University of Alabama

Too late to edit, so reposting with an edit…

<<<
Third, he could not name any schools where his students had been accepted for REU’s because they hadn’t applied - he told us they did “supplemental” REU work.
<<

I would love to know who that prof was. His claim that none of his students had applied to REU’s is simply not believable unless he’s very new to UA.

**EDIT…another reason why this prof may have not known any, is that he may predominantly teach freshmen. Freshman applicants rarely apply or get accepted to REU programs since so many REU programs expect Junior standing as a minimum…particularly the better ones…and many will not count AP credits because they want the students to have taken college classes in the major. Someone with 45 AP credits which are mostly a mix of AP History classes, AP English classes, low level AP sciences and no serious STEM classes, is not going to be attractive to a STEM REU.

And what the heck is “supplemental REU work”. Sounds like he may have misheard and didn’t hear the acronym REU. Or maybe he thought the question was regarding applying to the REUs that Bama hosts??? Students are NOT usually encouraged to apply to the REUs at their own campuses.

That said, there have been profs who’ve been asked to meet with visiting students who really aren’t “up” to doing so. Sometimes the intended prof can’t do it, and a replacement is given the duty

This seems like the only school that has people paid to promote it.

As I pointed out that is unusual. Look at the OP (s)he seems to make it pretty clear. Is the OP a student or a parent as well?

What percentage of ACT scorers qualify for this scholarship? I believe it’s 2%. Then once you whittle down all the other aspects that would make someone an interested target, we aren’t talking a large number. Is that why the OP is plugging here on CC?

If someone fits the profile and wants to go to school in Alabama and that’s their top choice, that’s great. How many kids is that? How many earn that award?

It’s not about me. Hey look how well Temple did last year with their scholarship with no one promoting it!

@Chardo - I get it. Some students for HS make a similar choice.

• elite local private HS
  • top ranked magnet HS
  • large local HS with top sports team

Some kids purposefully select the local HS and do very well.

Whats an REU? sorry

Why does someone have to be paid in order to tell others about a great opportunity?

I have never seen UA, but I have heard great things about it.

If you look at the OOS representation you can see lots of CA, PA, IL, NJ students, and more.

Because in their home state their stats might not give them a high enough scholarship to afford it. Or their stats don’t get them into a meets full need school. Or they have no financial need, but siblings and parents unable to afford their EFC. Or they want far away from home.

@ClarinetDad16

I’m not paid to promote UA. I am neither an alumnus nor a parent. I studied engineering at a school in a northeast. After seeing how much debt my peers went into for a slightly more prestigious degree, I’ve personally come to the idea that Alabama should be at least considered by those who have high need but can’t get into the wealthier Ivies or Stanford (i.e. a lot of people). I’m certainly not paid to promote Alabama and instead believe students should consider all of their options and choose whatever school is best for them.

Beyond the top 40 or so schools, most schools are a wash in terms of prestige. Especially if you step out of the region that recruits from the school. Sure, UCONN is ranked higher than Alabama. Neither of them are seen as prestigious and barring a geographical preference or a program that is much stronger in one school than another, it makes sense to go to the cheaper school.

Some may say it’s worth $80,000 of debt to go to Northeastern or a UC or UMICH OOS. And some IS schools are priced very high (example: UIUC) and you have to compromise seriously on quality to stay in state and get a good deal. If you can afford UIUC easily, then it’s a better choice than Alabama. But a partial or full scholarship at Alabama may be ideal.

Bama is a good school and it’s a flagship. By prestige, it ranks higher than Temple.

@soyunchico

REU is research opportunity for undergraduates. It’s an NSF sponsored program for professors to train undergraduate students to do academic research and to provide research opportunities to students at small schools without significant research.

Alabama is a research university and offers REUs:
http://reu.eng.ua.edu/

The scholarship put UA on the radar, but while it was a huge plus, my son didn’t choose UA for the scholarship. I can afford and would have paid for him to go anywhere. For him, UA just felt right. He saw the campus, met the people, watched the championship (conveniently timed during decision period), felt the spirit, and said this is where I want to go. If I hate it, I can always transfer.

@beth’s mom: I am so glad your daughter has been happy with her research experiences and education, that’s all we want for them.

I agree it can be the right school for the right student.

Not being a scientist, I have no clue what supplemental REU work is or means.

But it was not talking to solely one science program, we talked to profs from two different science disciplines. I’ve only been sharing about one prof so far to not belabor my point. There were six conversations with a variety of people and they were fruitless and deflating. It was a three night, two day stay, an expensive trip for us, so we packed in as much as we could. The point of my original post was to simply relay a few details about our experience to prompt others to ask questions before accepting free.

Free is alluring given college tuition price points these days at many schools, we’re all on budgets. Many top students from around the country accept free at UA, which deepened my curiosity. I also think families need to ask just as many questions if they’re taking on six figures in student loans…or looking at their community college with an eye towards transferring, what will the value of that education ultimately be?

At UA, these were interesting people, with interesting research/projects, they were clearly passionate about the school. The first few conversations on the agenda lasted less than 15 minutes… I began to worry. I joined all but one more. After around a 30-45 minute discussion about them, their work, the programs, one would think they would want to know why this young person was sitting there. When she asked a question about a specific science major, one listed on the website, the prof couldn’t/wouldn’t discuss it, saying most students don’t avail themselves of that major and she should change. Please put yourself in my shoes for a second. I’m sitting next to her, she’s studied this subject for years and loves it, and this man told her to walk away and do something else. She had already taken a course in this subject at the college level, it’s what she wants to do. It was beyond dismissive of him, so as her parent that was an eye-opener/red flag. The only reason I didn’t end the conversation then was because I didn’t want to influence her decision. She pressed and he produced the sheet of paper describing the major he thought she should do - without even asking her one question about herself. When you couple that with the limp back and forth about REU’s, and that she could wash dishes for a semester (she’s washed plenty of dishes in a lab, and mopped the floors and cleaned/dusted, and has been trusted with expensive equipment for years), the conversation came to a natural and polite stopping point. I could share why other conversations were fruitless and deflating for us, suffice to say you have a clear example here of our experience.

Free school is great for some, and free is a head turner for many I’m sure, but parents and students need to ask and understand what they’re getting for free. If that equation works for you, and you want what they’re offering, that’s wonderful. As I wrote earlier, for some students this would be a very good value. We were very hopeful that free would work for us, it’s why I spent the money to visit. I’m glad we asked many questions because it was clear, in the end, that free would not work for our family. Asking questions doesn’t have to cost anything and I’m sharing our experience to encourage families to ask questions before accepting free at face value.

1. STEM MBA (I have a deep interest in business as well... Why would the stem/MBA at UA be something you would want to do? Just curious since in business the school ranking really does matter... especially for grad school, particularly if you want get a job in investment banking, finance or consulting. Firms really like to emphasize (rightly or wrongly) what schools all of their associates/partners came from.

Amazing to me how often threads overflowing with love for Alabama become infected by folks with disdain for that love of Alabama.

Why not just ignore threads about Alabama? Wouldn’t life be easier?

@cheetahgirl121

The STEM MBA may or may not be a good choice. I’d recommend Alabama undergrad and top-10 MBA after a few years of work experience if it’s doable. Business school is about networking so the network of a “top” business school might be worth it. MBA is not for everyone. It costs a lot of money and is only worth doing if you can rationalize the ROI, factoring in the opportunity costs.

The STEM MBA is for science and engineering/tech students, not the traditional undergraduate business student. UA developed this degree plan, and from what I have seen, it is a successful program - I believe they graduated the first class from this MBA program recently (so essentially has been in place over 5 years). I know DD’s entering freshman class fall 2014, they accepted 300 UG students into the STEM MBA program - and of course, along the way, there has been attrition. There were 3 professors for DD’s grade level (and the head of the program also taught one class section) - and each of these professors follow the student (so DD has had the same professor for these 1.5 hour seminar classes each semester, and she likes the professor).

@x793n28 If I had that same experience, I too would have chosen a different school. Our visit went differently, all positive, maybe because my son had no specific interest (beyond “engineering”) at the time.

36,800 scored 32 or higher on ACT (98th percentile).
73,347 scored 1450 or higher on new SAT (96th percentile).

i have no idea how much overlap there is for students who take both tests. let’s just say about 85,000 students have good enough stats to get the full tuition UA scholarship.

i think it’s worth letting all of them know about it and letting them decide whether it’s a valid option for them.

also, a 30-31 ACT or SAT equivalent gets 2/3 tuition scholarship, and a 29 gets half-tuition scholarship. so there is significant $$$ available to many more students who fall shy of the 32 ACT. a 2/3 or 1/2 tuition scholarship from UA might still be the best option for many students over their in-state options.

my son fits the profile for the full scholarship. he has been accepted and is still applying other places. but in this incredible stressful process, it is a huge relief having an affordable option locked down in case the others don’t pan out.

personally i am very grateful that someone told me about the UA Presidential.

@STEM2017

When choosing a college, parents and students need to be critical. Selecting a college is the first “major” choice for a student, and students spend four of their most formative years in college. The point of this thread is not solely to praise UA. People need to weigh the pros and cons of UA and come to an informed decision for themselves. Going to Alabama is not about drinking the Kool Aid. Alabama has unique opportunities (such as the scholarships) that are hard to find anywhere else. But a parent or student has to value these opportunities over those found elsewhere.

For some, Alabama is ideal. For others, it may not be. It’s not possible to reduce the college search to a single dimension, cost of attendance. And not everyone has the stats for a scholarship at Alabama either. Though that should not be a reason to not choose Alabama, as you can surround yourself with high achieving peers from around the country with diverse perspectives.

also, it seems that Temple has discontinued the automatic 32 ACT scholarship. so there’s that. anyone got the scoop on this?

hey @STEM2017 !!! how is the college search going?

@STEM2017 Amazing to me how often threads overflowing with love for Alabama become infected by folks with disdain for that love of Alabama.

Why not just ignore threads about Alabama? Wouldn’t life be easier?

Well, I am not going to demonize anyone asking questions about specific reasons why or why not to chose a particular school or program ( or explaining why they made their decision… I want that info) . Due diligence is an important component in ultimately making the best decision on where to go for college/grad school/job since ultimately that 4 years or more will greatly influence job opportunities and one’s future. I am sure it would be easier to ignore conversation that is bothersome, but I do not think that is a good recipe for decision making IMO.

@frontpage Constructive and informed criticism from those with direct knowledge is ALWAYS welcome…in all threads.

But how does “are you being paid to promote Alabama?” help anyone? What does that question accomplish other than to instigate and incite?

Unhelpful and unwelcome.

ETA: frontpage your comments in this thread are very helpful. My thoughts are not directed toward you.

@Wien2NC so if there are 80,000 kids who have the scores. Out of 3.5 million HS graduates. Let’s assume those are seniors,

Back out students who don’t have the grades. Then back out the students choosing top 50 national universities. Back out Top LACs. Then students staying instate, mainly at their flagship. Recruited athletes. Musicians. Legacies. Wealthy families. Students not willing to live in Alabama.

So this scholarship might interest 0.1% of high school graduates? Maybe 0.3% at the high end??

Alabama should be considered by many of these kids, especially those taking on high levels of debt. Many engineering students (who get into MIT) probably shouldn’t choose Alabama over MIT. But Alabama free vs. $60k (or more!) debt at Northeastern, RPI, NYU, or BU (or a top LAC). There are only a handful of schools that are both need blind and meet all need and they are all small. What about a family with a high EFC but needs aid for whatever reason? What about a premed who’s going to take on further debt in medical school? What about the kid who likes Alabama better than their flagship, and who also happens to qualify for a scholarship? What if your flagship is Alabama? It’s a serious question.

Lots of smart kids are swayed by prestige even if Alabama is plenty prestigious for what they want to do. Not everyone wants to go into quant finance or investment banking. Not everyone’s family is wealthy or wants to spend loads of money on their undergraduate education. They should hear about Alabama.