University of Alabama Degree good for job in California?

I am currently in my first semester of community college in California and am very interested in going to University of Alabama to experience a new place and because it is so cheap. I plan to move back to California after i graduate to look for a job. I am going to major in accounting and was wondering if getting a degree from University of Alabama would look good on an application in California. Thanks.

There is a large contingent of UA students from California as well as a strong UA parent base that has fallen in love with UA.

Considering that over 60% of the student body at UA is from out of state, I can not see how it would hurt. Rmember, most of the residents of California most likely came from another state as well and moved to CA for a job or other reasons.

There is a UA dad here in Texas that has hired several UA grads recently as he was so impressed with the school.

While you are at UA, or any other school you end up attending, network! All of your classmates have parents that have jobs and may be in HR, over a certain department, etc. Also, take a look at the compaines that recruit at UA in your field. UA has a strong career department and hosts many job fairs.

Good luck

An Accounting degree from Alabama will be very well respected.

However, going to Alabama from OOS will not be “cheap”. Why do you think that?

Mom2collegekids: From what I have searched on google the OOS tuition cost is only $12,475 whereas all of the other colleges I have looked at are around 20,30,40 thousand.

Hey, also do you guys think that it would be smarter for me to transfer after my first year or would I be taking the same classes at my community college. The problem is that I would like to transfer so that I can get on track with them but if I do not need to then I would like to stay because I currently play college soccer for my community college and I have one year left of eligibility at this level.

@Presto9 That is per semester, not per year. OOS tuition is $24,643 per year

Closer to $28,000 per year.
Granted, this is still less than many publics out there, even in California.

<<<
OOS tuition cost is only $12,475.

[QUOTE=""]

[/QUOTE]

That is the “per semester” cost of tuition. The tuition is about $25k per year.

Have you looked into the UA soccer team? If you are really good, have the grades and stats, maybe that would be a fit and possibly a scholarship. May not be a full scholarship, but, who knows something is better than nothing.

Have you also checked to insure that the classes you are enrolled in for this semester and next semester are transferable? That is important. A waste would be staying at the local CC taking classes that do not even transfer.

However, first off, have you visited UA? I would recmmmend that before getting to far along. Especially being a transfer, this should be done with any school you are interested in.

Be sure you meet the California requirements to sit for the CPA Exam, if CPA is your goal. They aren’t identical to the Alabama Board of Accountancy requirements.

You can easily check to see which community college credits will transfer to UA. I’ve found UA very reasonable with transfer credits from community colleges
:
http://stars.troy.edu/

Also - check out transfer scholarships:

http://scholarships.ua.edu/transfer/

Best of luck to you!

Are you a boy or girl? Bama doesn’t have any scholarship money for the men’s soccer team.

A CSU would cost a LOT less for you. Tuition is about $7k.

A UC would cost a lot less for you. Tuition is about $15k.

Stay in CA, education would be significantly better and would also be less expensive. Advise to transfer to one of the UC’s and use your soccer as bargaining for a scholarship. You could save a lot of money that way.

The education for Acctg in Calif would not be “significantly better”, but it would probably be less expensive for you.

Calif only has 2-3 schools that are fully accredited for Accounting, while UA is fully accredited for Accounting.

But, again, you don’t need to spend extra money going OOS.

The problem OP will have is that Accounting is usually an impacted major in public California schools and very hard to transfer into. The transfer adviser at his/her community college should know where is best to apply.

@AlbionGirl Ah yes…forgot about the impacted majors in Calif. Yes, his transfer counselor could tell him which CSU’s he could transfer to.

there IS no men’s soccer team at UA. only women’s. http://www.rolltide.com/