University of Alabama Jewish Fraternities

This is not usually the website I would use for this type of question but everyone on greekrank is very rude unlike the people on this site.
-What Fraternities at UA are historically Jewish, all I’ve heard about is ZBT but are there more?
Also, how is ZBT’s reputation at UA, Old row? new row? Top tier? bottom tier? do they rush many oos students? and any other facts I need to know about them.
Thanks for the help!

I can’t help you, but I like your comments about this site. :wink: Others will weigh in soon to help. Good luck with your decisions.

I believe Sigma Alpha Mu has a chapter or colony, but does not currently have a house. As far as ZBT’s tier designation, you should know better than to ask that here. ZBT (and SAM back in the day) has been a part of The Machine and has been considered Old Row. SAM and ZBT have long had chapters at UA, but apparently SAM went off at some point. They had a house when I was there, but that was a very long time ago.
Alpha Epsilon Pi is another Jewish fraternity that has returned to UA’s campus. ZBT is part of the InterFraternity Council, whereas the others are not. I’m not really sure how that affects anything, though.

According to the Hillel Foundation’s website (http://hillel.ua.edu/faq/), there are around 700 Jewish students at UA. In fact, UA has for many decades welcomed Jewish students. Read more here:http://www.isjl.org/alabama-tuscaloosa-encyclopedia.html

Thank you Southlander, may I ask what the difference is between interfraternity and the UGC Is? Are there any top tier houses in UGC, is it still considered old row or new row? Do UGC fraternities have houses? Are they still the traditional fraternity with a mix of traditions, community service, and parties? How does it work?
Thank you again!

Check out the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life website here: http://greekaffairs.ua.edu/ .
Now let me lay it on the line: asking about “top tier” is considered rude. If you don’t know which fraternities are so-called “top tier,” then it’s highly doubtful you’ll be asked to join one.

You should be looking for a fraternity where you feel welcomed and comfortable, and can be yourself. These guys are going to be your brothers, not conduits to use to get a job. Yes, all Greek groups do pretty much the same thing - parties, philanthrophies, traditions.

For frats, all you need to know for “old row” vs “new row” is the location of the house back when “new row” was introduced.-i.e. when the campus required frats to build on Frat Ln. Old row are orig houses on Univ Blvd. New row are houses that orig built on Frat Lane. Example: Phi Delt is old row and Sigma Chi is new row. While both of these now have newish houses on Univ Blvd, Sigma Chi was but orig was on Frat Ln and Phi Delt was orig on Univ Blvd. (house torn down for stadium). Also keep in mind that new frats on Univ Blvd, or ones that move into old row houses, are not really considered old row, only original ones on Univ Blvd when the distinction between the two row of frats was needed. ZBT would be considered new row because they orig on Frat Ln.

Almost all frats have Jewish members.

I recommend looking for the best fit. Everyone I knew in Greek life had a great time in whatever chapter they were in. All provide very similar, great social life.

Not sure about the fraternities, but the Hillel is very friendly, even to non-Jewish students. One of my son’s roommates is Jewish, and he wanted my son and the other roommates to come with him to an ice cream supper a few nights ago. They gave my son and the others ice cream and were welcoming to them even though they aren’t Jewish. They even told them they could come to Shabbat dinner!

If you are interested in Jewish fraternities, perhaps you could email a student in the Hillel?

ZBT is the only one I can think of. A surprisingly high amount of Jews at Bama though, I think the scholarships draw them in from the Northeast, most are good students.