five years tuition, four years housing, and stipends? I am not aware of any others.

I am aware of the double bunking issue for some NMF students. But, the full story is that they were the last to register for housing with the university. Further, it is believed to be a temporary issue as freshmen dropout and freshman dorms open up. So, apparently Alabama has a fall melt, too.

As a family, we are fully aware S22 will likely live off campus
fully paid for by Alabama. We also know that some summer housing for special programs (such as STEM Path to MBA) is not covered. Oh well. But, so much is.

In our experience, Alabama rolls out the Crimson carpet.

1 Like

My daughter has also already applied and as of yesterday everything has been received.

Also noticed Alabama has updated the scholarship pages to 2023. Big sigh of relief to see the NMF scholarship has stayed the same.

I think we might be one and done for applications. She has a solid 223 score (Texas) so she should be a likely NMSF and she already has a 1510 confirming score and 4.0UW gpa so I can’t see any reason she won’t make NMF. If that all pans out she will be Bama Bound. She is having a hard time justifying applying anywhere else.

2 Likes

They are definitely very generous with scholarships!
My daughter’s application also shows that everything has been received
so I guess now we wait!

Good luck to your daughter. And please post with any updates!

They are generous! She’s toured and loves the campus. She’s met with the computer science department and was satisfied. With the NMF scholarship and their generous AP credits she will have more than enough room for undergrad and her masters. She’s even worked out where she could possibly do the Stem to MBA as well. Having a wide variety of opportunities to choose from is certainly a good problem to have.

Good luck to yours as well! Looking forward to moving along on this process.

1 Like

Has anyone done a “virtual campus tour”? My daughter and I were hoping to get a trip to Tuscaloosa in before school starts, but with senior pics, band camp, and schedule pick up, it doesn’t look like that will be happening.

I was wondering how the UA virtual tour is. I’m sure it’s not as good as an in-person visit, but to be honest, my daughter isn’t super excited about UA, so I am just trying to see if hearing more about it would pique her interest. She qualifies for the presidential scholarship and SO many AP/IB credits there, I just want to be sure we explore all options.

Thanks!

I don’t know anything about the virtual tour. I will say my daughter was not initially excited about UA. I would even go as far as to say she was begrudgingly going just to get me off her back. I don’t expect anything can compare to touring in person. My daughter changed her tune very early on in our in-person tour. Her words were she could see herself there. We did schedule through the admissions counselor so our day was tailored to her interests. I highly recommend doing that. Best of luck wherever she ends up.

2 Likes

Just curious, how soon do usually kids hear from BAMA after submitting the application with transcript and test scores? August, early September?

1 Like

didnt do a virtual tour. toured in person 10 days before the covid shut down in 2020. I’d have her apply now and do an in-person tour if you can later down the road. Why not? we are midwest; a friend’s daughter just toured LSU, Ole Miss; UF, UA, UTN . . . UA was the favorite by far!

2 Likes

On the application portal it says decisions will be released after Labor Day. And on the scholarship page it says awards will come out 2 weeks after acceptance.

2 Likes

App is completed and she’s just waiting to hear back! Hopefully we can get an in-person tour in soon.

2 Likes

After Labor Day is when the first round of application acceptance letters are released. Then after early September it will be about 2 weeks after application submitted.

4 Likes

For reference, my daughter applied Sept 2 last year. She got her acceptance notification on Sept 12.

4 Likes