University of Alabama Class of 2026 Admissions

It’s not equal to full COA.

How is it not? What am I missing? It’s full tuition plus housing. I mean…

National Merit Finalist Package

Students recognized as a National Merit Finalist by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation who are admitted, provide a copy of their official National Merit Finalist letter via email to scholarships@ua.edu and list The University of Alabama as their college of choice with the National Merit Scholarship Corporation before May 1, 2022 will receive:

• Value of tuition for up to five years or 10 semesters for degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate or law studies
  • Four years of undergraduate on-campus housing at regular room rate* (based on assignment by Housing and Residential Communities)
  • $3,500 per year undergraduate supplemental scholarship (Merit stipend) for four years**
  • One-time undergraduate allowance of $2,000 for use in summer research or international study (after completing one year of study at UA)
  • $500 per year undergraduate book scholarship for four years
1 Like

Full cost of attendance refers to much more than tuition and housing:

Direct Cost In-State Out-of-State
Tuition $10,780 $30,250
Fees Estimate 800 800
Room 9,000 9,000
Board 4,934 4,934
Total Direct Cost $25,514 $44,984
Indirect Cost In-State Out-of-State
Books $800 $800
Transportation 2,206 3,080
Miscellaneous 2,464 2,464
Loan Fee Estimate 70 70
Total Indirect Cost $5,540 $6,414
TOTAL (Direct + Indirect) $31,054 $51,398

Even if you just want to refer to direct costs, we will most likely be paying close to $4000 a year out of pocket directly to the university for my daughter if she chooses to attend Bama in the fall as a national merit finalist. There will be additional cost for books, the meal plan is not included in the scholarship and the stipend will not even cover all of the freshman meal plan, plus there are other things that will be paid directly to the university such as parking passes, fees, etc. it’s an excellent, generous scholarship but it is not full COA.

2 Likes

I guess I’ve read several folks on here who claim that they end up paying very very little, like in the $1500 range for a year with the National Merit when all is said and done. My daughter is one as well, and it PAINS me to walk away from this package, but we are going elsewhere for the programs. We will pay much more, but at least she still got tuition covered at the other place. She’s applying for as many outside scholarships as she can to help with the additional cost. Alabama does an amazing job, but I just don’t think it’s “Her school” anymore.

2 Likes

So, $42K (or $9K all in) at Alabama and full price of around $44K per year at Purdue?
Computer science or Aero Eng at Purdue are top notch. All the chemical and food companies I’ve worked at have hired at Purdue (and GT) for chemical engineering. Otherwise, Alabama seems to really be a great value.

Checked dd’s portal, and she was awarded $1,000 alumni scholarship in addition to the Presidential auto merit. It does not appear there will be more scholarship money forthcoming.

Today was the deadline for accepting McCullough Premed Scholars, so she emailed them to decline. It looks like a great program, but she has a full ride offer at Ole Miss and plans to head there this fall.

4 Likes

My daughter’s $28K scholarship isn’t showing up either despite the fact that she received a hard copy of the scholarship award in the mail. She received that letter back in early fall (October?).

Mine doesn’t show up either, and I just found my copy of what I got in the mail. I looked at “award history” too so I don’t know what’s up. I’ve looked at literally everything I think and I can’t find it anywhere!

Same here. We received the merit letter back in november for 28k but it jas never appeared on the portal.

My son received an email that stated he will receive notification next week of all scholarships received.

Within the University website it states: 2022 Out-of-State Freshman Automatic Merit Scholarships - Qualifying admitted students will automatically receive one of these scholarships. Notifications are sent approximately 2 weeks following admission.

From other parents and students from our area, we understand that these OOS Merit $'s are guaranteed going in. Your student will get an update with the totals this coming week as is stated.

3 Likes

The way I understand it is that they are still updating the scholarship offers on myBama. In response to an email my daughter sent to the scholarship department in January, they answered:

We will release all of our scholarship information online in early March, and you can rely on any offers you have already been awarded through letters to be visible then.

On March 1st she received another email that stated

Late next week, you will receive notification on any scholarships received. All students, regardless of scholarship status, will get alerts via their Crimson email address which will direct you to log into your myBama account.

3 Likes

Has anyone else heard that scholarships will be posted today?

Only heard what email said …late this week…my guess would be tomorrow or Friday
Where did you hear today?

The last couple 2 releases were each on Wednesday, I believe
e

Received today.

1 Like

Before I contact Bama,
WHERE and WHEN does this show up in my son’s BAMA portal?

Son just got email:
" Scholarship notifications for 2022-2023 academic year are now available. If you were selected for a scholarship, your offer can be viewed in myBama."

He did get another $2K UA Leadership/Ach Scholarship,
but no mention of NHRP.

Anyone’s kid see NHRP award in their portal?

Thanks.

Looks like they released the extra scholarships!! I got a 2,500 UA Leadership/Ach Scholarship, which combines with my 28k presidential! They’re so generous with these :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I emailed them last night, and they were super responsive. This morning they sent me an email saying my scholarship portal had been updated. The $28K Presidential has been replaced by $9K Presidential National Housing Scholarship, $1K Provost Academic Scholarship, and a $30,250 Presidential Div Scholarship 2022, for a total of $40,250.

4 Likes

Dd received the same email yesterday, and her award was undated to include $2,000 leadership and $1,000 alumni, along with the $28,000 presidential.

Is that an annual, renewable award?

Congratulations!